Couple of (possibly strange) questions about the Platform

Flenix

Ok, I have two questions about the platform really.

1. Why is the login system different to that of the forums? My username is taken there, which I am NOT happy about. I don't want some fake Flenix distributing a modpack under my name, when I own the Flenix minecraft account. I pride myself in being on good terms with some high end modders, and I don't want that ruined if someone doesn't ask them for the appropriate permissions and they thing it's me. (On a related note, is there a way to search people there? I'd love to see if he's actually made a modpack or anything)

2. Why is the permissions thing so overlooked? Honestly, I read through the T+C and it really gives me the feeling you don't care about them at all. They're an important thing to factor in, and both the modpack creators and Technic could get in serious trouble if they're just ignored.

I understand Technic can't check through all the packs themselves, but some better T+C would at least cover you and mean it's purely the author's fault if they choose to ignore copyright law.

Point 1: That's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes. You can't moan about because there is nothing you can do.

Point 2: You're right. Most of us who actually know about how the internet works don't give a damn about permissions. We collect the ones we can, but we aren't worried about getting into trouble because nothing is going to happen. Please read the latest P.A.I.N.S match for why.

They're an important thing to factor in, and both the modpack creators and Technic could get in serious trouble if they're just ignored.

Actually no, only the author and host of the pack are responsible, Technic can not be held accountable for any packs except their own because it doesn't host them

The author is not responsible for any contents linked or referred to from his pages – If any damage occurs by the use of information presented there, only the author of the respective pages might be liable, not the one who has linked to these pages.

The Technic team is the author of the site, the "author of the respective pages" are the users that create the modpacks and add them to the index

This was argued in the PAINS match as SXS said but can also be found on any index only site there is, just search "watch online" and look at the disclaimer

Why is the permissions thing so overlooked?

Probably because you don't even need them.

They're an important thing to factor in, and both the modpack creators and Technic could get in serious trouble if they're just ignored.

No, they're completely optional, you don't need them. Nobody can get into any trouble because there is no legal requirements on any mods.

I understand Technic can't check through all the packs themselves, but some better T+C would at least cover you and mean it's purely the author's fault if they choose to ignore copyright law.

Yeah, mods aren't copyrighted, and you don't need permissions as I've stated before. The only "copyright" mods hold are the Curse forums 'poopoo we don't understand how copyright works poopoo' thing. (HINT: The fake copyrights Curse forums requires modders to put on their mods is meaningless, since it isn't a real copyright.)

• Forum Administrators

Why don't you go here:

http://cocatalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?DB=local&PAGE=First

And search for any mod's copyright. If its not there or in any other database its bull shit. Minecraft modding is so fucking dramatic.

You don't know much about how copyright works. None of you do and you should all stop playing lawyer.

To the OP. As to your first question I am sorry your name was taken. This happens all the time all over the internet. For your second question, there have already been several threads discussing permissions and the Platform. I suggest you search for them if you want further answers.

You don't know much about how copyright works. None of you do and you should all stop playing lawyer.

To the OP. As to your first question I am sorry your name was taken. This happens all the time all over the internet. For your second question, there have already been several threads discussing permissions and the Platform. I suggest you search for them if you want further answers.

I'm glad to see there was at least one sensible response here. I don't really mind all that much about the name being taken as long as the guy isn't gonna do a load of bad stuff with it, I know there are 3 or 4 other Flenix's around the web (I've even spoken to a few in the past)- I was just curious as to why they didn't use the XenForo database. Would have been a simpler approach...

I know there's been many discussions about technic and permissions in general, both here and on various other sites I've been on. I was just trying to kick the hornets nest a little there and see what the general consensus is around here... Personally I think it's common courtesy you ask the author, my server has 96 mods and legit permissions for every one and I was only turned down once. I just don't understand the drama really, it's not that hard to be polite so I don't get why people really are so defensive about it.

At the end of the day though, "Modders" aren't directly modding minecraft. They're using the forge API, all their code is original and unique, 100% written by them so it is their property.

I won't bother replying to the other comments, they're just generic people who want to defend what they believe and that's their decision. Everyone is entitled to say/believe what they want, I wont argue with that. I wasn't aware Technic didn't directly distribute the packs though, so yeah they can't be held responsible directly I guess.

I was gonna say something else, totally forgot what it was. Ah well :)

Don't know about where you are from, but in the US we file for copyright with our copyright office. If the copyright is legitimate it will be filed and recognized with them, and then will be stored in that database. So unless im missing something here, what is it that I don't seem to understand?

• Forum Administrators

I'm glad to see there was at least one sensible response here. I don't really mind all that much about the name being taken as long as the guy isn't gonna do a load of bad stuff with it, I know there are 3 or 4 other Flenix's around the web (I've even spoken to a few in the past)- I was just curious as to why they didn't use the XenForo database. Would have been a simpler approach...

I know there's been many discussions about technic and permissions in general, both here and on various other sites I've been on. I was just trying to kick the hornets nest a little there and see what the general consensus is around here... Personally I think it's common courtesy you ask the author, my server has 96 mods and legit permissions for every one and I was only turned down once. I just don't understand the drama really, it's not that hard to be polite so I don't get why people really are so defensive about it.

