A noob's questions in regards to purchasing a server

I was looking to purchase a good server for about 5 people for Tekkit Space. After a bit of searching through server hosts, I've hit a point that I feel I need advice from more experienced people. How much RAM would I need to purchase to run it smoothly? Also, would full FTP access allow me to manually install Tekkit or would I have to purchase it with Tekkit pre-installed? Thank you for the help.

Edited by TheFired3mon

generally each player needs about 300MB for there data. i myself have ran a tekkit server on 3 and 4GB servers. right now im running a custom modpack on a 4GB server which the modpack has 136 mods and me and 5 friends play on the server, so i would suggest either a 3GB or 4GB server. and if you get filezilla you directly upload the tekkit.jar on to there. i would never pay to have a .jar installed when its very simple to do. but with my host they have options where you can install them with just a click of a button. check them out: http://fluctishosting.com/whmcs/aff.php?aff=589 with the code "advlobbies" you can get a 4GB server for $33.60. but the code also works with any recurring subscription so you can go with a 3GB server as well. 

EDIT: i forgot to add this is for the SSD premium servers. i am not sure if it works with HDD budget servers. you can try though!

Edited by nick haggerty

If you are planning to be big, then start with 4GB, it can hold a max of 10 people on a small map. 5 on a Medium map, and 1 on a Large Map. I suggest that you ask for donations and give them stuff if they do, and then after you get enough money, BOOM! You will be able to upgrade your server! Please note that that means more players, and more players means... MORE DONATIONS, which leads to MORE UPGRADES. Everyone wins THAT way, instead of having people say "SERVER TOO LAGGY, WILL NOT DONATE", well, guess what jerks who say that, YOU WILL NOT GET YOUR WAY UNLESS YOU DONATE. LAGGY SERVERS ARE CAUSED BY THESE THINGS: Chat spam (Too much activity, takes up a ton of ram), Not enough Memory on Server (Yeah, those jerks complain about lag!), Loading Chunks (Again, too much activity going at once for the server, but it also makes the world larger, which makes it take up more space, and... so on and so forth.), and other causes. Hopefully I have made your server owning experience much easier. Salutations!

• Discord Moderator

If you are planning to be big, then start with 4GB, it can hold a max of 10 people on a small map. 5 on a Medium map, and 1 on a Large Map. I suggest that you ask for donations and give them stuff if they do, and then after you get enough money, BOOM! You will be able to upgrade your server! Please note that that means more players, and more players means... MORE DONATIONS, which leads to MORE UPGRADES. Everyone wins THAT way, instead of having people say "SERVER TOO LAGGY, WILL NOT DONATE", well, guess what jerks who say that, YOU WILL NOT GET YOUR WAY UNLESS YOU DONATE. LAGGY SERVERS ARE CAUSED BY THESE THINGS: Chat spam (Too much activity, takes up a ton of ram), Not enough Memory on Server (Yeah, those jerks complain about lag!), Loading Chunks (Again, too much activity going at once for the server, but it also makes the world larger, which makes it take up more space, and... so on and so forth.), and other causes. Hopefully I have made your server owning experience much easier. Salutations!

I would be careful making recommendations like these. 4G can hold one person on a "large" map? Not at all. That doesn't even make any sense. The map could have a 100000 block world border, and if there is only one person on there will only be a few hundred chunks loaded total regardless of where they are (unless you are including chunk loaders and that is a totally different issue). I have servers that only allocate 3G of ram and with 15-20 people doing very active builds it usually uses only about 2G and sits at a solid 20 TPS. To be honest, the only thing I have every had that caued the TPS to drop (even on packs with 130+ mods and 10 active players) was (1) Complex or rapid worldgen and (2) someone spewing 10s of thousands of items onto the ground from misconfigured builds.

As for the donation spiral, I may be in the minority here (I honestly have no idea) but the moment I log into a server and see anything about donations I just politely leave to go my merry way. I have 5 servers using different modpacks with 10s of concurrent players out of 100s who play and I couldn't imagine charging anyone for that. It is a hobby for me and I get a lot of enjoyment out of keeping it all up. I totally understand that not everyone has my expertise, resources or free time. I'm sure it costs me a little bit in electricity, but I already had the infrastructure in place to host it myself so that's what I do.

I guess what I'm trying to say is "hobbies cost money" and "businesses make money". Both are excellent pursuits. Just make sure you know which one you want to be in before you start so that you stil have fun with it. Life's too short to do something for long that frustrates you.

I guess what I'm trying to say is "hobbies cost money" and "businesses make money". Both are excellent pursuits. Just make sure you know which one you want to be in before you start so that you stil have fun with it. Life's too short to do something for long that frustrates you.

Great words of wisdom there, Plowmanplow.