Bring back IC2 and Redpower 2

IR_Matt

Then why did the developers make a mod pack and why not just have a package that gave you a random package of mods everytime you log in because that is variety. It doesn't help server owners when they keep changing mod packages and its not very backwards compatible so if anything they should have just left it how it is.

Is this all you plan to do? Bitch about the devs deciding to not add IC2 and RP2 to their 3rd pack because they wanted to use other mods?

Either take my advice or learn to live with it, you aren't exactly helping your cause by complaining constantly

For the record, I don't play the new mod pack, because I created my own pack for my community, the day before Tekkit was announced I rolled out version 2, which removed half of the mods from the version 1 set and added a load of new ones

At first I received complaints because IC2 and RP2 were gone and they couldn't do X, Y or Z because of that

After hearing my reasons they just decided to give it a shot, and guess what, I haven't received any more complaints because they (unlike you) aren't clingy idiots that just keep spewing GIVE ME IC2 AND RP2 BACK

They didn't screw server owners because Lite and Classic are still there, no-one forced you to change to Tekkit, you did that of your own free will

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for telling me. NOW EXPLAIN WHY WE ARE USING ENGINES AND NOT A NUCLEAR POWER. BECAUSE THIS ISNT THE 1800'S!

neither is it 1980's where everyone thought nuclear power ist the solution to everything, right now most countries are trying to get rid of their nuclear power plants ;-)

uh okay, i have a question, every time i try to get oxygen for my space station it wont work, i have a oxygen collector sorrounded by leaves and it says the output is at 56.9% it also says not enough power but at the bottom it says 4.0 kilojoules and below that it says 120 voltz. also none of the oxygen goes to the bubble distributor, if im doing something wrong please tell me, oh and i have a magamtic engine with lave putting energy in the stuff.

please help!

uh okay, i have a question, every time i try to get oxygen for my space station it wont work, i have a oxygen collector sorrounded by leaves and it says the output is at 56.9% it also says not enough power but at the bottom it says 4.0 kilojoules and below that it says 120 voltz. also none of the oxygen goes to the bubble distributor, if im doing something wrong please tell me, oh and i have a magamtic engine with lave putting energy in the stuff.

please help!

You must be lost....

please help!

you need to power both the collector and the distributer from the correct side or it won't work (those 4.0 kilo joules and 120 voltz you state how much it will use), same goes for the oxygen pipes.

O.K TE has a broad definition of compatible! The reason IC2 is better is they have way more items, more upgradable machines, nuclear power, solar power, wiring that is far better than TE, NUCLEAR POWER! generators that actually work, the feeling of "OH SHIT MY POWER PLANT BLEW UP MY ENTIRE HOUSE NOW I NEED TO START AGAIN!" Its a funny feeling you don't get with TE, Power suits work better with IC2, oh and have i mentioned NUCLEAR "MOTHERFUCKING" POWER!

I'll grant you the items, the upgrades, and the OP generation. All valid points. The wiring? You are 1000% dead wrong. Absolutely incredibly incorrect. You can argue the sidedness aspect and that's fine. Please, point out the IC2 energy storage that can accept and emit from any side. There isn't one. That's why conduit is sided.

You're also wrong about MPS.

As far as nuclear power goes, what IC2 has is not nuclear power. It perpetuates the myth that nuclear power is dangerous and that reactor-grade uranium can harm you.

neither is it 1980's where everyone thought nuclear power ist the solution to everything, right now most countries are trying to get rid of their nuclear power plants ;-)

Actually nuclear power is the solution. :( The opinion of the public (and government by extension) is completely incorrect. Some countries get it - France and Switzerland certainly do. The US will figure it out shortly, and even Japan has decided that they can't afford to shut down their reactors.

Up until yesterday, we had 104 nuclear power plants in the US, providing 19% of our total electricity. We now have 103 - a 556 MW plant (Kewaunee) was just closed for purely economic reasons, unfortunately. Meanwhile, all of the 1700+ MW plants are getting generator rewinds and retrofits - they are too valuable to lose. Hopefully, we'll get more of them here shortly.

Actually nuclear power is the solution. :( The opinion of the public (and government by extension) is completely incorrect. Some countries get it - France and Switzerland certainly do. The US will figure it out shortly, and even Japan has decided that they can't afford to shut down their reactors.

