Enderchests being introduced in new MC snapshot

killerx09

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're working on the API which they plan to release with the next update. Which is 1.3.

I'm actually happy to see enderchests in vanilla, although I really wish they had a color coding system as well. Because they don't, I don't see a reason to not include the Enderstorage in future technics/etc. Win win imo.

God damn it, now Jeb is ripping shit off as bad as Notch was. Are they actually so convinced of the divine substance of their game that they think anything they touch turns to crystal? Shitty Railcraft ripoff, shitty Millenaire ripoff, shitty Ender Storage ripoff...come on, now. While false and baseless accusations of ripoffs and plagiarism get thrown back and forth throughout the modding community any time Eloraam puts out a new feature, here is Mojang going and actually doing it.

I'm slowly losing my mind.

Shitty Railcraft ripoff

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm fairly sure Booster and Detector rails have been around longer than Railcraft.

shitty Millenaire ripoff

I doubt you can call the concept of an NPC village a "ripoff". It's like saying Dragon Quest 3 ripped off Final Fantasy 3's job system; they're both similar but they have differences. Millenaire only has a bit more functionality than NPC villages at the moment.

Not to defend Mojang on this, of course. Goddamn, at least Jeb cooperated with the Pistons guy on the vanilla version of Pistons.

I don't see why this is such a super huge deal honestly. It's a good feature for a number of reasons, so i can't seem to find reason to fault mojang for doing something to improve their game.

I don't see why this is such a super huge deal honestly. It's a good feature for a number of reasons, so i can't seem to find reason to fault mojang for doing something to improve their game.

I completely agree. At least they are taking input from the community and are putting it into the game. I still wish they would finally make the maps copyable like they said they were going to. The multimap tracking thingy they said they were going to do works, they just haven't provided a way to copy it other than sharing map 0, obtainable through creative mode.

Aside from it being functionally useless in multiplayer, due to the fact that all enderchests on the server seemingly share an inventory. It's mildly useful in Singleplayer for mining expeditions and such

Don't go saying it's useless yet, because it has only been mentioned, we don't even know exactly what it does yet.

Note: I can't actually get to the article at school, so if I say something that contradicts the article, don't blame me, blame my school.

No, what they should have bern doing instead of that was putting more work into the api and distribution system and the architecture merger, at which point the better and bigger ender mod itself would be importable by the regular player.

Instead of ripping off good mods poorly, in the name of giving vanilla players more features, they should be working on getting mods into mainline integration.

They need to get a grip and realize the nodders make better content than they have ever imagined. Let Mojang work on architecture and stability and let genuine creative and capable people make the content.

No, what they should have bern doing instead of that was putting more work into the api and distribution system and the architecture merger, at which point the better and bigger ender mod itself would be importable by the regular player.

Instead of ripping off good mods poorly, in the name of giving vanilla players more features, they should be working on getting mods into mainline integration.

They need to get a grip and realize the nodders make better content than they have ever imagined. Let Mojang work on architecture and stability and let genuine creative and capable people make the content.

Nothing is keeping people from uploading the mod version of enderchests, and who said they weren't working on the API alongside the enderchest?

• Forum Administrators

Pffftttt nobody plays vanilla. Minecraft is suffernig because Mojang doesn't "get it", they either lost sight or never actually knew where they were taking the game, and they certainly don't seem to have any idea where they want to take the game anyway. Besides talking about how they can make more money. And going back on the whole "every version of Minecraft is yours!!"

Man I could be critical about Mojang all day, it's practically my hobby.

Pffftttt nobody plays vanilla. Minecraft is suffernig because Mojang doesn't "get it", they either lost site or never actually knew where they were taking the game, and they certainly don't seem to have any idea where they want to take the game anyway. Besides talking about how they can make more money. And going back on the whole "every version of Minecraft is yours!!"

Man I could be critical about Mojang all day, it's practically my hobby.

I play vanilla.... At times.

Hey jakj how about this to add to your fire?

Looks like the mod api has been pushed back to 1.4

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1217794-mod-api-delayed-to-14-dinnerbone-tweeted-it-and-few-people-noticed/

If I'd be optimistic I'd say they did the right thing and decided not to do two things simultaneously (unify server + singleplayer and provide modding API). Being realistic I bet 1.3 will have hugely changed internals from partially implemented modding API meaning everything breaks and there is little point in making mods compatible with it since 1.4 will provide a proper and final API.

