Power Armor catching on fire

Buttneck

I have been testing out the power armor by spawning in the pieces in creative mode and adding the upgrades at a tinker table. I pretty much followed Duncan's recommendations for the settings and upgrades, and while I am still sort of messing around with it, it has been pretty much working except for one thing:

Apparently it overheats or something, because I will be in midair and suddenly I will be on fire! I used the heat sink upgrades where they are available, but they don't seem to make much difference. I don't even have to have the pieces equipped. If they are just in my inventory, I still ignite. I have tried googling "Power Armor catching on fire Tekkit" and various permutations thereof, and I can't seem to find anything.

I run a small server, and I like to build BIG projects. I would like to get away from relying on creative mode for flying, and the power armor seems to be the only available source of flight at the moment. However, if I have to worry about catching on fire in midair all the time, it doesn't seem like a very viable option.

Does anyone have any insight here? If the heat is something I have to monitor, how do I do it?

I have been testing out the power armor by spawning in the pieces in creative mode and adding the upgrades at a tinker table. I pretty much followed Duncan's recommendations for the settings and upgrades, and while I am still sort of messing around with it, it has been pretty much working except for one thing:

Apparently it overheats or something, because I will be in midair and suddenly I will be on fire! I used the heat sink upgrades where they are available, but they don't seem to make much difference. I don't even have to have the pieces equipped. If they are just in my inventory, I still ignite. I have tried googling "Power Armor catching on fire Tekkit" and various permutations thereof, and I can't seem to find anything.

I run a small server, and I like to build BIG projects. I would like to get away from relying on creative mode for flying, and the power armor seems to be the only available source of flight at the moment. However, if I have to worry about catching on fire in midair all the time, it doesn't seem like a very viable option.

Does anyone have any insight here? If the heat is something I have to monitor, how do I do it?

There is both a power bar and a heat bar to the right side of your screen. Mine catches on fire because of the kinetic generator (or whatever the leggings generator is called), so what I did was turn that down a bit. It still happens if I run at max speed for a long time. If you submerge yourself in water, it cools down faster. I don't know if there are any other methods to cool it down or prevent overheating.

Thanks for the quick reply. I do have the kinetic thing installed on the legs. I did just check it, and I actually have the kinetic generator turned all the way down. (Heat generation = 5) Maybe it is something else. I'll need to go over each piece. Also, I found it odd that I caught on fire when the stuff wasn't even equipped.

My Tekkit was acting a little glitchy anyway yesterday, (Half blocks not rendering, etc.) I restarted it and it seems to be running fine. Who knows, maybe this is related to something else...like the game still "thought" I had the armor on or something. I'll test further later today, since I don't really have the time at the moment.

Again, thanks for the prompt (and polite!) reply.

No, the kinetic generator is completely useless now. It generates so much heat, and the heat generation does not adjust with the slider. You can adjust it in the configuration.

I'd just skip using it until some balance is applied to the new heat mechanic. Put a solar panel on your head, stay outside a lot. Energy management seems possible at that point.

That being said, there are 2 units I have yet to try out, the cooling system, and the system that converts heat into energy. Maybe those will offset the outrageous heat generated by the kinetic generator.

There are no effective ways to charge your armor in game as the charging benches where part of an IC2 add on. There is the energy infuser (if that is what its called). But at max it holds 45KMJ with a max throughput of 250 a tick. When it's pretty easy to get 10 million or more MJ in your armor you could be waiting upwards of 30 minutes to charge your armor. I highly doubt that this block will ever change, King Lemming has already said multiple times on this forum that he believes that the energy infuser is more than sufficient.

Hopefully someone else will come along and fill this hole. I really would like to see something like the block in tekkit lite that would charge everything you had on you just by being near the block. You could even set this block up next to an ender chest, and take your armor off and dump it in the chest to be recharged if you were a long ways from home. It was awesome. Also you could build automatic min shard farming machines using this block to recharge a rail gun. But, this is something else that is not possible in the new tekkit.

Heat sinks help mitigate heat buildup in the power suit (my co-worker also tells me there's a cooling system upgrade for the chest). If you don't have those installed, you'll want to look into it. You still have to be watchful of the heat bar, but it's definately not as bad as it is without them.

