Enderchests being introduced in new MC snapshot

killerx09

Mojang should focus on optimizing the game, cleaning up the code etc, adding new features that aren't already added by some mod or improving upon vanilla minecraft features already in the game.

I of course want Mojang to do major optimizing and bug fixing as well, but I still think adding new features is great. With Enderstorage, only people that like it, or are even aware of it would have it, even when the API is released. Adding things to vanilla that improve the game are good because they improve the basic Minecraft gameplay so many people use. Sets the standard.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basically it's a chest type where it's contents is shared between all instances of that chest type. Basically put one down at your home, go to the other end of the world, put down another one, fill it with stuff, kill yourself, spawn at home and in the home enderchest you'll get all the stuff you inserted to the chest at the end of world.

I like that they're expanding the game and for free that always helps (don't have to buy an xpac or DLC), but I wish they would work on things not yet seen at all even in mods. ... Although that may be a very hard thing to do with all the mods currently out there. lol

Please, for the love of thegods, tell me that was somehow facetious. Please.

Vanilla gameplay is the standard/normal/original way of playing minecraft. I did not mean that in terms of quality.

The technic pack greatly changes Minecraft gameplay, as of course is the purpose of many mods. There is vanilla minecraft, and it has different gameplay compared to industrialcraft^2 of Thaumcraft2, etc. Now it's hard to describe a 'type' of gameplay in a sandbox, but I hope you understand what I'm getting at.

Any addition to Vanilla changes the standard gameplay for everyone regardless of what mods they use. And if that is a positive, an appropriate change to standard Minecraft gameplay or tactics, then I am 100% behind it.

That doesn't annoy me at all. If their goal was to make money, they wouldn't be modding someone elses software, they'd be making their own. Modding is not a profitmaking action, it's a game-loving action.

True.

First off, I just love how we have such a split opinion on these forums about this and it has remained a discussion instead of a flame war :D Good job folks! As for my opinion on the matter I feel mojang should have left features like this added by mods to the mods, unless they are going to co-operate with the mod authors in importing the entire original mod into the game, these watered down versions are kind of bad? Mojang should focus on optimizing the game, cleaning up the code etc, adding new features that aren't already added by some mod or improving upon vanilla minecraft features already in the game.

or just hire the developers and just set up a vanilla team who sends it to a mod team who then sends it back to be distributed to the general public

But then they would be ripping off VALVe! :P

And for some reason I'm perfectly fine with that.

Vanilla gameplay is the standard/normal/original way of playing minecraft. I did not mean that in terms of quality.

The technic pack greatly changes Minecraft gameplay, as of course is the purpose of many mods. There is vanilla minecraft, and it has different gameplay compared to industrialcraft^2 of Thaumcraft2, etc. Now it's hard to describe a 'type' of gameplay in a sandbox, but I hope you understand what I'm getting at.

Any addition to Vanilla changes the standard gameplay for everyone regardless of what mods they use. And if that is a positive, an appropriate change to standard Minecraft gameplay or tactics, then I am 100% behind it.

I still prefer to play Vanilla because it is, in all honesty, a completely different experience than playing it modded with the Technic Pack. Sure, a lot more like living in the stoneage, but a different way to play nonetheless. Not to mention that for some reason both my computers shit the bed when playing with any of the mods available using the Launcher, but hey, technicalities.

Aside from it being functionally useless in multiplayer, due to the fact that all enderchests on the server seemingly share an inventory. It's mildly useful in Singleplayer for mining expeditions and such

Actually, sharing an inventory is very handy for community resources or quick trading in multiplayer. I like that alot. Also one person mining while the other sorts it.

Aside from it being functionally useless in multiplayer, due to the fact that all enderchests on the server seemingly share an inventory. It's mildly useful in Singleplayer for mining expeditions and such

Actually, sharing an inventory is very handy for community resources or quick trading in multiplayer. I like that alot. Also one person mining while the other sorts it.

Also for Nether expeditions. It may be inferior to the Ender chests mod, but it's still a handy thing to have.

Not when there's someone standing with their own chest stealing everything that gets put into the chest.

Not all multiplayer servers are comprised of people who steal stuff and don't trust each other. Sure it's not ideal for a big server or a public server, but for a server like the one I run, we're a small group of friends and that is very very handy.

You can stop acting like it was actually intended behavior on Mojang's part and not yet another oversight due to convoluted and inefficient infrastructure, now. We get it: It's useful on a small friends-only server. That's still a feature that could have been added to the actual Ender Storage mod.

You can stop acting like it was actually intended behavior on Mojang's part and not yet another oversight due to convoluted and inefficient infrastructure, now. We get it: It's useful on a small friends-only server. That's still a feature that could have been added to the actual Ender Storage mod.

It's a snapshot. We have no idea if Mojang is going to change things for multiplayer. And, there is no guarantee any servers (especially large scale) would implement the Enderstorage mod, even if it was updated to be better with multiplayer than the ender chest in vanilla.

Now, disliking Mojang is perfectly fine, but blindly bashing anything they do is just as useless and unproductive as blindly praising anything they do.

This is the only point I was referring to.

That's more of a thing like this: "If, out of the last 40 times X occurred, it was demonstrated to be because of Y 35 of those times, are you really going to see an X and not see a Y?"

It's exactly the same as the enderchest ChickenBones originally made, except for:

1. Being far too easy to craft

2. Not having the colour coding

3. Being accessable by anyone on the same server as you

4. Looking like a washing machine after a house fire

So aside from game balance, practicality, being 99% unusable on servers, and general style it is exactly the same.

So aside from game balance, practicality, being 99% unusable on servers, and general style it is exactly the same.

Touché.

I'm more worried about the statement made by the mod author that having this feature in the game is making him rethink the way he's done his mod. Being able to color the top of the chests is really pretty and neat, no matter what functionality it's attached to, and I hope we don't lose that. Ender chests actually make a neat floor decoration.

God damn it, now Jeb is ripping shit off as bad as Notch was. Are they actually so convinced of the divine substance of their game that they think anything they touch turns to crystal? Shitty Railcraft ripoff, shitty Millenaire ripoff, shitty Ender Storage ripoff...come on, now. While false and baseless accusations of ripoffs and plagiarism get thrown back and forth throughout the modding community any time Eloraam puts out a new feature, here is Mojang going and actually doing it.

I'm slowly losing my mind.

You forgot the Tomes Mod ripoff?

Well yeah let's hope in future snapshots there will be a way to separate your own enderchest from your friends. Imagine stuffing your diamonds into them, then your friend makes one and takes all them diamonds out.

You forgot the Tomes Mod ripoff?

Well yeah let's hope in future snapshots there will be a way to separate your own enderchest from your friends. Imagine stuffing your diamonds into them, then your friend makes one and takes all them diamonds out.

I doubt it. Jeb tweeted that this was intentional. He wanted them to have a drawback on servers. From his tweet on the 24th "No, I wanted it to have a drawback, and it makes more sense that it's the same chest for everyone".