Anyone else here excited for the new simcity?

willhoot

So how is it now with this? I mean, it's been a while, and either ea paid everyone to shut up about it or there is nothing to report.

I also haven't seen any sales figures so I have no idea if this one is flopping hard. I still have no urge to buy it whatsoever myself, but a friend of mine seemed satisfied with the game.

I did notice he's quite rapidly moved on to other games to play so I don't think it's as good as any other simcity game, though...

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's fun for a while, and then one of three things happen, causing you to quit forever:

1: EA disables your Origin account

2: EA's servers fuck up and you lose all your hard work

3: You realize the game's mechanics are incredibly stupid and you immediately get bored

Why would ea disable your account? I mean... Is it likely?

(I never used it and don't think I will ever)

they were doing this to a lot of people who bought through amazon and claiming a chargeback was issued. the problem was that many people who got shut down had done no such thing.

also, teraku is pretty much spot on as to why you don't hear about it anymore. it's not that it's all better, it's that no one wants to play or talk about it anymore. personally, once I realized that unless I built an absolutely ridiculous city that makes no realistic sense I would be screwed over by traffic after an hour or so regardless, it became a lot less fun for me. also the complete lack of region play features functioning made it rather annoying, because you had to build a "jack of all trades" city no matter what basically since you couldn't rely on things being provided by other cities thanks to server stupidness.

Pfft that is just insane... What a laughing stock of an end product is that.

But weren't they busy fixing the traffic now?

Some cynical bit of me thinks that they're not really bothering - they've already gotten the most of what they want out of the game. The best I can imagine is it being involved as a patch when the first DLC is launched. When they give the free patch, people will want to buy the DLC.

But to me it's just a badly broken game made by a bad company, and that's what it'll stay.

Pfft that is just insane... What a laughing stock of an end product is that.

But weren't they busy fixing the traffic now?

they've attempted to do so, but I believe the traffic issues are endemic to their shitty "simulation" limitations. it would not happen nearly as much, even with the stupid traffic pathfinding, if sims didn't find new jobs every day and new homes every night. it causes a mass of sims to all rush the nearest source of jobs or homes or shops over and over, creating insane traffic problems instead of spreading out like reasonable people would. no amount of pathfinding will save you when 500 cars all trying to arrive at the same factory that has 20 slots for workers. it's gonna be a cluster regardless.

It's strange however. They used to do this well, I had to bulldoze neighborhoods or industrial areas to change the focus of the involved sims. Traffic was foul sometimes but followed a certain logic and was manageable. The rush hour update showed maxis' attention for traffic simulation, even.

I'm baffled by the intense torpedo to the flank this franchise took, right in the bulkhead. Dreadful.

The EA model is to spend millions on advertising after buying up brands and employees that people fondly remember, making a lot of promises, and then delivering a hollow empty shit game and shrugging. "We've already got your money, nothing is our fault, EA is a super great company! Also we're dumping these brands in a landfill and firing all the people who worked on it. See you next time we reboot something you love and you all pay for it like idiot sheep again!"

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/7053-SimCity

Yahtzee reviews simcity

/facepalm

EA isn't the worst company in America, they are the worst company in the universe. Jesus christ EA, how stupid cam you get?

Tbh, I think that title goes to the various oil corps that plague this planet, but EA does have a very special status. No doubt it's the worst there is in the gaming industry.

WELP! There goes EA. Let's all go celebrate the passing of EA!

Well their market share value has gone down 50% since Fall, 40% of that was since the start of this year. If they don't get their shit together soon they're done for. And I'd prefer they get their shit together because game companies aren't just execs, they are thousands of hard working staff that get fucked over and fired constantly.

True, but the demise of ea will send a strong signal to others of the 'what deffo not to do'-type. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Also if that vault opens and good firms can start working on those franchises and titles I'm sure the coders will find work again soon.

For the greater good of the gaming industry consumers I say burn the witch.

True, but the demise of ea will send a strong signal to others of the 'what deffo not to do'-type. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Also if that vault opens and good firms can start working on those franchises and titles I'm sure the coders will find work again soon.

For the greater good of the gaming industry consumers I say burn the witch.

BURN EA! BURN IT!

I don't know how i'd feel about the death of EA. While the company itself elicits no emotion from me (besides occasional bouts of rage), some of the companies they've acquired still do mostly good work. The risk of those groups and teams being taken over by someone else, and re-gutted could spell disaster for a lot of series that i still like. Devil you know, right?

I don't know how i'd feel about the death of EA. While the company itself elicits no emotion from me (besides occasional bouts of rage), some of the companies they've acquired still do mostly good work. The risk of those groups and teams being taken over by someone else, and re-gutted could spell disaster for a lot of series that i still like. Devil you know, right?

That is true. It really is never ending isn't it. Hopefully some of them see an opportunity and become more than "A company EA owned".