Minecraft 1.5+

danidas

Looks like Mojang revealed a good bit of their future plans at minecon and a lot of it is rather cool. Here is the gathered info so far about the future of the game on the minecraft wiki.

Planned changes

Note: Most of the changes listed here have no references since most of them were mentioned at MineCon 2012 respectively at the MineCon 2012 livestream (especially the Future Updates with the Minecraft PC Team talk).

[edit] Redstone improvements

• More predictable and consistent behavior

• The functionality of BUDs will be affected

[*]Most of the timings of redstone contraptions will change

[*]Overall redstone will be more like analog signals

• Redstone signal strength will matter (for some blocks)

[*]Capacitor block

• Only outputs a signal if the input has a specific strength
    • Configurable like a repeater
    • Is like a comparator that need to be set manually

[*]Perhaps a revised form of the Allocator

• Used to suck up items into a container/transport items between container

[*]Weighted pressure plates

[*]Perhaps a Daylight Detector

• Outputs a signal with a strength corresponding to the intensity of the sunlight

[*]Redstone repeater lock improvements[citation needed]

[*]Some Redstone bugfixes[1][2]

[*]Perhaps a new ore for craftingthe new redstone devices

• Will most likely be available only in the Nether, encouraging exploration of the dimension

[edit] Minecart improvements

• New ways of transportingitems

• Using minecarts similarly to Railcraft systems
    • New uses for storage minecarts

[*]Filling and emptying storage minecarts

• Specific rails to empty them

[*]Linking minecarts together (driven by furnace minecarts)

[*]Rails do unload mobs and perhaps players when reached

[edit] Rendering engine rewrite

• Current engines has some bugs
  • Will require a higher OpenGL feature-set

• Will include some sort of fallback for older hardware

[*]Support for high resolution texture packs[3]

• The geometry of individual textures can differ
    • No support for HD skins

[*]Much faster overall rendering, thus higher FPS.[4][5]

[*]Includes a less intensive variation of the lighting fixes first introduced in snapshots 12w39a/b (during 1.4 development)

The features were:

• Support for fancy lighting control[6]
    • Support for more realistic lighting, such as active furnaces only giving off light from their front surface[7][8]

[edit] Other

• No new mobs
  • Perhaps fireworks for New Year's Eve

[*]Perhaps a method of enchanting equipment with paper

• The player would enchant the paper, then use an anvil to combine it with equipment
    • The anvil cost to do this would be very high

[*]Possibility of Ghast Fireballs' sizes to be edited via third party programs[9]

[*]Perhaps new netherbrick slabs

[*]Possibility to set waypoints

[*]Perhaps an updated PVP/Combat system.

Looks like they are pulling another piston and integrating a lot of mod features right into minecraft it self. Including bits of redpower, railcraft, rei's mini map, and opifine as well as many other things. Hopefully they do a good job at it and don't hold true to their track record.

Should be nice to see. Analog redstone should open new possibilities. I remember reading about the OpenGL upgrade in the ModAPI chat logs, the plan I believe is to go to 2.X with the current 1.X as the fallback. Their was talk about 3.X but I think they decided going with 2.X would benefit more people.

Supposedly they're stopping development of Minecraft after they release 1.5, too.

Will be sad to see development end. Though don't know what that means at the moment.

Supposedly they're stopping development of Minecraft after they release 1.5, too.

bwahahahahahahah

I see no mod API in the changelog. minecraft development will at least not stop until that is released, even though Mojang is terribly inefficient, they do not lie about features that will be in minecraft. When they are implemented is a totally different story, though.

I think they meant "new feature/content" development. The mod api is separate from that.

Then again, it's not for certain, I think they just said they'll most likely stop at 1.5.

Unrelatedly, the mod api was originally supposed to be (partially or at least, barebones implemented) in 1.3 (iirc; at the very least 1.4), and now there's nothing at all of it in 1.5 even! Congrats on doing absolutely nothing for half a year, Mojang.

The official API statement might be from yesterday, but its still scheduled for "upcoming". I deeply hope mojang will take a deep look at all the work from forge and bukkit and cover at least all the hooks introduced there. I dont understand their laziness in this area at all. They take half a year to implement two mobs and a new boss, while mod like mo creatures bring this aspect to an entirely new level. RP, BC, IC2 ... offer technical possibilities beyond imagination and they fiddle around with redstone more "analog". Maybe some enchanting "per paper" while EE3 and thaumcraft offer stunning stuff.

Mojang should promote the modder scene way more, even give money to the popular ones, since they put the long-time motivation into their game.

I haven't kept up with it much but I believe they have or had a github running. But that seems it was only updated 2 times in July and 2 time in August. The blog hasn't updated since October. Right now I guess they might be sorting out request for the API and working on more bug fixes.

Some of the stuff from the "Redstone Update" is stuff they talk about in the modding discussion they did a while back, The OpenGL update and whatnot. Be nice to know why they keep pushing the modAPI back. Seems any attempts to keep the development status public have fallen into disrepair.

Wonder if they are just holding off till they get it finished instead of releasing it in a modular fashion. I can wait, I am just kinda curious what all they have done.

It was hinted that after 1.5 they are going to work on more world gen and add more biomes.

As long as they fix the world generator, sure. They've been adding new biomes since Beta 1.8.1 and all that changed was that the game had more templates to endlessly copypaste over the landscape without any real variety. They should either overhaul the generator completely or take the Beta 1.7.3 generator and add the new biomes to that.

Also, caves. So many caves. Mining decently? Forget it. Whoop, another cave.

As long as they fix the world generator, sure. They've been adding new biomes since Beta 1.8.1 and all that changed was that the game had more templates to endlessly copypaste over the landscape without any real variety. They should either overhaul the generator completely or take the Beta 1.7.3 generator and add the new biomes to that.

That should be a new world option, you know, for the world type thing. i miss glacier.

it seems open mouth caves are more rare...or do i just have bad luck

but i do find that caves in general are not as rare anymore....such a shame

That should be a new world option, you know, for the world type thing. i miss glacier.

I know what you mean. Seeds are pretty much useless now. Although I think too many options would bork stuff like servers. I think they should globally change the world generator for the better. AKA: Either 1.7.3 world generator with the new biomes or something better.

I especially miss being able to mine without hitting a neverending cave, beaches, gravel beaches, hills in a forest, not having sudden mountain spam, hilly snow biomes, large lakes, small ponds without the ugly splotches of clay and sand, and biomes overlapping with each other.

I know what you mean. Seeds are pretty much useless now. Although I think too many options would bork stuff like servers. I think they should globally change the world generator for the better. AKA: Either 1.7.3 world generator with the new biomes or something better.

I especially miss being able to mine without hitting a neverending cave, beaches, gravel beaches, hills in a forest, not having sudden mountain spam, hilly snow biomes, large lakes, small ponds without the ugly splotches of clay and sand, and biomes overlapping with each other.

rip 404

I do wonder when they will consider Minecraft done. Their was a lot of stuff they were going to add but have yet to get around to it seems. According to the wiki there was some form of at one point what appeared to be a way to have Minecraft.net launch Minecraft and connect to a server via a weblink. Not sure if their are still plans for that or if it is just left there from being planned then shelved. Wonder how many people will ask for Capes before the source is released. You know with if the modding API implementation is still they way they had planned awhile back (Package Manager style Repository from what I recall) they would be busy keeping the repo in order unless they outsource the work to someone else.

IMHO Seems kinda like this is leading to the fact after 1.5 they will stop adding stuff and focus on bug fixes, engine improvements, and HOPEFULLY the modding API then sometime later the source will be released for everyone to toy with.