What do you guys think about Nearbygamer?

BurningCake

Okay, I just wanted to have a discussion about Nearbygamer and what he recently said in a few of his videos. Repeatedly, he claims, being a long-time user of the Technic Pack, that it lags his computer very badly (and he has a pretty good computer) and that it was due to bad coding by the Technic devs. What do you guys think about that?

Second, in his newest LP, he manually installed many of the mods in Technic (ex. IC2, Redpower, Thaumcraft, EE2, etc.), along with some new additions, and received noticeably better framerate in game. Like a 20fps to 65fps (I think he said) jump. That's a lot.

Really, I was wondering what the devs thought of this. Is there anyway to clean up some unneeded or unused code in Technic? Or will we need to continue to sacrifice framerate for ease of play/installation?

Stopped reading at the first paragraph, because the guy is a fuckin' moron. The Technic team doesn't do any coding except the Launcher. They don't write mods. And I don't waste my time trying to diagnose and dissect the "logic" of an idiot.

If I were you, I'd ignore this "nearbygamer" person and move on.

The Technic team doesn't do any coding except the Launcher. They don't write mods. And I don't waste my time trying to diagnose and dissect the "logic" of an idiot.

Well, they do have to change parts of the mods to make them work with each other, don't they? Obviously the Technic Launcher doesn't make the game lag by itself. >__>

If I were you, I'd ignore this "nearbygamer" person and move on.

We, he a good LPer, so I will continue to watch his videos, thank you. And thank you for you opinion.

Well, they do have to change parts of the mods to make them work with each other, don't they? Obviously the Technic Launcher doesn't make the game lag by itself. >__>

They change config files, not mods. If a mod is buggy, a mod is buggy, and that's that.

No, the Launcher doesn't make the game lag. There are four causes of lag:

• [li]Notch can't write good code.[/li]
    [li]Mods have bugs.[/li]
    [li]There're a lot of freaking mods in there.[/li]
    [li]User error.[/li]

They change config files, not mods. If a mod is buggy, a mod is buggy, and that's that.

No, the Launcher doesn't make the game lag. There are four causes of lag:

• [li]Notch can't write good code.[/li]
    [li]Mods have bugs.[/li]
    [li]There're a lot of freaking mods in there.[/li]
    [li]User error.[/li]

I do understand that but, this is what I'm understanding from this (correct me if I'm wrong):

Technic: Many high-quality mods with ease of installation, but hard on a computer's framerate

Manual Installation of the mods (like what Nearbygamer did): Basically the same mods (plus or minus one or two), hard to install, but a dramatic increase in fps.

Am I right?

Perhaps anecdotally yes, but in practice, not so simple.

Put another way, because technic is so "out of the box" It's made to run ok on any system. A lot of people don't take the time to try to tailor it, and so they get ok performance. If you're installing the mods yourself, the tailoring is built in, leading to better performance.

At least that's my guess, anyway. It's thing like mods being updated with performance optimizations, choosing between different versions of optifine, setting the right switches in the mod config files, forgetting to disable certain mods you aren't using. If you don't change any of these, or a bunch of other things, technic will run ok. Just ok. But it has the potential for more, with a little investment of effort. Which, I would think, is still less than installing everything yourself.

And yes, he may have left out some of the more taxing mods as well.

Gotyaoi explained it well: When you manually install mods, you have one of two results: It runs like shit (because you suck) or it runs great (because you don't). Technic can't call upon the powers of Carnac the Magnificent to figure out what's best for your system.

I mean, for pity's sake, even the combination of operating system, JVM version, and maximum memory allocation can have a drastic effect. I get a vast increase in stability by allocating 4GiB of RAM to Technic, whereas a lot of other people who do the same thing get massive lagspikes to the point of unplayability.

With that many variables involved, it's a miracle it works as well as it does. Just think about that for a second: Think about how, on average, the Technic Pack works at a minimum "fairly well" on a craptonne of different configurations. Whoever this chucklehead LPer is, he needs to get a grip, get a clue, and get a notion, in that order.