Up until yesterday, we had 104 nuclear power plants in the US, providing 19% of our total electricity. We now have 103 - a 556 MW plant (Kewaunee) was just closed for purely economic reasons, unfortunately. Meanwhile, all of the 1700+ MW plants are getting generator rewinds and retrofits - they are too valuable to lose. Hopefully, we'll get more of them here shortly.

Let me just say one word: "Radium"

Its quite funny what they all did with it when it was discovered and Fallout pretty much tell us everything about the 1980's ideas of nuclear power we need to know. But yeah, today the generall idea is too get rid of them as they are seen to negatively by the general public which right now is nearly as hilarious as the ideas of the 1980's ^^

Just as well. Fission is messy and dangerous, and there are too many independent efforts converging on fusion for it to not become available in the near-term future. Better to wait a bit and build fusion plants which won't become a waste-disposal millstone around our necks for the next couple of centuries. The backlog we have now is bad enough as it is.

Just as well. Fission is messy and dangerous, and there are too many independent efforts converging on fusion for it to not become available in the near-term future. Better to wait a bit and build fusion plants which won't become a waste-disposal millstone around our necks for the next couple of centuries. The backlog we have now is bad enough as it is.

Fission is neither of those things - it is by far the safest power around. When you factor in the maintenance of wind turbines and the fabrication process of solar panels, it is also far and away the greenest technology around aside from hydro.

Backlog? Of nuclear waste you mean? Yeah so we have this really cool technology called pyroprocessing and we can make use of it. In fact, we can take that "waste", put it in a breeder core, enrich U-238 into plutonium and we have literally millions of years of nuclear fuel left. The only "issue" as it stands is proliferation. Countries that see the value though? Not a big deal. France knows what's up on this one. And worst case, we get more bombs/missiles/whatever.

Meanwhile, there is only one fusion game in town - ITER. And it will work, but realistically, fusion is a ways off and there's a logistical nightmare. The neutron flux produced in a tokamak is ludicrous and materials science hasn't advanced to the point where we can fully address the ablation issues.

(If you haven't noticed, I may know a few things about energy.)

In TE, is there a way to get reliable power without tearing up the landscape/ sucking the nether free of lava? If not, thats a significant advantage on IC2. Also, the miners are way better than the closest comparison, the mining well

Fission is neither of those things - it is by far the safest power around. When you factor in the maintenance of wind turbines and the fabrication process of solar panels, it is also far and away the greenest technology around aside from hydro.

Backlog? Of nuclear waste you mean? Yeah so we have this really cool technology called pyroprocessing and we can make use of it. In fact, we can take that "waste", put it in a breeder core, enrich U-238 into plutonium and we have literally millions of years of nuclear fuel left. The only "issue" as it stands is proliferation. Countries that see the value though? Not a big deal. France knows what's up on this one. And worst case, we get more bombs/missiles/whatever.

Meanwhile, there is only one fusion game in town - ITER. And it will work, but realistically, fusion is a ways off and there's a logistical nightmare. The neutron flux produced in a tokamak is ludicrous and materials science hasn't advanced to the point where we can fully address the ablation issues.

Didn't expect that from you King Lemming ;)

What do you think would be the best next step: to "recycle" the uranium, or to change it all around and go for plutonium-icantrememberwhatnumber reactors? There have been recent studies on those, they seem to be a lot safer (not that it isn't safe already), produce more heat, and generate almost no "waste" at all.

Fusion would obviously be a long term goal, as it nets way more energy but the energy (kinetic in this case) required is insane for the startup and the current materials wouldn't be even able to hold such a reactor.

In TE, is there a way to get reliable power without tearing up the landscape/ sucking the nether free of lava? If not, thats a significant advantage on IC2. Also, the miners are way better than the closest comparison, the mining well

In TE, no, but MFR which is also in the pack and includes biofuel generators that can produce immense power. A couple of decent sized farms can easily produce enough MJ to cover any possible need. Also, suck the nether free of lava? You might not be aware of this, but the lava has absurd amounts of lava, you can run many many magmatic engines off a single nether pump alone, which will do minimal appearance damage to the nether.

