Railcraft - Please Remove

And the longer the list of developers who want to restrict usage of their free mods gets, the shorter the list of developers worth donating to gets. Best case scenario, you make something so cool that Mojang emulates it and rolls it into the base game -- making you irrelevant. Worst case scenario, people stop using your work, and your efforts are either forgotten or rolled into other mods if people actually found bits that they thought were cool but weren't worth suffering through all the other bullshit to use. (Namely, Gregtech levels of bullshit). Thermal Expansion is a perfect example of a mod which balances between effort, functionality, and fun. It can be done. Railcraft hasn't been fun since the second go round with making recipes more complex.

All this warrants is mockery, not respect.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another point I'd like to make is how modders, not saying all of them, but this one in turn, is actually putting terms and conditions on a mod that he created for a game that was open source. Look up to your fellow programmers/game designers. They were nice enough to allow you the right to mod their original game, and you want to capitalize the opportunity to make money on that. You're just as bad as a big name game company, such as treyarch (developers for call of duty) who try to milk people of their money.

Bottom line is that I doubt there will be people willing to essentially "buy" your mod for their own enjoyment. Maybe if you helped mojang develop minecraft in the first place.

sorry for the ranting everybody! Hope I've made my point.

Another point I'd like to make is how modders, not saying all of them, but this one in turn, is actually putting terms and conditions on a mod that he created for a game that was open source. Look up to your fellow programmers/game designers. They were nice enough to allow you the right to mod their original game, and you want to capitalize the opportunity to make money on that. You're just as bad as a big name game company, such as treyarch (developers for call of duty) who try to milk people of their money.

Bottom line is that I doubt there will be people willing to essentially "buy" your mod for their own enjoyment. Maybe if you helped mojang develop minecraft in the first place.

sorry for the ranting everybody! Hope I've made my point.

Minecraft is not open source. You may modify the game freely, but you are not free to redistribute Mojang code.

Please read up on open source before trying to use it in a debate.

Minecraft is not open source. You may modify the game freely, but you are not free to redistribute or alter Mojang code.

Please read up on open source before trying to use it in a debate.

Doesn't that mean that ANY mod that requires editing base classes to install can't be give out? Also for all his bullshit at least he isn't trying to sell it, like the guy making Fallout Deadstate is trying to do with "DLC" for a damn Minecraft map.

As pointed out in the above two posted, I usually don't use the correct terminology. Point being was that, blc, I will study hard. Thanks for the constructive criticism. Also, xanthan, I agree.

to another post:

I think its quite far fetched that someone believes they can completely remove something from the internet.

I have a feeling that what any of us say in this thread is not being paid attention to, and that the issue/conflict/whatever is being dealt with privately. I suspect that this is really just a "takedown notice" so that Covert can cite it at a later date if negotiations turn sour.

On the subject of the actual "takedown notice" I have to say that it makes me sad. Many of you know my opinion on Sengir's actions involving Forestry and Technic, namely the addition of anti-technic code, and it disappoints me to see one of the modders that I respect and look up to threatening to resort to the same actions. RailCraft is an amazing mod, but I refuse to use any piece of software (be it game, mod, or other) that uses malicious code to achieve its goals.

I sincerely hope Kaker and Co don't bottle out.

I'm tired of being mucked around, and someone needs to actually take a real stance. Bring this pseudo-political bullshit into the light for all to see.

Oh, about everyone being all 'oh no, FTB won't have mod exclusivity.' Guess which are the only two public modpacks with RailCraft permissions.

Fuck all of you.

I want to punch Dong Princess' pre-smug face before he has a chance to see this all.

I sincerely hope Kaker and Co don't bottle out.

I'm tired of being mucked around, and someone needs to actually take a real stance. Bring this pseudo-political bullshit into the light for all to see.

Oh, about everyone being all 'oh no, FTB won't have mod exclusivity.' Guess which are the only two public modpacks with RailCraft permissions.

Fuck all of you.

I want to punch Dong Princess' pre-smug face before he has a chance to see this all.

Couldn't. Fucking. Agree. More.

I generally do not post regarding claims to mod's ect, As I think that most of it is just bullshit. But this well its like that rich kid who lives up the street telling all the other kid's that they can play with his toys only if they do it in the exact way he want them to. 'Frikken' egotistical, childish behavior at best. Covert if you read this you should get out and associate with other people more, They are not like code, You can not bend and manipulate them as your will see's fit.

• Moderators

We have a more serious problem with Railcraft to deal with IMO: It is not a very good mod.

The REAL serious problem is the existence of this thread.

This should have been a off-the charts PM discussion between technic devs and Covert.

I hope technic deletes this thread before FC and his dancing wolfaboos start sniffing around

This thread is not that bad as one of the main issues with the forestry issue was that Sengir never asked for his mod to be removed. Now we have proof that can be quoted to show that Covert at least asked for when the hoard of people ask why the mod was removed. Which is good but it still sucks that it had to come to this, I am still hoping for a peaceful solution to this.

No matter how you slice this it is better then what happened with forestry.

As for the people saying that Railcraft is useless have you seen the whole steam boiler system which is easily the most efficient way to generate build craft energy. Which can be easily converted to EU with transformers and thermal expansion. Also its loaders/unloaders and rail systems are very versatile especially when combined with steve's carts.

You do not have permission to include Railcraft in this pack since you have not met the restriction I placed on future inclusion of Railcraft in Technic packs. That restriction being a publicly posted list of permission and license links. I made this fact clear to at least one member of the Technic team.

If there is a public list of permissions/license links available and I'm just not seeing it, please post the link.

Otherwise, failure to comply will in result more drastic actions that generally will just waste time for both parties.

PS. Before anyone asks, the Voltz pack did meet the requirements, their list of permissions is easily found. This takedown notice does not apply to them, only to the Technic Lite pack.

Please note that he (or she) didn't actually say that he would add the same things as forestry did he/she only said that the actions would waste time for both the modder and the tekkit/technic team.

The REAL serious problem is the existence of this thread.

This should have been a off-the charts PM discussion between technic devs and Covert.

Discussion involves two parties willing to compare and acknowledge that the other has a valid point in order to arrive at a mutually agreeable conclusion that benefits everyone. For that to happen, each has to have something the other wants.

In this case, the author wants his mod out, else some vague and undefined action will occur.

The downside to me if this happens is ... really nothing. The rolling machine goes away, and a handful of recipes simplify themselves. It contains nothing I particularly want or need to use. Downside for him is that his userbase decreases. New users don't necessarily ever see his work, old users who absolutely positively need to have some new powersource which follows the formula of exploding the hell out of itself if left unattended get to manually reinstall it.

What a victory!