What's your favorite method of mining.

Dr_Appleman

Do you like going deep into caverns and fend of monsters for the most treasure you can get without spending lot of resources as long as you don't die or do you go deep into shafts and work through your collection of pickaxes or do you just let your quarry do all the work?

For me it's shaftmining since I like to take my time, enjoy some music and get some time to plan my next move plus it doesn't leave a giant mark on the landscape like quarries.

• Moderators

Quarry

Except without the quarry. I'm the quarry, basically.

I choose a chunk of 10*10 or 20*20 a bit underground and start stripmining down 'til I hit lava or bedrock. I like mining

I hate when my mind goes wandering to a " ooh! iron over there!.... ohh! I saw a ruby in that hole! Gotta reach it... Ooh! More coal!"

I always go spelunking and eventually get lost in a maze...

I like to hit blocks with a pick. Doesn't matter if it's a iron pick or a stone pick any pick. I'll even hit gravel and dirt and sand with a pick because switching to a shovel takes too long. I like it when the block finishes mining it makes a sound that I picked it up. DId you ever have a full inventory and didn't got the pickup noise and you don't notice and then you go to leave and you realize ooops I didn't pick up them ores? I think this is a mining anecdote we can all relate to.

I staircase mine cautiously until I burst into a cave and shit the bed. I always intend to spiral staircase mine with a shaft down the middle to send daylight down to the bottom but I always just regular staircase because it's early game and I don't want to put in the effort.

I staircase mine cautiously until I burst into a cave and shit the bed. I always intend to spiral staircase mine with a shaft down the middle to send daylight down to the bottom but I always just regular staircase because it's early game and I don't want to put in the effort.

Early game, I spiral a 5x5 area down. At the bottom of each flight, you can dig out and around the shaft and create rooms. Good for early game survival and super easy to expand into something awesome late game if you don't mind the Umbrella Corporation-esque digs.

Spelunking.

I only mine stuff that's on the walls, floors and ceilings of caves.

Once I'm at the stage of automating, it's RP2 all the way, with a tunnel bore at one above bedrock level.

Actually, if I'm feeling like a bag of dicks, I'll build an airship that uses BuildCraft miners.

IC2 Solar Arrays into Power Converters make the miners dig and an incredible speed; much faster than a quarry.

But the mess is enormous. Like, painfully bad for the environment.

I generally dig a staircase into level 11 or 12 and then dig in one direction until my pickaxe breaks or my Inventory gets full.

Later in the game when I have over 15 diamonds I make a mining turtle and use the "excavate 20" command and it works like a MUCH cheaper quarry.

I generally dig a staircase into level 11 or 12 and then dig in one direction until my pickaxe breaks or my Inventory gets full.

Later in the game when I have over 15 diamonds I make a mining turtle and use the "excavate 20" command and it works like a MUCH cheaper quarry.

Do you have the MiscPeripherals mod installed? With it you can install chunkloaders into your turtles so they continue working while you're not around.

once you have the gear, a redstone energy cell + filler will absolutely dominate the landscape. it is ridiculously fast. You have to collect your stuff manually but it is how I make room and gather resources for my large underground builds.

I used this a few times, but it is both ridiculously bothersome to collect all that shit, and very, VERY annoying if you hit lava. Say goodbye to your ores unless you stop the filler, and flood all the lava that is now hanging in midair.

Do you have the MiscPeripherals mod installed? With it you can install chunkloaders into your turtles so they continue working while you're not around.

No, I don't have it but I don't need it since it is 2 chunks aways from my home wich has a chunkloader in it.

I normally staircase mine down to level 11 and clear out a large area.

Then on all the walls in this area (normaly an expanding rectangle) I have entrances to mines with x2 block spaces between each mine.

All these mines leading off from this area are just straight lines of 2x1 tunnels extending as far as I can be arsed.

Alltough that is how I mine on a server or any normal world. When trying a "the new mod pack" I had to re'think all that as the ores are spread out.

No more hitting level 11 and sending of a bore in a straight line. A step in the right direction IMO. Unless you hate mining, in which case it's prob' best to find a different game without mining in the title.