[3.1.2]BROVENTURETIME!!![PVP][50-Slots][OPEN][TOWNY,iCONOMY,SLOTS,CUSTOMBIOMES][NOEE]

Malicered

listen, do you really want to rules lawyer me? I don't think you do.

why is signing your posts against the rules? it says so in the rules post itself. it's redundant, you're not writing a letter you're posting on a message board. your name is next to every post you make, it's really obvious that you are the one posting it without going out of your way to spell it out any further.

as for "incentives" for server reviews, it's disingenuous to say the least. it makes people lie (potentially) to get an advantage in-game. that's a powerful motivation for a lot of people and it ends up distorting the quality of the server as seen by a casual observer perusing the thread. even more so when it's not mentioned anywhere that people leaving good reviews are getting rewarded for it. in fact, the practice has a name, it's called "astroturfing". that's not the kind of shit we want going on here.

as for the idiots you banned, so what? I already banned one of them for doing exactly what I told them not to do, and warned 2 others. negative posts aren't against the rules, and I'm not a fan of removing such posts from server threads unless it's a relatively extreme case or they break other general rules.

additionally, I'm not beholden to you, and tacking "I don't mean to be disrespectful" on the end of a post doesn't change the tone of the rest of it. I honestly don't care if you respect me, but talk to me, or any mod, like they're some kind of employee shirking their duty and you will not enjoy the results. we're busy people who are often handling lots of issues at once too. in case you haven't noticed, this forum is huge. help us help you.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

listen, do you really want to rules lawyer me? I don't think you do.

why is signing your posts against the rules? it says so in the rules post itself. it's redundant, you're not writing a letter you're posting on a message board. your name is next to every post you make, it's really obvious that you are the one posting it without going out of your way to spell it out any further.

as for "incentives" for server reviews, it's disingenuous to say the least. it makes people lie (potentially) to get an advantage in-game. that's a powerful motivation for a lot of people and it ends up distorting the quality of the server as seen by a casual observer perusing the thread. even more so when it's not mentioned anywhere that people leaving good reviews are getting rewarded for it. in fact, the practice has a name, it's called "astroturfing". that's not the kind of shit we want going on here.

as for the idiots you banned, so what? I already banned one of them for doing exactly what I told them not to do, and warned 2 others. negative posts aren't against the rules, and I'm not a fan of removing such posts from server threads unless it's a relatively extreme case or they break other general rules.

additionally, I'm not beholden to you, and tacking "I don't mean to be disrespectful" on the end of a post doesn't change the tone of the rest of it. I honestly don't care if you respect me, but talk to me, or any mod, like they're some kind of employee shirking their duty and you will not enjoy the results. we're busy people who are often handling lots of issues at once too. in case you haven't noticed, this forum is huge. help us help you.

I understand and made corrections to the whole signing usernames under their posts. I had no problem with it, and acknowledge that I did in fact go against the rules.

However, you're saying that I'm "astroturfing". I'll tell you straight up, it's not the case. The board simply says post a review. It never said any specifics on what the review is. "Write what you think about the server". Indicating that the review is in no way misleading as it's simply asking for honest opinions of my server. It was simply a way to encourage discussion on this thread, a window for genuine constructive debates and discussions.

What's next? You're going to say that these forums aren't for discussion?

I'm not taking anything down, unless it's against the rules. Not because you think it's unethical. I am not guilty here of anything. I'm just trying to use a forum that has been provided.

However, if you do wish me to change this, Post it on the rules, and ensure that everyone else has to abide by these rules. Same with the whole Staff application thing.

I understand and made corrections to the whole signing usernames under their posts. I had no problem with it, and acknowledge that I did in fact go against the rules.

However, you're saying that I'm "astroturfing". I'll tell you straight up, it's not the case. The board simply says post a review. It never said any specifics on what the review is. "Write what you think about the server". Indicating that the review is in no way misleading as it's simply asking for honest opinions of my server. It was simply a way to encourage discussion on this thread, a window for genuine constructive debates and discussions.

What's next? You're going to say that these forums aren't for discussion?

I'm not taking anything down, unless it's against the rules. Not because you think it's unethical. I am not guilty here of anything. I'm just trying to use a forum that has been provided.

