Is FTB any good?

As far as actual modpacks go, FTB and Tekkit Lite are nearly identical. Stuff like the launcher and website and community are where the differences arise.

They just can't let IC2 go! Their 1.5 beta pack has a dev build in it!

Adding/removing mods would be a nice thing to see on the Technic Launcher.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And zips. But, hey, if they can do it, why can't we? =)

Would be a bit hard, considering how MultiMC is built to do that, but the Magic Launcher isn't.

How is that relevant? Is their launcher is based on MultiMC and ours is based on Magic Launcher?

Note: Everything that I say will be based on the default modpacks.

I quite like both Tekkit and FTB. While I agree that the Technic Launcher is far superior to that of FTB, I think that the amount of magic mods FTB has sort of balances it out. I absolutely love Thaumcraft and Mystcraft. Also Forestry. And am I the only one who loves Gregtech? It inspires new players to use machines they never did before. Before, most new players went straight for the Macerator, without even considering the Pulverizer or Rock Crusher. I mean, I didn't, because I find making starter IC2 power annoying, but you get the gist. However, New Tekkit did the same thing by removing IC2 entirely. And yes, I know it isn't updated to 1.5 yet.

And am I the only one who loves Gregtech?

Pretty much. Most people here dislike it due to the amount of tedium it adds, and the fact that some of the author's actions can be pretty dick-ish.

It does feature a few cool machines, though.

I really do think that technic take a lot of care into their modpacks.making stunning artwork for the launchers, making very advanced coded web pages to show off the modpacks and a very nice website that you can easily find a modpack and download it just with a click of a button. Plus it has a lot more ease of use over the ftb launcher. But I do agree that ftb has a wider range of mods but the custom modpack option on the technic launcher beats the problem by making your own modpack. Even through there were permission problems at the start. It has all been fixed and everything seems much better now and is far superior to ftb

Yeah, which would you rather play:

Magic World, with a bunch of well known, familiar, and borderline boring mods.

-or-

Hexxit, with an epic webpage, cool name, all sorts of exciting new mods....

Also I believe that the explanation for the permissions problem was that KakerMix decided that he wasn't going to spend the time to ask all the modders since he was making Technic for a specific community and was technically private.

Of course, then the Yogscast picked it up and it spawned its own community and then

"Hey. I don't remember this KakerMix asking me for permission!!!"

Sumthin like that.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep Feed The Beast is pretty awesome you should go try it, what's that no I'm not from FTB...ok maybe

Just that. It seems to be a decent amount of effort to install on a mac, and I dont want to get it if it sucks. I really like RP, RC, and forestry, to i was thinking about giving it a shot.

Oh those millions of modpacks that you see that people don't get permission for and are poorly edited?

Quite honestly, the Technic Platform probably wipes the vast majority of bonuses of FtB out completely, since they're mostly mods. As it is, there's not much you'll get from FtB which you can't get just as easily, if not more easily, by just looking through some of the Platform packs and picking one you like.

Their different packs...

Very weird, I imported both Tekkit and FTB into MultiMC, allocated 2 gb of RAM, and guess what! Tekkit: 50 fps, FTB: 20 fps.

It must be some mod. I dunno.

I have tried allocating more RAM to ftb.

You can do the same thing with FTB but you need permissions from the creators.

But I do agree that ftb has a wider range of mods but the custom modpack option on the technic launcher beats the problem by making your own modpack.

Hmm...Oh wait they're two different type of packs

Yeah, which would you rather play:

Magic World, with a bunch of well known, familiar, and borderline boring mods.

-or-

Hexxit, with an epic webpage, cool name, all sorts of exciting new mods....

Also I believe that the explanation for the permissions problem was that KakerMix decided that he wasn't going to spend the time to ask all the modders since he was making Technic for a specific community and was technically private.

Of course, then the Yogscast picked it up and it spawned its own community and then

"Hey. I don't remember this KakerMix asking me for permission!!!"

Sumthin like that.

Time to teach you a lesson http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/launcher-v2-update.22386/

Plus the ftb launcher looks crap compared to the new technic launcher and the technic launcher is easier to use too.

Mod edit: Bloody hell, learn to edit instead of multipost.

Oh those millions of modpacks that you see that people don't get permission for and are poorly edited?

