Should I bother with Forestry?

Paukinra

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, he had some code that would straight up crash the mod if you ran it along with all the mods in technic, even if you painstakingly spent time putting them together manually. And the mod is merged into mainline IC now.

this is what gets me. why write the mod at all then if you're that big of a douche? While the permission issue has its grounds, the actions simply mean that he wants compensation even though he's refused such. I don't get what he's after but he still wants people knowing his mod is out there but at the same time forking over people using it?

I've also read convo's elsewhere in his defense and I honestly don't see how these morons could defend him. I've said it before and I'll say it again, things made and distributed to the public for free are fair game for adaptation and re-use given proper authorship reference. Therefore, if I made a new mod and portioned out his with mine but made mention of it in the credits or whatever, I don't need his permission.

While the permission issue has its grounds...

I don't think it does. Did he talk directly to Notch/Jeb before modifying their code? The whole spirit of modding is sharing ideas, not locking down your creation so you can get adfly pennies.

I've read responses from both sides. It wasn't "pro" to not ask mod's author, but the sengir's response - inserting malicious code to harm users of the pack (instead of asking packers to remove his mod), what a repugnant maneuver..

... I've said it before and I'll say it again, things made and distributed to the public for free are fair game for adaptation and re-use given proper authorship reference. ...

+1

I honestly don't see any reason why any modder would want not to be in any popular mod pack (as long as packers mention him/her in a credits page). I thought that main target of a mod dev is to have his/her mod played by as many players as possible. I find the behaviour of Forestry's developer kinda petty, packers have apologized, why not let them access the mod to a vast audience?

I was considering installing the mod along with Tekkit, but after reading all this stuff, I'll probably stick with "vanilla tekkit".

I love seeing these mode developers, whom of which have an IQ of 89, think the creators of Technic don't look over the code of it. It's kinda like if a dead body was found and the cops just said it died from natural cause, because it was found in the woods. Also, I am not comparing murder to failed mod attempts, I am comparing the similar logic of it.

@dj blades- It added a code which would destroy worlds. The idea behind this was to destroy the world so the fans of Technic would blame it on the creators of Technic and this was supposed to destroy Technic FOREVER! It's kinda like if the mailman threw a rock at your window and expect the house to burn down.

What the code did was make the bee system nearly impossible by greatly reducing the chances of breeding and altering the results of breeding. In addition it added a new bee line that all breeding was limited to which attacks the player and acts as powerful TNT. So your bees would try to kill you and explode making the whole bee system useless.

I think he also did a few things in other areas of the mod to mess with technic users by slowly adding bugs/issues to the mod designed to only occur with the technic launcher. Which last time I checked he was doing so for awhile before he did the killer bee update but the changes were very subtle until that update.

At no point did he tell the technic devs to remove his mod from the pack or even allow them to contact him about it.

Both Sir Sengir and Krapht maintain it, but it's open source, so there's not exactly anything he could do against us.

Waiting for him to announce "Forestry is getting merged into buildcraft. And since forestry is mine and NOT open-source, buildcraft is now NOT open source as well. This retroactively includes all previous versions. No one may touch the source without my permission, so all buildcraft integrations are now property me as well, as are any modpacks that include buildcraft or any mods with buildcraft integration."

That would be a hilarious fiasco.

um, i dont think anyone could ever retroactively make something open source NOT. You could make changes and release a newer version that isn't just fine though.

And frankly, for the good of the userbase if he did that Mojang should legally go after him for altering their published non-opensource code to retaliate if he were to act in such a manner.

That's the idea lothos. Sengir's previous history with technic has shown complete hatred for technic, selective memory, and a very loose grasp of concepts like legality.

I would not put it past him believing he can use copyright law to claim ownership of buildcraft and all derived works, including technic.

That's the idea lothos. Sengir's previous history with technic has shown complete hatred for technic, selective memory, and a very loose grasp of concepts like legality.

I would not put it past him believing he can use copyright law to claim ownership of buildcraft and all derived works, including technic.

thats true. Of course if it were me, i'd include that last functioning version of forestry simply to spite him too as it was released openly and let him try to legally come after it :)

Wait if there illegal how come mojang put mods on the offical wiki and made it so there could be mods on it cause they could of just added a code hidden in like herobrine and giants are which he removed herobrine source code so why cant he add a script that crashes minecraft if you try running a mod or changes it period

Mods are illegal since they use Mojangs code, but Mojang allows it, because they think it builds community and makes the game fun and interesting which, by the way, is exactly what it does. With the way things are it would not shock me if Sir Sengir put another one of those 'probes' into Buildcraft.

Mods are a valuable tool for Mojang as they help to foster a community and keep people interested in their game long after playing with virtual blocks gets old. So they allow them to exist and even help to foster them as in the end they make them more money as people will buy the game for the mods.

Instead of Exploding bees, perhaps... exploding Redstone engines? (when they hit the green or yellow phase)

Engines that shoot bees. It will always be bees, because Sengir fantasizes about commanding a bee army. This is true.