However, if you do wish me to change this, Post it on the rules, and ensure that everyone else has to abide by these rules. Same with the whole Staff application thing.

sigh, you really want to do it this way I guess. that's unfortunate.

you have a sign that says, "go post a review and you get free stuff depending on how good your post is". you can try and argue that you are talking about quality, like grammar and spelling, but let's be real here: the intent is obvious. any reasonable person would look at that and say, "oh so if I post a good (meaning positive) review, I get free diamonds! cool!" that is going to result in astroturfing. there's simply no way around it. it is NOT encouraging discussion, it is encouraging making a single post for a treat.

lastly, while I can't force you to do anything, I can remove this thread and/or ban you from the forums. before you start typing another post proclaiming your innocence and trying to explain how you're not breaking any rules and therefor should not be banned and I'm a big meany head, allow me to show you one of our fantastic rules, made just for you!

Don't be a dickbag - (A bag of dicks)

also arguably the no mod sass rule. additionally,

The moderation staff has the final say in matters of rule violation.

you are free to simply do nothing, but if you want your thread to stay here I'd suggest thinking about whether or not it's worth fighting over. I would have preferred to do this in a more friendly manner, but I do not have time to read a bunch of posts picking nits. I don't rightly care if you think you're being treated unfairly, either.

as for the application thing, maiden isn't around for me to ask them about it, but I'm not really inclined to go the extra mile here for you so it stands. figure out a different way to handle staff applications.

TL;DR: do it or this thread is gone and never coming back. if that's worth it to you, feel free to do nothing and find other places to recruit new players after the 4th of october. I don't really care either way.

• Moderators

Look. Asking people to come and write reviews for you isn't against the rules. Scummy as hell, but legal. Telling them to /sign/ their posts, which is expressly forbidden on the Technic pack forums, and always has been, is against the rules.

But it's not part of your post, so it is something that needs fixed, but not going to get you a summary deletion in the post-nuke probationary period all threads are in.

And the application thing? Something I forgot to add to the rules, because it was in my announcement about greylist servers that I deleted and forgot to incorporate. My bad. The mistake has been rectified.

Here are the relevant rules:

Whitelist vs Greylist vs Open servers:

• A whitelist server require an application to join the server in the first place. Whirelisted servers belong in the Whitelist server section. Whitelist servers have no further restrictions
  • Grey(or gray)list servers require an application to do anything on the server. Greylist servers belong in the whitelist section. Greylist servers have no further restrictions.
  • Open servers are available for play immediately or near immediately. Open servers belong in the Open server section. Open servers must never have applications, even for staff.

Again, because it was my mistake, you are being given a chance to fix it. So use it. You have until the 4th.

sigh, you really want to do it this way I guess. that's unfortunate.

you have a sign that says, "go post a review and you get free stuff depending on how good your post is". you can try and argue that you are talking about quality, like grammar and spelling, but let's be real here: the intent is obvious. any reasonable person would look at that and say, "oh so if I post a good (meaning positive) review, I get free diamonds! cool!" that is going to result in astroturfing. there's simply no way around it. it is NOT encouraging discussion, it is encouraging making a single post for a treat.

lastly, while I can't force you to do anything, I can remove this thread and/or ban you from the forums. before you start typing another post proclaiming your innocence and trying to explain how you're not breaking any rules and therefor should not be banned and I'm a big meany head, allow me to show you one of our fantastic rules, made just for you!

also arguably the no mod sass rule. additionally,

you are free to simply do nothing, but if you want your thread to stay here I'd suggest thinking about whether or not it's worth fighting over. I would have preferred to do this in a more friendly manner, but I do not have time to read a bunch of posts picking nits. I don't rightly care if you think you're being treated unfairly, either.

as for the application thing, maiden isn't around for me to ask them about it, but I'm not really inclined to go the extra mile here for you so it stands. figure out a different way to handle staff applications.

TL;DR: do it or this thread is gone and never coming back. if that's worth it to you, feel free to do nothing and find other places to recruit new players after the 4th of october. I don't really care either way.

Hah. Don't make me fucking laugh. Just because you have that little tag next to your name, doesn't save you from looking like a complete idiot. You don't own me, nor do you own this website. You have guidelines to follow too.

I have done nothing wrong in anyway. I've simply tried to get some real conversation going in here, because lately this thread has been packed to the brim with butthurt morons.

You want to call me unethical? I don't give two shits. I'll say this again, I've done nothing wrong. In fact, I'm pretty sure that small time indie developers do the same thing. This is especially true with the Appstore scene. These game developers would reward players who wrote reviews of their games.