Second, in his newest LP, he manually installed many of the mods in Technic (ex. IC2, Redpower, Thaumcraft, EE2, etc.), along with some new additions, and received noticeably better framerate in game. Like a 20fps to 65fps (I think he said) jump. That's a lot.

let me tell u something about that part, he did instaled alot of mods manually, but even after i warned him like 30 or 40 time he still keeps making the same mistakes,:

1st [hes bad, or at least he thinks by saying "I kinda like it"] - he has 3 mods spawning tin and copper into the world. The thing is, that means tons of copper and tin (wow cool) but a big loss with other types of ores (maybe not that good) does he intend to finish his LP with bronze tools?

2nd [the most stupid thing ever, even worse than what is in here http://forums.technicpack.net/index.php/topic,9842.0.html] - his mod instalation was so good that he couldnt even make an iron pickaxe on his 1st episode of the so called "tropacraft", cuz when he used the recipe he got other items, meaning his instalation is so messed up that even vanilla items got switched with other mod items. He had skeletons droping tracks (railcraft) if im not wrong.

3rd [hes so proud of himself] - I even offered my help to fix all the config files and the answer has "ill make the tweaks to the config files as i go along" even after telling him that I had all the mods to work together without any problems, even those he said he couldnt get them to work in his "Tropacraft Pack" (not a real pack, he want us to download all the mods)

after this u still think he is awesome??? u better make a new review about him

The work Agelian did on the original spout launcher made it drastically better. He codes for Amazon and makes the big bucks so he sure as hell isn't "bad at code". He's closer to a "genius at code".

Like was said, minecraft never runs the same on any two computers. He can run his mouth all he wants, but he'd get a lot more mileage just from playing with graphics settings or disabling mods he doesn't need, swapping optifine versions (there's three) etc.

No matter what, we can't make it run perfectly on every single persons computer. We set it up so it will work out of the box for most people. The best standardized settings we can manage. The fact that he has a roided out computer is probably the reason it doesn't work right for him. Because minecraft is an awfully coded and unoptimized game that doesn't properly take advantage of higher performance hardware. Unless he can go "aha!" and point out an actual clear reason why something we've "coded" is ruining his life then he's just making noise for attention.

"Hey, I installed a very trimmed down version of technic without all the same mods and I tailored it better to the specs of my computer. It runs better then a technic install did for me, I CAUGHT UUUUU! THOSE TECHNIC GUYS R FOOLS!!!"

:thumbsup:

optifine versions (there's three)

Five, actually.

The fact that he has a roided out computer is probably the reason it doesn't work right for him. Because minecraft is an awfully coded and unoptimized game that doesn't properly take advantage of higher performance hardware.

This is something people don't realize: Software has to be written to take advantage of multiple cores. For the vast majority of games out there, it is much better to have a 3.4 GHz 4-core than to have a 2.8 GHz 6-core, even though the latter is potentially 3.2 GHz faster with properly-written software.

I think you may have gotten the wrong idea about nearbygamer. He's not some tool that's trashing technic. In fact he's done/doing several lps with technic/tekkit and really seems to enjoy the pack. The dev build was giving him some issues, go figure, so he decided to do his own thing. He's made a few remarks about technic being under performing lately, this is true. I generally let this slide because one: he's admitted to not knowing a thing about modding and two: is, sadly, a bit of an idiot. But this is part of his charm so I'll keep watching.

I think you may have gotten the wrong idea about nearbygamer. He's not some tool that's trashing technic. In fact he's done/doing several lps with technic/tekkit and really seems to enjoy the pack. The dev build was giving him some issues, go figure, so he decided to do his own thing. He's made a few remarks about technic being under performing lately, this is true. I generally let this slide because one: he's admitted to not knowing a thing about modding and two: is, sadly, a bit of an idiot. But this is part of his charm so I'll keep watching.

He might not be slinging mud, but through his ignorance, and blaming 'technic code', he certainly isn't giving Technic good publicity. With that said, anyone with even a small amount of experience with technic, or even just experience with adding mods, will be able to see right through it.

Nearby is a great example of a "standard" minecraft player. He just has a camera and a moderately successful channel which swells his ego, sometimes a lot and sometimes a little. On the one hand he does LPs without even reading up on all of the mods he is using. That leads to a great deal of him running back and forth doing jack all trying to figure out why things are not working. He also makes a lot of incorrect assumptions as to what is going on relative to code and "under the hood" stuff, which is further compounded by his lack of researching things.

