Donators.

Jason Parkinson

I like Minecraft. Like any toy or game we bought for the kids (of which I have 5 of), I help them play. Seems a harmless enough game, encouraging almost, all is good. There are post nuclear war lessons in survival going on in this game. Hippie harmony civilisations on a new world. Resource based (anyone swap,a pumpkin for 5 wheat type thing), no monetary quagmire, global manipulation or super rich omnipotence. All is good. As this too is my philosophy. In a nutshell, a game I'm more than happy to let Mojang take (x) percent of the responsibility of raising my kids in. An environment he created and I condone. . . . , and all is good.

So, why is it that my kids are crying? I never opened a train set or box of Lego or toy garage or anything I was given by my parents that during playing I was crying about. Maybe someone in passing accidentally or devilment caused a minor delay in the imaginary 02:30 departure from London to Timbuktu or delayed the opening of the Lego town fire station by 20mins or so (muuuuuuuum!), thats ok we can fix it also it has recourse. Small one may be but you can stand up to this clumsy interloper, this vandal and challenge them. Better still, mum can challenge them. You got dad (who is superman) the top trumps of all the top trumps in your back pocket. Don't make me get dad out. I think you can see where I might be going with this. What is the worst enemy on minecraft? Creepers, dragons, lava. Another player is the answer. No doubt. From an inadvertent command block on an unsupported mod, to a deliberate bucket of lava on a neighbours wooden house, another player is the worst enemy on minecraft. . . . and my kids cry. Like the three little pigs we shall build with obsidian, we are griefed and they cry.

So hey, tekkits is born and the binary world turns. Server protection aside, we have force fields and yeah we shall build them two deep for we have been tricked by griefers who say they are our allys, who set home here, then come back with others when we are offline and break our stuff and make the kids cry (we are getting to the point now). So we know our minecraft in this house, we know what other players are like. there is no naïveté here in playing minecraft. My boys recently built a house, a factory and a quarry. 2 pet golems a three deep force field around it. All day they played this game and by bedtime with thoughts of the things they had done and would go on to do in that place they witness two donators enter their house and smash the hell out of it all. And the kids cry.

So what is the point? Not my point, I know what my point is. I mean what is the point in this game at all. You teach us to live in love, sharing in a universe of , . . . . blah blah LSD hippie dogma Ender dragon diatribe. You give us the power to stop griefers ie;a forcefield, then take it away. Worse than anything you take it away for MONEY! You are teaching kids that all the effort and skill and perseverance in the world doesn't amount to anything compared to having money. Sick of watching my kids cry. This game is worse than any other game that I can think of and going in completely the wrong direction. Donators are the most awful bastardisation of this once beautiful game.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

why are you posting about this here? sounds like your kids picked a shitty server with terrible admins. maybe you guys should find another one, one without wacky donator policies or griefing allowed (coreprotect, worldguard, whatever is hip for that nowadays).

it sounds like you think the people who can do something about it are the people who create tekkit, which is absolutely not the case. your complaint is with human nature and the way things go when children attempt to run things without any kind of guidance (many server admins are, in fact, children or at least act like it). so again, find a better server.

edit: or create your own server (doesn't even have to be private if you want). all criticism is most certainly not good, this criticism is completely useless and misplaced. I feel rather sad that you feel, as their father, this is the appropriate response to random idiots griefing your kids on a minecraft server. but hey, not my kids and all that so whatever.

Easy Freacachu. He wasn't pointing fingers at anyone.

My only comment: I feel like your focusing on only one small aspect of the scenario. Donator status in certain servers, of any game, is not necessarily a bad thing. It's when ops don't take away their privaleges following rule Breaking, then it all goes downhill.

So what is the point? Not my point, I know what my point is. I mean what is the point in this game at all. You teach us to live in love, sharing in a universe of , . . . . blah blah LSD hippie dogma Ender dragon diatribe. You give us the power to stop griefers ie;a forcefield, then take it away. Worse than anything you take it away for MONEY! You are teaching kids that all the effort and skill and perseverance in the world doesn't amount to anything compared to having money. Sick of watching my kids cry. This game is worse than any other game that I can think of and going in completely the wrong direction. Donators are the most awful bastardisation of this once beautiful game.

