Is FTB any good?

question, what are your guys's specs? as im on integreated graphics, and get around 35-60 fps in ftb, even in dire's world (which is actually quite intensive, considering he has so much stuff going on at once)

(in case your wondering, here's my exact specs:

CPU: Quad Core i5-3330 @ 3ghz

ram: 8gb ddr3 @ 1600mhz

gpu: intel hd 2500 (and like i said, im on integreated graphics ;))

the rest of the info really shouldnt effect minecraft, other then hdd read/write speeds, but only when loading minecraft and minecraft worlds/saves)

also, i play both, as i like both, if i had to choose though, defintley technic, as it was actually the first time i ever played with mods (other then when i found out about dw20, and could not get his s4 lets play mods put together completley, and hence only had a few mods, i was however, able to get the main one that interested me working, logistics pipes :D, which is now completley outdated, and replaced by applied energsitics, lol)

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is their modpack submission rules:

Permissions:

All private mod packs are required to have complete permissions for each and every mod included. This includes api's such as CoFH core and immibis core. Permissions that have been given to the official FTB mod packs DO NOT COUNT towards a private public modpack. Permissions found in the Central Mod Permissions page do count. The Private in the name refers to the fact that they are not in the public section of the FTB launcher. Aside from that there is nothing private about them, and as such, the private modpack permissions spreadsheet and all permissions given that refer to private modpacks, do not apply.

To keep submissions consistent, this is the required format for the mods and permissions section. An example text file with a number of mods is included in the example zip available at the bottom of this post. Each mod should be listed separately like so,

Mod Name - Developer (permission)

Permission can be demonstrated 2 ways.

• You can have a direct link to a screenshot of the permission policy, screenshot of a private conversation or a specific forum post where permission is granted. This includes the FTB Central Mod Permissions page, you should link the appropriate post. You cannot link the Minecraft Forum topic, you must take a screenshot of the policy, upload it somewhere and link it.
  • If your pack has a public page listing all mods and outlining permission for them, you can just list the mod names and authors in the text file and link the page in the Permissions Page section. Simply linking each mods page is not sufficient, you must copy the permissions policy to your page. I advise doing permissions in the text file instead of trying to build a page.

After receiving the pack we will review the permissions, contact you if there are any problems. Once the pack has been approved, it will be uploaded on the upload day, which is Thursday. We will notify you when it is available.

Once your modpack has been approved, you may post a topic in the 3rd party modpack section advertising the pack.

Here is mine:

Screw permissions! Upload!

Ah yes, I thought as much.

This is why there's going to be very few community packs submitted to FTB, no one is going to feel like asking permissions for 50 mods. I'm not saying it's not disrespectful to upload a modpack without modder's permission, but still.

Ah yes, I thought as much.

This is why there's going to be very few community packs submitted to FTB, no one is going to feel like asking permissions for 50 mods. I'm not saying it's not disrespectful to upload a modpack without modder's permission, but still.

If it's only a pack for you and some friends then there's no point in having permissions. But I see these huge packs on the technic forums with thousands of downloads and obvious effort put into it, and don't even bother posting permissions. A majority just ask you to link them and they don't care enough to do so.

FTB is completely different now when compared the Technic. I like to consider the new Tekkit the next generation of mods. While FTB is stil clinging on to the last remaining threads of IC2

FTB has no future in its current state. It's still a good pack though but playing feed the beast will be viewed the same as playing Tekkit Classic in no time. It's more of a novelty.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they will have to get rid of IC2 sooner or later. I'm glad Technic made the jump and completely ditched IC2 and RP2, it's made the game experience a lot more fun, and the pack is a bit more future-proof.

I find it amusing that a few months ago I said RP2 is irreplaceable. Now, with MFR back and things like Redstone in Motion even if it was in a modpack I was playing I doubt I would use it.

Really all it has going for it right now is how 'vannila' it is. You could literally just slot redpower into vanilla minecraft and you wouldn't have to change textures, mechanics or anything. Not that that would ever happen of course.

I still miss RedPower tubes; nothing else was so simple while still being intellectually interesting. BC automatic crafting requires you to think through everything before building anything and use tons of complicated logic gates if you don't like having your everything thrown on the ground. AE autocrafting just doesn't seem to fit with Minecraft the same way and in my opinion its elegant simplicity is just the flip side of not having to think much to use it.

I still miss RedPower tubes; nothing else was so simple while still being intellectually interesting. BC automatic crafting requires you to think through everything before building anything and use tons of complicated logic gates if you don't like having your everything thrown on the ground. AE autocrafting just doesn't seem to fit with Minecraft the same way and in my opinion its elegant simplicity is just the flip side of not having to think much to use it.

Yeah, that's also the only thing I ever used in RP2. The tube system was pretty smart, but not very resource-intensive.

That's debatable. Pretty sure they were working on it at the same time. Just you know...going in a different direction.
They very well might have worked on it in parallel but their announcement did come out quickly after technic platform was announced. Never mind that FTB "custom modpacks" feature was anything but what the name would suggest.

How does FTB compare to technic in term of players.

They both seem equal in terms of YouTube support. Especially now that CaptainSparklez is playing Hexxit.

No one can say for sure, but I'm pretty sure that the amount of Technic players is about equal to the amount of FTB players.

t's funny on the FTB forums the only thing the members have to say about Technic is "no permissions", then they repeat that sentence over and over again. I wonder how long it will take before people realize that Minecraft is a copyrighted game, and technically the modders should be happy that they even get to mod the game. So why are there permissions? Do I need permissions to download a picture of the mona lisa which someone scribbled over?

t's funny on the FTB forums the only thing the members have to say about Technic is "no permissions", then they repeat that sentence over and over again. I wonder how long it will take before people realize that Minecraft is a copyrighted game, and technically the modders should be happy that they even get to mod the game. So why are there permissions? Do I need permissions to download a picture of the mona lisa which someone scribbled over?

I'd go over and tell them so, but I'd probably be banned.

"Go home an play your hacked stolen malware- because Tekket has no permissins."

Maybe. I dunno.

I'd go over and tell them so, but I'd probably be banned.

"Go home an play your hacked stolen malware- because Tekket has no permissins."

Maybe. I dunno.

I just created an FTB account, but I'm too scared to start up the conversation. I would like at least some of those people to look at this thread.

EDIT: I'm guessing they wouldn't ban you if you put up a real good argument.