Also, seeing as I am the Author of those signs, I'm the one who gets to say what I meant by "depending on how good your post is". And I'm pretty sure I meant grammar and quality. As I said before, I'm simply trying to get a discussion going on my thread, that is on topic.

Ahh yes, I'm totally encouraging one liner posts.

Ok thoughts on this server...

I have been playing this for almost 3 full days. I love the help that the owner gives right away. He just recently had issues with some of the mods he had and let me tell you what. When it started off there was craziness and it only lasted for about an hour after he was aware it was happening. Took them out very fast and was able to fix the world very quickly. On top of that he watches everything that is going on. Had a few players trying to give out other server IP's and was able to clean that up with in minutes of the first post. I really recommend this server to anyone of all ages. The way he put everything together was very timely done. If your searching for a server that challenges you this is one that will put your skills to the test. What I mean by that is you can't just dig down find diamonds you really need to get out there and look for them. same goes for all the rest of the ores and such. Really fun and rewarding to play on this server. For sure will be donating to the server in a few days. Thanks Malice for such a great server and for keeping it clean.!

Oh Malice, how will you ever explain this one:

I think this is on of the best tekkit servers, why? Becuase of the friendly staff, great fun with pvp and make your own towns. Plus I have been looking for a fun server to go on, so my friend "ashfire909" recommended this one. I have had a blast so

far!

As said before, I haven't broke any rules with this one, only with the signing of Usernames. A brief misinterpretation that I was quick to rectify.

Look. Asking people to come and write reviews for you isn't against the rules. Scummy as hell, but legal. Telling them to /sign/ their posts, which is expressly forbidden on the Technic pack forums, and always has been, is against the rules.

But it's not part of your post, so it is something that needs fixed, but not going to get you a summary deletion in the post-nuke probationary period all threads are in.

Well fuck, I guess I rest my case now.

Oh yes, you certainly can remove my thread and ban me. But you would do so without considerable reason, and you'd show all these people how big of a fascist power monger you really are.

Ohh yes, flexing your big moderative muscles at me is really going to put me in place.

So what, are you immune to the rules?

Don't be a dickbag - (A bag of dicks)

See, I can quote too.

TL;DR <- Thought there was something in the rules about shit like this.

Riveting tale, Old Chap.

Another thing, You start your sentences with capital letters. That shit was annoying to read.

@Maiden

Open servers are available for play immediately or near immediately. Open servers belong in the Open server section. Open servers must never have applications, even for staff.

You just posted this. I hope you can see why I was so outraged, to be presented with a Rule that wasn't written, and threatened if I didn't comply. I'm assuming that ALL Open servers will be adhering to this new rule, or else?

Otherwise, It would make sense to make another announcement wouldn't it? And the 4th is so close.

Eitherway, you presented the new rule, I will reason with it. I will remove the server application skeleton.

Shit, I'll even go half way. I'll revise the whole review thing. I'll simply request the players to give their reviews.

See this wasn't so hard. Had we played nicely in the first place, without threatening each other, we could have came to this resolution much sooner.

EDIT:

I cannot edit my first post.

PROOF:

w855e8.png

when i try to join the server I get stuck at the logging in screen but it doesnt happen with other servers, help please?
Looking into it right now. I have no idea, may have something to do with the recent IPchange.

Okay, I looked into it. Something is happening with our VPS. Be patient, I'll get the server up soon.

thanks, your a helpful owner, unlike on some servers all the admins ignore you and talk to the more "important" people, but this is a good server and one of the best I've been in so far, but can you clarify what EE items are banned and which ones you can buy?

Yeah, I'm currently questioning our VPS. There was a recent IP change, I thought I've dealt with it, but there could be more. Have no clue, have to wait for these guys to message me back. Shouldn't take too long hopefully.

I'm not a good guy, but I do look out for the new players.

Almost all of the EE is banned. However moderated amounts of it are available to the donators. However this isn't the place to discuss this matter. I might break a invisible rule, or hurt someone's feelings.

See you on the server.

Malice, you've been personally involved in more childish drama on this forum than had any right to exist in the first place.

The ice you skate. It is very thin.

Not a hobby that I personally enjoy. But I'm not entirely stubborn. I look for compromises, as soon as I establish that I am not a Rug.