Anyone else here excited for the new simcity?

willhoot

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really think no company can afford these shenanigans like EA.

A company is normally founded with the intent of selling a good product. Of course we could say every X out of Y businesses are founded to extort buyers and alienate programming staff but if I look at other companies like Valve I say in confidence that the death of EA will make the competition think twice about how to treat customers and employees.

I don't think we can change the world so that there will be no more upsetting practices but I live on the assumption that the capitalist system works and that it takes out the bad apples.

if EA continues to act the way they are acting, with things like their maxis brand ruinermanager making posts like she's speaking to her naughty child, it will come back to bite them. the problem is that it will take a lot of time and a lot more of that. while EA does some pretty stupid things on the regular, they also have a habit of publishing decent to good games regularly as well. say what you will about the company, but they have multiple very popular franchises and publish a lot of stuff that is actually reasonable on its own merits. in that sense they are not a terrible company.

the other issue is who they are making games for. in the end, games like simcity or madden 20xx are not aimed at me or people like me. I'm an adult gamer who has a pretty decent amount of time on my hands to play games, has played a LOT of games over the course of my life, and I peruse gaming related news sites and forums. that's not who these games are for. these games are for the people who don't really care about stuff like "game mechanics" or forums. they just want to play madden or tiger woods because sports are cool or CoD or MW or whatever it is because there are people that need to told they are a faggot and haven't been virtually teabagged recently, which can't be left to pass. they probably don't even know what an "EA" is if you were to ask them. they don't care. there are far, FAR more of them than there are of me and they have a lot of pull with their parents/have money to burn. it is that type of person that EA is targeting, and they're doing a pretty good job of it.

you can rail against the terribleness of it all as much as you want, but the fact is these people exist in massive quantities and the fact that they are being served in the videogame space should not be a surprise to anyone. other companies make games for people like me, maybe some of them will get bought by EA and stop, but there will always be some who will make games for me. it isn't the end of the world that "massive douche bags" is a lucrative demographic. it's a sad commentary on our modern society, but that's how it is. EA isn't the worst company in the world, they are simply the most prominent providers of entertainment to the kind of people "real" gamer geek types like me generally really hate, which earns them the spot in an internet poll where people like me are far and away more likely to show up to vote.

the issue is certainly not that the capitalist system is not working, the problem is that it is working correctly and some people aren't very happy about it because they have a really narrow perspective on things.

To be honest, I find the idea of EA actually shutting down unlikely. At most, it might shed a few of those studios it bought out or something, but I doubt that their PR will stop all of their sales. Games like the Sims 3 weren't such a complete screwup, and although EA might be damaged by this, those games which do go well are probably plenty to support the company. They may be messing up in some things, but that doesn't mean that everything they do is a complete disaster.

SimCity players report new bugs with patch 2.0

Players of Maxis' SimCity are reporting that patch 2.0, which released yesterday, is introducing new bugs to the game and, in some cases, causing the game to crash.

Patch 2.0 is the first major update to SimCity since the game's launch, and it aims to address issues such as the inexplicable fluctuation of tourists, delays in receiving invitations and the playing of phantom audio. Since the patch's release yesterday, players have taken to EA's forums and Reddit to point out new bugs that may be caused by the patch.

Among the problems reported include sewage overloads, cities reverting to old saves, cities being overrun with taxis, pollution being magnified, production slowness in Cheetah Mode, road textures disappearing and phantom noises coming from objects, such as trees making siren noises. An extensive list collated by Reddit user Imidazole0 can be read here.

Similar problems are being reported on EA's official forums, with some players noting that, since the patch was installed, firetrucks aren't putting out fires, buildings burn but never turn into rubble and workers are able to enter buildings that have turned to rubble.

We have contacted EA for comment and will update this story as more information is available.

Screaming trees are always fun. :drugnerd:

I'm just gonna laugh at the inherent karma in that patch alone.

That makes me wonder, is Will Wright still on board the franchise, or did he bail after Spore? I can't see his hand in this one yet.

If I were Will I wouldn't touch this one with a ten-foot pole. Even if he is/was involved, I doubt EA would let him comment on any of this.

During the first days of release he posted that all online games have opening day problems, and that this game would be worth the wait.

I don't think he's said much since... :stare:

• 4 weeks later...

I require proof.

This might be a bit of a late response, but it would be pretty hard to post proof, now that I have it.

Courtesy of a friend of mine. Of course, he lives in Australia, so he'll get shafted no matter what.

Like I said, proof is very hard to give. I suspect BL2 is going on sale pretty soon.

This might be a bit of a late response, but it would be pretty hard to post proof, now that I have it.

Courtesy of a friend of mine. Of course, he lives in Australia, so he'll get shafted no matter what.

Like I said, proof is very hard to give. I suspect BL2 is going on sale pretty soon.

There's no dates or other sort of date marking on that photo, just two different prices. One without the USD marker and one with. This is not good proof.

Look what I can do...

http://imgur.com/lQgKTFk

That image could be easily faked, taken from different times, different price zone or any number of things. Like dragonshards said, not exactly solid evidence.

Yeah, I know. There's not a whole lot of stuff I can do to prove it, because I'd need a list of price change history. But I don't work at Valve.

There's no dates or other sort of date marking on that photo, just two different prices. One without the USD marker and one with. This is not good proof.

If I take two complete screenshots complete with date, it still wouldn't be solid evidence, since you can change the date.