Yeah I'm not sure what your point is. Surely you can't think that "donate to bypass protections" is a feature of Minecraft. Or worse that it is a feature of Tekkit? It is not. You have just picked a poor server to let your kids play on. There are plenty of good servers. If they play on a Tekkit Classic server then better protection plugins will be available. If they play on a whitelisted server, then people who will grief their homes will be barred from playing there (If those are the rules of that server).

You have to understand that Minecraft isn't a game that should be responsible for (x) amount of child raising. It is at most a creative outlet. It is an unintuitive game where nothing quite follows real life procedures, and if you allow them to play on public servers unsupervised, you are allowing them to play with anyone. Kids, adults, etc. If the moderation of a server is good, then that isn't a problem, but it is up to you as a parent to make sure your kids are in the correct environment and to help them understand the rules and conditions of that environment.

I didn't think I would have to specify what (x) percent was. You have exaggerated it to suit your point of view. Childish and you are using it as a distraction from my main point.

so what is your main point? the server your kids are on has a bad donator policy? obviously not what you're really getting at. what you're really getting at is some ridiculous "money is the devil" and "99%" type stuff.

here's the real thing though: your kids' server has terrible admins that don't handle donators properly. that's all there is to it. my, and cheap's, responses moved on past that because it's pretty damn open and shut not to mention obvious. change servers to one that aligns more with your view on donations. period, the end.

additionally, complaining here about how your kids' server is run is a waste of time. how about you complain to the staff that run that server instead, assuming you haven't already? you know, the ones that could actually DO something about the situation? yeah, talk to those guys.

You seem to understand and agree with me without openly saying it. That aspects of the game have become something to avoid. Why should that be? It's a game. See dictionary for meaning of 'game'. Why post here? Because in frustration I simply didn't know where to strike. Your comments so far have all been helpful. So my critisim has been constructive and your other pointless aside from my main was more nitpicking.

You seem to understand and agree with me without openly saying it. That aspects of the game have become something to avoid. Why should that be? It's a game. See dictionary for meaning of 'game'. Why post here? Because in frustration I simply didn't know where to strike. Your comments so far have all been helpful. So my critisim has been constructive and your other pointless aside from my main was more nitpicking.

here is what I am doing: I am solving your problem. solving problems is what I do, that is why I work in IT, solving computer problems. I don't agree with your overall premise in the slightest and rather detest it, however that is not relevant to the problem I, and everyone else in this thread, just solved for you.

what you're complaining about are not aspects of the game, minecraft, or the mods in tekkit. they are aspects of human nature. good luck removing or changing those.

Guy, seriously. Your children joined a server owned and run by other children, in a game that appeals to children. Why are you acting surprised that people are displaying childish behavior?

Here's the advice:

Grow up.

Find a new server.

Stop whining at us about things we have no control over.

STOP.

Are you people ever defensive! Even the undefendable. What about the next kid and the next. It's not just for me I point this out but those who go after. You don't care. You can't because you've become blind and indifferent. The game says tekkit, the kids play a game called tekkit. This is a tekkit forum. Your just splitting hairs saying its nothing to do with you. As for starting some 'my dads bigger than your dad' contest about what job you do That's totally beside the point.

Jason, I have no clue what you expect anyone to do?

This isn't even blaming a gun manufacture for gang violence, you're blaming a bumpersticker printer because a hit an runner had a tekkit sticker on his car.

You're looking for someone to blame and feel impotent against the 15 year old running the server you stupidly didn't research and had your kids join, so you go bitch at the guys who put a name on something.

You need to realize you're currently at the same level at the 13 year olds who come screaming on here demanding the admins force a server owner to unban him. Or even better, the little idiots who scream they'll contact notch if they don't get unbanned.

