"This modpack is not allowed to use IC2"

Western_freak

additionally, if the creators and maintainers of these packs are evil, as you put it, what makes you think they will not simply remove your nag code and go about their business? do you want to get into an arms race with these people instead of doing something more enjoyable? that has worked out great for the record, movie, and video game industry so far.

I know! EULA's and DRM are so effective! Wait, you were being sarcastic?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you took the time and effort to use a 0 instead of an O, but couldn't be assed to type more than a single three letter acronym?

that's impressive, I guess.

Impressive is not the word i would use in that situation, but you are the master word smith ;)

i would say that if they are not following the guidelines then they should suffer the consquences....if it means blacklisting the modpack or destroying worlds then i think that RichardG has all the rights in the world to do what ever the heck he wants to that modpack...

i would say that if they are not following the guidelines then they should suffer the consquences....if it means blacklisting the modpack or destroying worlds then i think that RichardG has all the rights in the world to do what ever the heck he wants to that modpack...

here's the thing: it isn't being done to "the modpack", it's being done to the players using the modpack. that's a huge difference. just because they're using a mod pack doesn't make them non-people who deserve to get their C drive formatted or whatever.

Funny thing is none of the people who release mods are following the guidelines set forth by Mojang.

who deserve to get their C drive formatted or whatever.

Now THAT would be a severe punishment for using a mod pack! It is true though the modders should stop trying to target the people using it and instead find a way to stop the people who are making the mod pack from using their mod. Targeting the users is perhaps the worst option for the modders to take. Trying to communicate should come before any changes to code are even considered. Communicating can easily stop things from getting ugly and worlds getting destroyed.

I keep seeing this argument. It's not a valid argument. I run a freelancer server on the weekends. I have the right to install a plugin that turns all the screenshots taken on my server into pictures of a baboon.

I have every legal right to do that. That in no way prevents it from being an enormous dick move. Legality doesn't even begin to enter into it, first of all, because modificatoins are very shaky legal ground even without Mojangs vague-as-fuck terms, secondly because noone is talking about filing suit, they're talking about people being dickbags (bags of dick), and thirdly, this doesn't even affect us! RichardG himself came on and told us that it didn't affect us, because our permissions are up to date (and richardg doesn't like us very much, in case you missed that part).

Funny thing is none of the people who release mods are following the guidelines set forth by Mojang.

and they have the right to break the mods whenever they want

here's the thing: it isn't being done to "the modpack", it's being done to the players using the modpack. that's a huge difference. just because they're using a mod pack doesn't make them non-people who deserve to get their C drive formatted or whatever.

i guess you have a point there...i didn't like singirs little surprise when he went on his rant about forestry

The following is the attitude Minecraft modders should have.

http://twitter.com/SeargeDP/status/262293083943731200

sorry, i am unable to grasp metaphors alot of the time mind explaining this to me?

I detect the bitter smell of contradiction here.

the irony is...i am a little bit of a hypicrte that hates them as well

He doesn't even know what the word "metaphor" actually means, so I wouldn't bother dissecting his opinion too deeply.

no, i know what a metaphor is, my reading compreshnsion is just not high enough to grasp abstract or somewhat abstract ideas/things

For minecraft mods, seeing any amount of time spent on childish DRM schemes(rather than fixing their dodgy coding) that only punish the end user makes me realize the mentality in the modders heads, its all about the adf.ly, the rest of you be damned... :( irritates me to no end, time should be put towards interoperability, not the opposite

For minecraft mods, seeing any amount of time spent on childish DRM schemes(rather than fixing their dodgy coding) that only punish the end user makes me realize the mentality in the modders heads, its all about the adf.ly, the rest of you be damned... :( irritates me to no end, time should be put towards interoperability, not the opposite

There are people who loved to solve some missing parts of minecraft by adding new stuff, but their objectives in life have changed. So i don't really see an issue with trying to make some cash off of his works; and punishing people for interfering with their business.

With the bee stuff players may have lost their worlds, it was technics credibility that got hurt, not the mod - because most of the players don't even actually know the mod names in the pack or the whole concept of the pack itself. For them it's just Technic, not even Minecraft.

There are people who loved to solve some missing parts of minecraft by adding new stuff, but their objectives in life have changed. So i don't really see an issue with trying to make some cash off of his works; and punishing people for interfering with their business.

With the bee stuff players may have lost their worlds, it was technics credibility that got hurt, not the mod - because most of the players don't even actually know the mod names in the pack or the whole concept of the pack itself. For them it's just Technic, not even Minecraft.

I suggest you grab hold of something securely anchored to the floor, you're liable to fly off when you're spinning that hard.

There are people who loved to solve some missing parts of minecraft by adding new stuff, but their objectives in life have changed. So i don't really see an issue with trying to make some cash off of his works;

Then they should go follow their new objectives in life, not try to warp and twist their old efforts to their new objectives. If you want to make money off of something, you should either provide a valuable service, or you could create something novel and useful. Making modifications to an existing video game is neither of those things.

and punishing people for interfering with their business.

It is Mojang's business, not theirs. An outsider's contribution to an existing business is either money (or refusal to provide it) or constructive criticism: Speak with your wallet, or speak with your reason. You don't get to walk into somebody else's business and say "I'm going to make money off of you, now, so we're going to do it -this- way.".

Our credibility was untouched: We know very well at whose feet lay the force behind the disruption, and we had a good little shitfit over it; I dare you to find anyone here with an IQ above 6 who says "Technic sucks because they made the bees explode.".

It actually pains me to say this, but I have to say it anyway: You are (slightly) underestimating the overall intelligence-level of the Technic playerbase, to say that the majority of them don't know what mods are or how they work. I can see some of the people who come here purely from Yogscast videos might at first not understand that it's a pack of mods and not just one big thing, but that really doesn't last long, not with the vast lack of integration between mods making it clear as you play that you're dealing with a very disjoint collection of sets.

I keep seeing this argument. It's not a valid argument. I run a freelancer server on the weekends. I have the right to install a plugin that turns all the screenshots taken on my server into pictures of a baboon.

Is that a real plugin? If so tell me where I can get it. PLEASE.