Bring Forestry/Extra bees to tekkit!

legspert9

Reason one: intergalactic trade hubs.

Reason two: biogas engines (add a steve's carts tree farm or an arboretum and you have easy saplings). clean, renewable energy (plus rocket fuel i think).

Reason three: bees. in general.

Reason four: bee genetics. because a genetic research lab add so much to a space base.

Reason five: with time, extra bees can bee a substitute for ic2 uu-matter.

Reason six: without ic2 cells, cans are a great alternative.

Feel free to make arguments for or against adding these.

I can't speak for the Technic team here, but as far as I know it's unlikely to come back because of the mod maker's decision a while back (around Minecraft 1.1) to basically destroy any worlds with Forestry in using the Technic launcher. This has been removed for a long time now, but from what I've heard they're reluctant to include a mod whose maker is so willing to target the players to get at pack owners without warning, so, although they've been able to reintroduce the mod, they haven't.

We're not saying that it's bad--I love the bee crap and the tree breeding, even if Forestry machines don't play well with TE conduits/engines in 1.4.7. It's just that there are outside reasons--politics, really--and it's best not to get into it.

As Weng Shu roughly said it once, politics is like high school drama without parental intervention.

We're using forestry in big dig. To a certain extent I am okay with forestry. And ultimately, the buck stops with me when it comes to what mod goes into what pack. So I could probably get forestry into technic if I wanted to. That saiiid, I'm really not a big fan of forestry, or bees, and I'm kind of considering pulling it from Big Dig. It's A Thing To Do, but every design decision in that mod seems intent on stopping people from using it. Even to a point of punishing players for heavily mutating bees to be able to use Extra Bees more. It's gotten kind of ridiculous. It's definitely not going into Tekkit.

Forestry has some really cool bits, but a large portion of it is just irritating. Recently, the irritating bits have been creeping into the cool bits. See multi farms. Multi block programmable farms should be awesomely cool. And are. Except they require a, finite, forestry exclusive, ore in order to work thus making them non-renewable. Making automated farms nonrenewable was an interesting design choice, and by interesting I mean infuriating. TBH I don't even bother with forestry anymore since they made that change. It just doesn't have enough cool to make it worth building up forestry tech in my worlds.

The desired part of forestry, bee breeding, is just a simple research/upgrade mechanic with a mandated downtime and free simple resources with the opportunity of rarer rewards after enough effort and luck.

It's not a unique mechanic and the specific implementation in forestry is average at best (and only then with extra bees added in).

Crops from IC2 are a similar mechanic, as is thaumcraft research and villages from millenaire.

I like the mechanic, but surely there's a different mod with a similar mechanic out there that could be considered. Or even created from scratch (like say ant breeding or "conjuration spell research").

That's kind of funny. I always consider bees to be a fun thing, not a utility thing. If you approach it was an amusing mini game to just mess around with, then it is much more relaxing. I just make a dozen hive building things and just lob bees in at random. I treated the biofuel chain and the farms as the utility things, but with MFR having such a sexy biofuel thing and forestry's multifarms moving to DRM land with apatite as its lock, it is just not worth it for the amusement of random mutant bees.

Forestry would be great, but I don't think it's going to be re-added. Consider for a moment that Sengir thinks attacking the end-user directly is a valid means of getting his way.

I don't trust him enough.

I manually added the 1.5.1 version - works just fine. :D Go do it!

You just need your friends to download the .jar, manually put that in their mods folders and update their config if it clashes with any other mod you have.

You just need your friends to download the .jar, manually put that in their mods folders and update their config if it clashes with any other mod you have.

A custom modpack would probably be easier.

or publish a modpack ;)

The multiblock farms have been a curse for me, I just cannot generate the apatite required to maintain them...

If another mod could somehow introduce a way to make forestry compatible fertilizer through a mechanic similar to the plantballs and dirt combo, that'd be great as I'd have my MFR wheat farms producing the plantballs which would in turn fertilize my forestry-bred-walnut tree farm to feed my frame construction machines which will assist in my bee productivity...

I doubt that will happen. There are renewable fertilizers in forestry. However, only the non-renewable apatite based fertilizer works in the multi-farms. That is clearly intentional and I suspect that any workaround will mysteriously break on the next forestry update should it gain any real popularity.

I doubt that will happen. There are renewable fertilizers in forestry. However, only the non-renewable apatite based fertilizer works in the multi-farms. That is clearly intentional and I suspect that any workaround will mysteriously break on the next forestry update should it gain any real popularity.

Why he can't get that we love to make PURE automation eludes me. My endgame normally involves everything being 100% automated and self sustaining. I find steves carts + elements of forestry (Bio Fuel stuffs) to be great mods to accomplish this on this topic. Overall, I'd say BC and AE help to reach that goal a lot.

You should see the basic wheat autofarm I made in 1.3.2 Tekkit using only RP and a little BC. Was easily scalable and could have a fertilizer system added onto the gantry arm.