On the other hand he is actually very informative in a way. The manner in which he sucks can help tell a modder a lot about the ease of use for their mods. The way he stumbles through things, does not plan, and just sort of makes ramshackle mergers of different mods can also tell us a lot about how the average player handles the interplay between mods that technic tries to create.

Sure we would like him to be more competent like Direwolf20 (those who do not know, Direwolf20 is another LPer who does mod spotlights a lot. He does not use Technic but he uses all of the same mods put together with some other variations, almost to better success in some cases) but even with his failures there are still things to learn from it.

Technic is wonderful for the average person who cannot handle putting mods into MC to save their lives (like nearby) but if you can use your brain for a minute and put together your own pack, it will almost always perform better. In some cases you can even squeeze in things that normally do not seem to work right. A great example is Mystcraft, which absolutely refuses to work with Technic but if you put together technic almost mod-for-mod yourself it does not have a problem. Weird? Absolutely, and at some point I am going to hunt down what the problem is but that is not the point. If Nearby would spend more than a couple of minutes planning what he was going to do and what his issues were he would see a massive massive improvement.

I tried watching NearbyGamer's lp once. The guy doesn't even understand 1/2 of the mods he is using and is bad at minecraft in general. Seriously, makes a sword then doesn't have it on his hot bar. Then fights monsters by punching them and running around screaming like a 5yr old girl [then dieing] when any decent MC player would have tacked down a block or 3, opened their inventory equipped the sword and killed everything no issue.

I understand that he is popular with the younger crowd of minecraft gamers, but that is because he acts like a child either be it on purpose or because well, exactly.

So, is nearbygamer the new scapegoat for everyone to pick on now?

There is always going to be someone saying negative things about technic, trashing the guys who work on it, badmouthing the whole premise behind technic, and overall just some nastiness towards the Technic crowd.

What we need to do, as a community, is to let this roll of our shoulders instead of creating a thread about every goddamn person who does something negative towards it. Whether it's someone who's insane and spouts rabble, creates code so their mod will assplode if it detects technic, or claims shenanigans with launcher code. Who gives a shit.

When you make a thread about it, even if the facade is intellectual (because it always turns into a "let's shit on this guy" thread no matter how it starts) the terrorists win.

Do you want the terrorists to win?

Then you just masturbated and killed a kitten.

Way to go.

Also, buttons.

A great example is Mystcraft, which absolutely refuses to work with Technic but if you put together technic almost mod-for-mod yourself it does not have a problem. Weird? Absolutely, and at some point I am going to hunt down what the problem is but that is not the point.

Spoiler alert, it's incompatible with Technic's version of millenaire.

On topic, I've heard the dude mentioned in passing, but I generally hate watching Minecraft Mod LPs, because I spend most of my time wanting to scream at the screen for how crappily the person is playing.

He derps enough to be cute without being stupid. Why would I like to watch him mumble to himself while he tries things?

He is not a comedian like Toby or Jesse who can make failure into a funny routine. His strength is success, not failure.

He derps enough to be cute without being stupid. Why would I like to watch him mumble to himself while he tries things?

He is not a comedian like Toby or Jesse who can make failure into a funny routine. His strength is success, not failure.

I know, but a snippet of the occasional herp derp would be fun.

Something that oddly is charming to me is how he mixes up words sometimes. Like talking about glass being used here, glass used there, glass there, except every time he should have said glass he said sand. It is the sort of thing my girlfriend does so it is probably just hardcoded into me to find it cute.

Anyways no one cares about that, but something people might care about is his mod spotlights. They are a tad too long and he rarely goes over EVERYTHING in a mod, but he comes darn close. For example for Thaumcraft 2 he showed every part of the mod except for the obelisk and some of the items. Well as far as showcasing a mod that is really pretty good. In fact there are a couple of mods like Logistics pipes that I foolishly had not toyed with until I saw his lets play on it, at which point I immediately went into my factory and ripped out the entire RP piping network I had in favor of BC with logistics (for what I was doing the sorting portion was more easily handled by RP than by BC, but logistics pipes eliminated tons of filters and the elaborate request panel I had created for the better)