Cool compact power-supply. (Not TOO expensive, but a little bit of effort needed)

So one of my players got pretty depressed when his steam turbine no longer worked lol. So another player decided to look for energy solutions. He found this machine some youtuber had made, and I found it absolutely incredible. So here it is. (note, I am not gonna tell you how to craft these parts.)

0rZMSDq.png?1

This machine will fill up a resonant energy cell in a bout 30 seconds, give you infinite lava (1 bucket is needed to start it, then it produces enough energy to run it self and power the energy cell. And the bi-product of it is lava, which it produces more then is needed so you get free lava from it.)

Its a nice compact little machine and I like it.

Hope you do as well.

This uses a bug that can destroy chunks (an infinite energy loop bug caused by having GC wires near TE outputs).  I'd strongly advise not putting it near your base or in any chunk you want to keep (if it causes problems and there isn't a proper backup there's nothing anyone can do to help you, just a heads up in advance that people aren't being mean when they say they can't help you).

Here's a super simple example that'll demonstrate the bug for you if you want to see that it is in fact a bug;

asAb21P.jpg

That's an energy cell on top of a steam dynamo on top of an aqueous accumulator, with a wire on the side of the dynamo.

It's been explained a few times before, it's definitely bugged though (the lava fabricator doesn't make as much power as a magma dynamo can generate with it so you lose overall - use conduits instead of wire and you'll see for sure).

What happens is the wire passes to nearby neighbours even if they don't appear to be connected (like my example), the end result is because they do this at the start of a tick they pass to every output for every connection which is why you're getting 12x more power than you'd expect initially, then an exponential ramp up as the generators begin to store power and pass it back out as fast as they can.  The chunk corruption comes when the value of power stored in the wires gets too high to be saved by the space it has in the chunk's file, info is written outside of where it's supposed to be (there's no check because those numbers should be impossible), it saves fine but when you go to load the chunk there's garbage in an unexpected place that can cause a variety of issues.  The worse cases me and Kalbintion have linked to this have done damage to the entire world, though those were extreme and we're not sure exactly how they happened this bug is still the most likely culprit - careful with it. :)

The golden rule is that GC wires shouldn't touch anything more than once unless it's a GC machine and they shouldn't run alongside anything that can take or output RF (because they may connect without looking like they're connected).

Here's an example using the exact bug you have going on there built as efficiently as I could think of (you can probably make it 2x2 rather than 2x3 though);

znO5ME3.jpg

Try that - the issue comes from the wire in the middle that doesn't appear to connect to the dynamo.

Edited by Loader

HISS ALUMINUM WIRES BAAAAAD

LOL :)

A bit of an extreme reaction, just be super careful and check everything before you leave it alone - it'll get fixed at some point anyway (it's a new bug with this version of galacticraft, the old one was that power didn't transmit at all) so it's not really a replacement for steam turbines unless you like replacing power systems every couple versions.

It's a bug that got introduced when they fixed another bug, it'll probably be fixed soon.

Edit: Just spotted that GC is actually opensourced, I'm out of the country for a week but I might take a look at it myself when I get back - no promises though.

Edit2: Just had a quick look, the section that does the advanced part of the connection checking has just been commented out, I assume temporarily (this kind of thing usually is).  It was stopping connections from happening at all, so it simply lets all connections happen now (which allows the duplicate and multiple connection bug that we're seeing in this thread).

In case someone wants to look at it, it's probably caused by one of the commented out sections in worldUtil.getAdjacentPowerConnections, the linking to it from BlockTransmitter (which the wires are children of) looks simple enough that I doubt it's there.

Here's the bit I'm talking about, git link is here.

public static TileEntity[] getAdjacentPowerConnections(TileEntity tile)
	{
		TileEntity[] adjacentConnections = new TileEntity[6];

//boolean isMekLoaded = NetworkConfigHandler.isMekanismLoaded();
		//boolean isTELoaded = NetworkConfigHandler.isThermalExpansionLoaded();
		//boolean isIC2Loaded = NetworkConfigHandler.isIndustrialCraft2Loaded();
		//boolean isBCLoaded = NetworkConfigHandler.isBuildcraftLoaded();

BlockVec3 thisVec = new BlockVec3(tile);
		for (ForgeDirection direction : ForgeDirection.VALID_DIRECTIONS)
		{
			TileEntity tileEntity = thisVec.getTileEntityOnSide(tile.getWorldObj(), direction);

if (tileEntity instanceof IConnector)
			{
				if (((IConnector) tileEntity).canConnect(direction.getOpposite(), NetworkType.POWER))
				{
					adjacentConnections[direction.ordinal()] = tileEntity;
				}
			}
			/*else if (isMekLoaded && tileEntity instanceof IStrictEnergyAcceptor)
			{
				if (((IStrictEnergyAcceptor) tileEntity).canReceiveEnergy(direction.getOpposite()))
				{
				}
			}
			else if (isTELoaded && tileEntity instanceof IEnergyHandler)
			{
				if (((IEnergyHandler) tileEntity).canInterface(direction.getOpposite()))
				{
				}
			}
			else if (isIC2Loaded && tileEntity instanceof IEnergyTile)
			{
				if (tileEntity instanceof IEnergyAcceptor)
				{
					if (((IEnergyAcceptor) tileEntity).acceptsEnergyFrom(tile, direction.getOpposite()))
					{
						continue;
					}
				}
			}
			else if (isBCLoaded && tileEntity instanceof IPowerReceptor)
			{
				if (((IPowerReceptor) tileEntity).getPowerReceiver(direction.getOpposite()) != null)
				{
				}
			}*/
		}

return adjacentConnections;
	}

I probably won't post any more detail on this in this thread as it's not really the place (please PM if you want to talk about this), but if you want to know why the bug's happening - that's why it's happening. :)

Edited by Loader

ok kwl loader. If you do fix it oneday, do tell me :D perhaps u cud fix a glitch with GC as well. People who use it in creative world, can fly into space, then float down, but end up in the over world, which is survival world, so they have creative in survival. Is there a way to make gc not tp players to overworld when they fall out but bk into the world they launched from?

This power multiplication bug between aluminium wire and TE is fixed in Galacticraft builds 1024 and later.

We maintain a beautiful changelog at http://ci.micdoodle8.com/job/Galacticraft/changes

so that players like you can see what is being fixed.

If you want to have all the most recent updates in Attack of the B Team then ask the modpack makers to update to the latest Galacticraft version which is 2.0.13.

NOTE: generally speaking, whatever build is in the modpack, server owners can safely update server-side only to the latest build as long as it has the same Galacticraft minor version number. Example: if the modpack has 2.0.12.1026, the server can actually run 2.0.12.1059 to get the latest bugfixes. Any Galacticraft 2.0.12 client should have no problem connecting to a server running 2.0.12.1059 and the players will not even know the build number is different. Hope you server owner guys understood this.

And @Loader? Lol at trying to fix it in the source code yourself instead of looking at the changelog, coming to the Galacticraft forum to ask, or maybe opening an issue about this on Github.

cheers all

radfast

(Galacticraft co-dev)

Edited by radfast

Modpack was updated to use 2.0.12.1026 in the latest version (not recommended, so 1.0.11+) so this particular issue is resolved in the latest version of the modpack according to his post but isnt the latest version of the mod (2.0.13 is latest for the mod on 1.6.4) - so there is still an update that can be done.