Preserving the terrain is a personal thing, mods don't make a big difference in this, except perhaps UE's ICBM mod which demands terrain destruction as a goal. It really comes down to whether or not you choose to use a quarry or not.

perfectly safe unless you are Russia(not supposed to be racist btw, just referencing a historical event) or influenced by a natural diaster ;)

But the ability of IC2 to produce hydro, geothermal, nuclear, solar, coal, and wind power is very nice. TBH i also really like the peat engine idea from forestry

Personally been a fan of fission power forever, but man my eyes lit up to thorium after reading this article.

The possibility of a nuke powered car like those in fallout is just way too awesome. Though even just a stationary generator with years of fuel (for dollars on the gram) and 0 chance of meltdown would be a hell of a transformative technology.

And let's not forget the totally feasible plans for a mini self-contained fission power plant that runs off thorium. Now that would be ideal for isolated areas like rural Nevada. Stick 'em in the ground for five years, then dig it back up for safe disposal.

Wait, I'm not the only one who can see nuclear as the only viable power source for the future? Yahoo!

To all those who see reactors as "Dangerous", "Unsafe", "Harmful to human heath", "Harmful to the environment", etc;

Dangerous/Unsafe:

Since the first nuclear reactor, there have been about 20, semi notable, reactor incidents. Of these, only 6 were incidents ranked above a 4 INES (International Nuclear Events Scale). To put that into perspecive, INES goes from 1-7. 7 being major catastrophy, 1 being a small anomaly in operation. Chernobyl has been the only event to rank a 7.

All of these incidents took place between 1952-1986 save the recent event in japan. Even that was with an old reactor due for decommission. Since 1986, there has not been a single event racking higher than a 4 (Again save Japan) showing how good we have gotten at maintaining reactors.

Harmful to human health:

radsources[1].gif?n=4956

1%. Enough said.

Harmful tot he enviroment:

The same argument as Unsafe apples here with raw exposure. As for environmental damage from the plant running, no more than that of a large solar farm. All it does is take up space. True the do need water to run but the water that is released after use has had no contact with the fissile material. The only thing that touches this material is a substance called 'Heavy water' and it is not released into the environment at any point in time. It is handled in the same with as depleted fissile material.

Big side note: This has gotten VERY off topic!

Personally been a fan of fission power forever, but man my eyes lit up to thorium after reading this article.

The possibility of a nuke powered car like those in fallout is just way too awesome. Though even just a stationary generator with years of fuel (for dollars on the gram) and 0 chance of meltdown would be a hell of a transformative technology.

Would something bad happen if you got in a car crash with a nuke powered car? Would anything explode? Also, king lemming said that reactor grade uranium can't hurt you. I'm assuming the means only by explosion, but feel free to correct me(I'm a nuclear scrub :()

Would something bad happen if you got in a car crash with a nuke powered car?

Well sure something bad would happen. You'd have a couple tons of moving metal smashing together, identical to a couple gas powered cars crashing.

Except you don't have flamable liquid leaking out onto the ground, just a small amount of boiling water.

Would anything explode?

At 8 grams of thorium per car, you would get a critical mass explosion if over 1400 cars all crashed into each other and the fissile material not only all suddenly escaped the thick engine walls and came together, but also went through magic perfect enrichment into weapons grade plutonium.

Also, king lemming said that reactor grade uranium can't hurt you. I'm assuming the means only by explosion, but feel free to correct me(I'm a nuclear scrub :()

Nuke plants are dangerous because they were designed back in the 50's when they wanted all the weapons grade plutonium they could get (power was really just a byproduct...)

Wikipedia has info for you. Check out pebble bed for a good example of something safe.

Big side note: This has gotten VERY off topic!

Yes, but in a way that can breed inspiration.

Don't forget recyclers, nuclear power, solar power, wind power. There also is a lack of building materials, such as bricks, and lamps, as well as a lack of plant options, as it's only vanilla plants now. That's a good half of the things tekkit used to provide an experience for, and now there is of course some really good mods, but it feels like there isn't much else to do, after a certain point. There is no actual tech tree, and there isn't tiers of energy either. All of this combined makes for a very boring mod pack.

So, IC2 and redpower are old and clunky, and are no longer going to be updated. That's all fine and dandy, but what happened here was the baby was thrown out with the bath water. Thermal expansion is a great mod, but it's a mod for one tier of tech. Something needs to be done about this, or it's just not going to take off.