At the end of the day though, "Modders" aren't directly modding minecraft. They're using the forge API, all their code is original and unique, 100% written by them so it is their property.

I won't bother replying to the other comments, they're just generic people who want to defend what they believe and that's their decision. Everyone is entitled to say/believe what they want, I wont argue with that. I wasn't aware Technic didn't directly distribute the packs though, so yeah they can't be held responsible directly I guess.

I was gonna say something else, totally forgot what it was. Ah well :)

Most of the top modpacks on the Platform have full permissions. Packs that go the extra mile tend to rate higher with players and earn more respect. (They are also usually better crafted overall) No one here is saying "fuck modders" or anything. We all appreciate what they do.

Don't know about where you are from, but in the US we file for copyright with our copyright office. If the copyright is legitimate it will be filed and recognized with them, and then will be stored in that database. So unless im missing something here, what is it that I don't seem to understand?

In the US anything you create is immediately protected under copyright law. You do not have to file for copyright to have copyright. Filing for copyright just gives you a piece of paper and lets people look up your copyright. In law, you even have a couple months after a copyright complaint is filed to file your copyright and have it still be admissible in court.

A lot of people seem to think that it is that the copyright is worth nothing. That is wrong. The real reason that modders get laughed at for throwing a fit is because they are attempting to control free redistribution (with credit) of a freely distributed work. There might be a ToS, but you can't get in any real trouble as long as you don't try to claim it is yours, sell it, or both. This would be like if I made a program that causes your computer farts to sparkle, distributed it for free, then getting angry when someone rehosts it without ads, and telling them to remove the link.

Most of the top modpacks on the Platform have full permissions. Packs that go the extra mile tend to rate higher with players and earn more respect. (They are also usually better crafted overall) No one here is saying "fuck modders" or anything. We all appreciate what they do.

In the US anything you create is immediately protected under copyright law. You do not have to file for copyright to have copyright. Filing for copyright just gives you a piece of paper and lets people look up your copyright. In law, you even have a couple months after a copyright complaint is filed to file your copyright and have it still be admissible in court.

Can't you only take a copy right based case to court if there were monetary damages? Which mods shouldn't have and would get them sued if they did? I mean they can't actually DO anything with that copyright.

• Forum Administrators

Can't you only take a copy right based case to court if there were monetary damages? Which mods shouldn't have and would get them sued if they did? I mean they can't actually DO anything with that copyright.

That is not a discussion to have here. I am not a lawyer so I can't give you a solid answer on that.

I'm glad to see there was at least one sensible response here. I don't really mind all that much about the name being taken as long as the guy isn't gonna do a load of bad stuff with it, I know there are 3 or 4 other Flenix's around the web (I've even spoken to a few in the past)

Few things about this:

"I'm glad to see there was at least one sensible response here."

Really? You have gotten many relevent answers to your questions. A few directed you toward my little debate a while ago which, if you had read, probably would have answered a few of your questions.

" I don't really mind all that much about the name being taken as long as the guy isn't gonna do a load of bad stuff with it, I know there are 3 or 4 other Flenix's around the web (I've even spoken to a few in the past)- "

Am I the only one missing the relevance this has? The internet is so vast I thought most would know to expect the cool names to be taken.

...I was just trying to kick the hornets nest a little there and see what the general consensus is around here...Personally I think it's common courtesy you ask the author, my server has 96 mods and legit permissions for every one and I was only turned down once.

"...I was just trying to kick the hornets nest a little there and see what the general consensus is around here..."

Kicking of hornets nests normaly does not end up well for forum members. Believe me, I've been kellerd.

"Personally I think it's common courtesy you ask the author, my server has 96 mods and legit permissions for every one and I was only turned down once."

As a modpack maker/custom server operator myself, I would do the same if I had time in my life.

So yes it is nice to go to the modders and ask, but in reality it does not matter as they cannot lodge a formal complaint.

A lot of people seem to think that it is that the copyright is worth nothing. That is wrong.

Funny thing is it really is worth nothing. IF they can prove that their idea is 100% unique then they would be worth something. Sure their idea for this mod theme and that mechanic might be unique, but it is fundamentally based on minecraft code thus it is not unique.

Modders can say all they want about how their idea is the only one out there and for sake of example lets say that it is. There is not mod like it and it does not even share item names with other mods (That bit does not matter, just exaggerating). Hell we'll even say it's an amazing mod and people care about it. Now lets say they post a copyright that modpacks cannot use it. Modpack makers like it so much they use it anyways. Modder throws a his fit and tries legal actions. They will be ignored, 100%. Their code is based upon a product already copyrighted legitimately.

No case exists.

If I am not mistaken (I maybe on this point as this is secondhand knowledge), a modder (The name eludes me) actually tried to peruse legal action and failed miserably. This just goes to show you that what I have said is true. Talk to any lawyer, you will get the same answer.