Is FTB any good?

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just that. It seems to be a decent amount of effort to install on a mac, and I dont want to get it if it sucks. I really like RP, RC, and forestry, to i was thinking about giving it a shot.

those mods can be manually installed into technic

you just got to (from my knowledge) drag and drop em into the "mods" folder

I personally prefer Tekkit, as they seem to put more effort into their packs.

I avoid the Mindcrack pack simply because of GregTech. As for the DW20 pack, I might as well play my personal modpack, they're basically the same.

Quite honestly, the Technic Platform probably wipes the vast majority of bonuses of FtB out completely, since they're mostly mods. As it is, there's not much you'll get from FtB which you can't get just as easily, if not more easily, by just looking through some of the Platform packs and picking one you like.

That's another huge plus for me: The platform. I doubt FTB could ever trump a move like that.

Meanwhile in Slowpoke's evil lair:

Slowpoke: *Goes to sourceforge*

Slowpoke: *Highlights technic code*

*pastes Technic code*

Slowpoke: Introducing the revolutionary new FTB platform! The independently developed platform is capable of distributing modpacks from anywhere without downloading ANYTHING!

Millions of Butt Farters: YAY! LET'S GO SPAM TECHNIC ABOUT IT!

KakerMix: *Gets shotgun of diplomacy*

I would be surprised if FTB made something like the Platform. Their whole deal is about respecting modders' permissions and allowing anyone to make and distribute a modpack would require a lot of effort to check permissions and approve packs.

I would be surprised if FTB made something like the Platform. Their whole deal is about respecting modders' permissions and allowing anyone to make and distribute a modpack would require a lot of effort to check permissions and approve packs.

Oh, right.

Well then, no platform for FTB. Their main "thing" is that they have "modder support 'n shit".

I wouldn't be surprised if FTB came with something similar to the Technic Platform, but with one small twist or something.

and that small twist would be pennies for the modders him

by pennies i mean like $0.25 for a modpack....

your right, which means that they would have to check EVERY modpack that went through there

including updates i would think....

the only reason i EVER used the FTB pack was so i could "play along" with direwolf

the only reason i EVER used the FTB pack was so i could "play along" with direwolf

Me as well, but that didn't work out for me because of LAAAAG. My fps average at about 25 on any ftb packs, while nearly identical packs from here average around 45. Another reason for me why Technic is better.

I see the performance argument tossed out many times, but it honestly doesn't make sense. Maybe it has to do with how much RAM is allocated by default by both launchers.

In all respects, if you were to put FTB's mods into the Technic Launcher, your FPS should be identical to your FPS when using the FTB Launcher.

I see the performance argument tossed out many times, but it honestly doesn't make sense. Maybe it has to do with how much RAM is allocated by default by both launchers.

In all respects, if you were to put FTB's mods into the Technic Launcher, your FPS should be identical to your FPS when using the FTB Launcher.

it could also be that optifine isn't in FTB, and earlier versions of technic do...pretty sure classic does as well....

oh and i like how easy it is to add jar mods and disable them from the launcher....