Is FTB any good?

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recall Notch saying once that Valve's requirements make Minecraft on Steam highly unlikely.

Not necessarily, about ninety percent of games on Steam use a third-party engine - that is, one that was not made by the same people that made the game. There are even some Steam games that are basically just Flash in an executable 'wrapper'. Also, Minecraft already has its own engine, which is written in Java and runs as a Java instance.

That said, if Mojang were to rebuild Minecraft in, say, C++ and do it well, I don't think anyone would complain. The issue with that, of course, is that it would be more difficult to make multiplatform - UNIX-based OSes need some tinkering done to make C++ executables play nice. It would also invalidate pretty much all of the code knowledge at Mojang, since they all code almost exclusively in Java. Not to mention, a C++ Minecraft would completely destroy the modding scene as we know it and might very well kill of Minecraft modding wholesale without a very robust API.

Not really. They just need to port Forge to C++ if Minecraft ever migrates to C++. Once that's done, the process is 90% done already.

Not really. They just need to port Forge to C++ if Minecraft ever migrates to C++. Once that's done, the process is 90% done already.

forge is only possible because of how java works in the first place. it's not nearly so easy to decompile C++ code (doable, but not easy). it's way easier to say "just port forge" than it would be to actually do it. much of its functionality is also dependent on java features like reflection, which isn't really a think in C++ last I checked. it's a lot more complicated than it sounds or looks. even then, it would not be 90% done as mods would have to either become native DLLs, or forge would have to pull some shenanigans to load java code and cause untold performance issues by doing so. I won't say that it would kill modding, but it would throw a massive wet blanket on it.

also, java is a language, not an engine. you don't say that X game is running the C/C++ engine, even if the game is written in C/C++. as someone else mentioned already, minecraft does use its' own engine. that engine is written in java.

all that being said, the chance of the game being rewritten in C++ or whatever is pretty much 0, so who cares.

hmmm, that would defintley be interesting, as i belive they'd then have to code there own game engine, instead of using java
That makes no sense. Java is a language, not game engine.

To reiterate for n'th time, the awful performance of MC does not come from using Java. It comes from bad programming in general. It's probably even easier to write bad code in C++ than in java.

Also, creating multiplatform C++ stuff is far from difficult. The difficulty of porting is blown way out of proportion.

forge is only possible because of how java works in the first place. it's not nearly so easy to decompile C++ code (doable, but not easy). it's way easier to say "just port forge" than it would be to actually do it. much of its functionality is also dependent on java features like reflection, which isn't really a think in C++ last I checked. it's a lot more complicated than it sounds or looks. even then, it would not be 90% done as mods would have to either become native DLLs, or forge would have to pull some shenanigans to load java code and cause untold performance issues by doing so. I won't say that it would kill modding, but it would throw a massive wet blanket on it.

also, java is a language, not an engine. you don't say that X game is running the C/C++ engine, even if the game is written in C/C++. as someone else mentioned already, minecraft does use its' own engine. that engine is written in java.

all that being said, the chance of the game being rewritten in C++ or whatever is pretty much 0, so who cares.

I know, I picked the wrong words.

I guess it would set back modding, but people would probably find a way to make it work, no matter how painstakingly. Whether it be through rewriting their entire mods in C++, or dealing with huge performance issues.

That makes no sense. Java is a language, not game engine.

To reiterate for n'th time, the awful performance of MC does not come from using Java. It comes from bad programming in general. It's probably even easier to write bad code in C++ than in java.

Also, creating multiplatform C++ stuff is far from difficult. The difficulty of porting is blown way out of proportion.

The awful performance does, in fact, come partially from Java. Java isn't exactly optimized. But most of Minecraft's bad performance comes from bad coding in general. From Mojang's side, as well as LWJGL's side.

• 3 weeks later...

wow. WOW. I don't think it will be as successful as Hexxit though. Hexxit came out first so the youtubers picked it up. I think the main reason FTB is more popular than Tekkit is because they moved to 1.4 before we did. Now it's the other way around.

• Moderators

In all seriousness, the copying is getting blatant at this point.

In all seriousness, this "copying" statement I see being thrown in this forum over and over is tiredsome.

FTB is NOT Technic-look-alike.

FTB community is different.

FTB moderators are different, both in mind and actions.

FTB forum is largely different.

And when it comes to modpacks... Did Technic grab a ©©monopoly©© on adventure modpack?

My guess is that users on FTB saw Hexxit, but instead of touching the vile Technic Launcher!, asked Slow to make one similar for them.

Who cares what someone somewhere else makes.

Please don't walk the "green" path, that one was a wasted effort on friendship.

Don't waste this one.

Feed The Beard.

In all seriousness, the copying is getting blatant at this point. I'd call them out on it, but that would only cause more drama.

UHC is not an attempt at copying Hexxit and it's not FTB's first non tech mod either. RPG Immersion has been around for months and is completely adventure oriented.

UHC is not an attempt at copying Hexxit and it's not FTB's first non tech mod either. RPG Immersion has been around for months and is completely adventure oriented.

Hexxit is actually a lot like RPG Immersion, only done a whole lot better.

Welp, turns out FTB is making a "hardcore survival pack", based more on adventuring and less on machinery. (Private pack code is UHS)

Blatant copying, much?

EDIT: Oops, double post.

Just to clarify, yes I was unbanned a while ago by SCT, no I have not felt the need to post on here since then. I have not yet tried hexxit, so it would be difficult for me to copy it. UHS is a third party mod pack created by one of the members of the team that help to build our modpacks. I have not compared the list of mods in UHS with Hexxit so I have no idea how close to each other they are. Feel free to 'call me out' if you like.' I would suggest you have a clue what your talking about first though.

To clarify UHS is not a FTB modpack. It is just a pack that is distributed through our launcher.

All this witch hunting gets nowhere. The regulars are worse about jumping to conclusions than the obnoxious fanboys. This exact same bullshit happened with redpower tubes. Everyone was so quick to burn the copying witch, and defend their favorite modder/modpack/whatever that they ignore the facts. May I direct your attention to Eloraam's post on "copying:" http://www.eloraam.com/blog/2011/12/11/on-copying/

TL;DR You can't claim someone is copying when everything is just a copy.