Go read http://notalwaysright.com/ then decide whether you want to keep trying to blame the admins here for the actions of someone they have no power over whatsoever.

• Moderators

My god... what are you arguing about, OP?

Your kids picked a poor server. Switch to another one.

Here is one I found quite nice : Protech.

Your going crazy and point fingers at... Technic staff?? people who created a modpack?

Not the server' people your kids got griefed.

You are being misinformed and unecessary hostile.

Why can't we simply enjoy the game...?

Shit will always happen, but they are not Cheap and Kaker's responsibility.

Many players goes day in and out from servers being horrible to good or awful to "ok"-ish. Many people report these "awful" and "horrible" servers. There will always be another dick admin server with dick people controlling it. Nothing we can do about it than report and move on.

I hope you will find another server that your kids might enjoy.

Are you people ever defensive! Even the undefendable. What about the next kid and the next. It's not just for me I point this out but those who go after. You don't care. You can't because you've become blind and indifferent. The game says tekkit, the kids play a game called tekkit. This is a tekkit forum. Your just splitting hairs saying its nothing to do with you. As for starting some 'my dads bigger than your dad' contest about what job you do That's totally beside the point.

We are confused as to what purpose this thread serves and to what end you are arguing for. We can't detect any "point" yet you keep posting as if you're rebutting something. Rebutting what? You are thumping your chest and getting offended but what are you debating? There is literally nothing to be on opposite sides about.

Here is what I suspect. Your kids (or you) played on a server where the server owners give donators too much power. Your kids (or you) cried about it and you came to post here because you misstook the "donate to bypass protections" feature of that server as a Tekkit wide or Minecraft wide feature. You learned from us that this is not the case, and it was the server owners decision to set that up. You feel embarrassed at being corrected and are not mature enough to just say so, or bow out and let it be forgotten. You have to keep posting until you're our hero. Your children's tears have to be Tekkits fault for some reason.

My advice? Drop whatever this weird internet froums pseudo-argument is and just find a better server. There are literally thousands. Trying to tell us that Minecraft is bad, and Tekkit is bad, because one server you played on had one bad feature is pointless and childish as you put it.

uhh, I only mentioned my job to reinforce the point that I solve problems. I don't give a damn what your job is. you can take your insecurities and shove them, the only one making a comparison is you.

let me try and explain this to you in a way you will hopefully understand: we have no control over any tekkit servers. it is not splitting hairs, it is the gospel truth. tekkit is just a name for a mod pack for a digital lego game. we do not run the servers, and have no control over the people who do. the only things we regulate are the format of server advertisement posts on the forums here. outside of that we have no way of ensuring any policies are in place or obeyed. each one is setup and administered by independent people who have no connection to the technic team who packaged the mods together, or even the forum moderators you are increasingly being upset with. this is not some legal technicality of a defense. we. do. not. run. those. servers. we never will, either.

the next kid on that same server will cry too, so will the next. if you want to be all "think of the children!" I suggest you try running for political office, at least if you want it to work anyway. I can appreciate that you don't like bad stuff happening to your kids, but you are going about fixing it in completely the wrong way. you need to put your money(irony) where you mouth is. stop posting here and either find or create a new server that doesn't allow griefing, and start over on that server, or track down the admin of the server they're on now and give HIM your "donators made my offspring leak and annoy me, also money is evil" spiel.

I'm not telling you this to be "defensive", I'm telling you this to inform you as to how things work. you clearly do not understand the concept of how servers are created or run, nor do you grasp how tekkit relates to minecraft. ironically, perhaps you should ask your kids how it works since I would bet they might know better than you appear to. that is, if you haven't drowned in the flood of their tears by then.

Reading the OP at first, I thought "he" was the mother at first... I'm still confused how such a good post-maker can be so confused on a topic...

he isn't a good post maker, it took him 3 rambling paragraphs to make a failed attempt at approaching a coherent point.

Announcements

• Anything claiming to be official Technic servers are not allowed here, for obvious reasons