Are you some sort of uber fanboy? Have you ever heard of multi quote?

Why are permissions such a strong point of yours.

Redistributing free content is not a big deal as you make it seem.

In the end people have their own opinions =)

Note: I use both not just FTB

Since everybody said what they thought about FTB here's what we think about Technic (I asked this question on the forums and this is basicly what everyone said)

Technic is good if you want to make quick modpacks and distribute them, since nobody really gives a damn about permissions (on their site they're just tossing around modpacks like kitten toys, and the mod makers don't really care about the technic site anyway since there are over 4k something modpacks on there that don't have permissions)

FTB is good if you want to make a highly official modpack and get it well known. You need permissions before you can do a leap from the Technic launcher to the FTB launcher, and you also need a lot of publicity.

You can also start off with FTB and just give people a list of mods to download incase you think you'll be turned down from FTB for using the Technic launcher, which I doubt.

As for playing things, either one is fine. The FTB launcher comes with modpacks that certain Youtubers use and also some really good official packs, while the technic pack comes with (He's not talking about the Official ones we like those honestly :D) tons of low-quality modpacks (weee zeppelin mod for 1.5.4 totes updated come download this modpack now) but there are a lot of them so you can occasionally find a few gems in the haystack that catch your eye.

Nobody's going to come find you and kill you if you use a modpack that doesn't have permissions, though. They'll probably come and kill the person who distributes it (that is if you're using the FTB launcher and distributing the modpack on the forums (which is a very bad idea indeed)) but not you.

1). Nope just like telling the truth

2). I wouldn't like it if someone used my mods with without permission (All has to do with respect)

3). I know I'm also a troll but sometimes I'm not :) (Read above as well)

Are you some sort of uber fanboy? Have you ever heard of multi quote?

Why are permissions such a strong point of yours.

Redistributing free content is not a big deal as you make it seem.

"Words"
"Oops looks like when you wrote it you made a mistake and got rid of everything I paste let me fix that for you >:)" Technic is good if you want to make quick modpacks and distribute them, since nobody really gives a damn about permissions (on their site they're just tossing around modpacks like kitten toys, and the mod makers don't really care about the technic site anyway since there are over 4k something modpacks on there that don't have permissions)

FTB is good if you want to make a highly official modpack and get it well known. You need permissions before you can do a leap from the Technic launcher to the FTB launcher, and you also need a lot of publicity.

You can also start off with FTB and just give people a list of mods to download incase you think you'll be turned down from FTB for using the Technic launcher, which I doubt.

As for playing things, either one is fine. The FTB launcher comes with modpacks that certain Youtubers use and also some really good official packs, while the technic pack comes with (He's not talking about the Official ones we like those honestly :D) tons of low-quality modpacks (weee zeppelin mod for 1.5.4 totes updated come download this modpack now) but there are a lot of them so you can occasionally find a few gems in the haystack that catch your eye.

Nobody's going to come find you and kill you if you use a modpack that doesn't have permissions, though. They'll probably come and kill the person who distributes it (that is if you're using the FTB launcher and distributing the modpack on the forums (which is a very bad idea indeed)) but not you.

Nope just telling the truth (I didn't write that by the way)

The truth would require you to analyze the strengths and weaknesses of each platform and point them out allowing no personal experiences or influence from either party to come into play.

You post is littered with opinions and assumptions regardless of the fact that you've written it or not.

This makes your claim invalid.

Would you stop goddamn multiposting? You can put multiple quotes in the same post. And stop harping about permissions, nobody gives a shit around here, if you didn't notice. As for modpack quality, it's not meant to be about having a few HIGHLY EXCLUSIVE MOD AUTHOR CIRCLEJERK modpacks. The point of the Technic Platform is to allow people to freely make and distribute their mods, no matter if it's a small group of people on their tiny passworded server, or a big conglomerate of people all united as one. The elitism of the whole FTB philosophy reeks hard of rotten fish, and no sugarcoating can fix that.

Is the FTB custom pack thing even working yet? I don't really follow FTB stuff, so last I heard of it it'd been suspended. Ages ago.

Yeah, this one is pretty biased - you're assuming that every single modpack on there has no permissions and is poorly edited, which certainly isn't true.