Wait... explain to me, what is and does an enderchest?

Ender chests have a unified inventory, shared between multiple chests. The theory is that the inventory is stored in "The End" or some other pocket dimension.

http://thetekkit.wikia.com/wiki/Ender_Chest

Currently, there is an "Ender Chest/Storage" mod that allows the user to have multiple sets of ender chests. The inventory is accessible, even if the user is in a different dimension (The End, Overworld, or Nether). With newer versions, you can craft an "ender bag" that allows you mobile access to the shared inventory

I don't think they ripped off Chicken bones, but merely implemented something that has been suggested by various people. They did say it was a suggestion on Reddit from seven months ago.

And I agree with you on the API, but at the same time I don't think the enderchest will have any great effect on when the API is released.

I'm not saying Mojang is better than it's modding community, nor am I even saying they are efficient. But I really don't think complaining about new features being added into the game, regardless of whether they are already mods or not, is warranted.

Even when the API is released, there are such a huge and varying amount of mods that it will still be worthwhile for Mojang to add things into the game they think will make it better, and still have a standard way of playing Minecraft.

God damn it, now Jeb is ripping shit off as bad as Notch was. Are they actually so convinced of the divine substance of their game that they think anything they touch turns to crystal? Shitty Railcraft ripoff, shitty Millenaire ripoff, shitty Ender Storage ripoff...come on, now. While false and baseless accusations of ripoffs and plagiarism get thrown back and forth throughout the modding community any time Eloraam puts out a new feature, here is Mojang going and actually doing it.

I'm slowly losing my mind.

You know what annoys me? That Notch/Jeb/whoever works on it earn thousands, no, millions, while modders, whose mods are usually better than MC's ripoffs, earn (nearly) nothing.

You know what annoys me? That Notch/Jeb/whoever works on it earn thousands, no, millions, while modders, whose mods are usually better than MC's ripoffs, earn (nearly) nothing.

That doesn't annoy me at all. If their goal was to make money, they wouldn't be modding someone elses software, they'd be making their own. Modding is not a profitmaking action, it's a game-loving action.

Aside from enderchests, they also gave dispensers the same ability as redpower deployers, where they will deploy a water or lava sourceblock if there's a full bucket in the inventory. They also now pick up said sourceblock if there's an empty bucket.

First off, I just love how we have such a split opinion on these forums about this and it has remained a discussion instead of a flame war :D Good job folks! As for my opinion on the matter I feel mojang should have left features like this added by mods to the mods, unless they are going to co-operate with the mod authors in importing the entire original mod into the game, these watered down versions are kind of bad? Mojang should focus on optimizing the game, cleaning up the code etc, adding new features that aren't already added by some mod or improving upon vanilla minecraft features already in the game.

Just peeked over on the MCForum thread for ender storage. here's the official word from one of the creators.

To answer all the questions related to Mojang's official Ender Chests, I actually like them quite a bit. Honestly, the Ender Storage mod is extremely overpowered. Having access to 4096 different chests within a single chest is something way way too good for default Minecraft and honestly something I've been uncomfortable with for awhile.

The fact that Ender Chest will now be a vanilla part of the world gives me a good incentive to re~examine the design. We'll see where that takes me in the future here.

As for those asking about versions for 1.2.3, there won't be a back~port of the new Ender Storage code to 1.2.5. With 1.3 around the bend, and a re~evaluation needed due to official Ender Chests, there is even less of a reason to do a back~port. Sorry about that.

If anyone hasn't seen the angry letter to mojang back in 1.8, you should.

However, why should Mojang not implement the best ideas from the community in order to manufacture the vanilla experience they envision?

It's not as if they are 'ripping off' mods willy nilly because they like them; pistons, ender chests, caveman squidwards and the like all fit perfectly in the vanilla universe, and nothing would be the same without them.

Every now and then, something from the community can creep into the vanilla game, and ender chests are a logical step forward, as Mojang seems to be fleshing out the later stages of the game with more expensive stuff.