It's really weird...I had the heat sinks etc. installed at first, but I uninstalled them, as well as the kinetic generator. I have EVERY slider all the way to the left on all the components on every piece of armor, and if I put even one on and just stand there, I catch on fire in less than 30 seconds. All pieces do this except the claw.

I guess I just have to use creative mode. ::sigh::

I have half a mind to just go back to Lite until this issue is addressed, but I really like Galacticraft, as unfinished as it is. Grrrr....

It's not an issue. This is by design. You have to put the power armor back on (preferably while in water) to cool it down. You will take fire damage when you do, but the heat will drop. You can use 1 piece to cool it down (i.e: you don't have to put the whole suit back on to drop the heat bar). The MPS is a rather complex mod that takes a bit of fiddling to get it working the way you want.

There are no effective ways to charge your armor in game as the charging benches where part of an IC2 add on. There is the energy infuser (if that is what its called). But at max it holds 45KMJ with a max throughput of 250 a tick. When it's pretty easy to get 10 million or more MJ in your armor you could be waiting upwards of 30 minutes to charge your armor. I highly doubt that this block will ever change, King Lemming has already said multiple times on this forum that he believes that the energy infuser is more than sufficient.

I thought I would add something here. The infuser output is actually 500MJ/t, and the energy cell's max output is 100MJ/t PER side. So, you can wire up 5 sides of an energy cell to dump power directly into the infuser at 500MJ/t (as a side note, the conduit can go into one side of the infuser, so no need to wire it all 5 sides). Stack enough of those, and you can charge your power armor pretty quickly. As a test, I wired it up, and dumped a full energy cell (600K) into my power armor in 10 or 15 seconds.

TE may not be what people were used to, but I don't think it's as bad as some make it out to be. Additionally, Quantum Armor only held up to 5Mil EUs, while the MPS can hold up to 25Mil MJs. So, the comparison isn't quite apples to apples (but, really, who needs that much power in their suit anyway).

Heh, well it may not be an issue to you, but it does seem like the heat mechanic needs some balancing. I certainly don't want to seem like an ungrateful whiner. (I love Minecraft and am grateful for the access to the huge amount of content the Technic Launcher brings to the game. I realize the whole pack can only get better, and will of course. I also understand the tradeoff mechanic is what makes the power suit mod kind of cool. I don't know if I am willing to tweak it that much though lol. I guess I am just lazy.

It does seem weird that you actually have to put on armor to cool it down, and only one piece at that.

Still, I guess I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth lol.

I thought I would add something here. The infuser output is actually 500MJ/t, and the energy cell's max output is 100MJ/t PER side. So, you can wire up 5 sides of an energy cell to dump power directly into the infuser at 500MJ/t (as a side note, the conduit can go into one side of the infuser, so no need to wire it all 5 sides). Stack enough of those, and you can charge your power armor pretty quickly. As a test, I wired it up, and dumped a full energy cell (600K) into my power armor in 10 or 15 seconds.

Excellent, thank you for the clarification. Sounds like super charging station setup is needed. Thanks for the info!

Hey just wanted to chime in since I've tinkered with my powersuit enough to where I actually think it's pretty overpowered and hope they DON'T balance it to make it easier (hopefully harder). I have the kinetic generator, it does NOT generate too much heat with one caveat: It seems like the "cooling system" (for the torso piece) is a requirement to manage the heat. You'll also need some heat sinks to go with it. I have 3 heat sinks, fully turned up on my chest, legs, and feet. This maybe, and probably is over kill. But I NEVER overheat and I have a fully charged battery (currently at 6Mil but that's irrelevant) that never/rarely goes down and I use all my systems at full power and without thought.

Let me know if adding these things don't help. I'll explain more of my build if needed.

Edit: One more thing to clear something up -

(Heat generation = 5)

I don't think heat generation amount changes with moving the slider, so might as well turn it all the way up unless WEIGHT is a problem as it does effect weight (with the trade off of energy generation).

Yep, the cooling system on the torso fixes the heat issue. Once I installed that the only way I can overheat is by spamming the rail gun or flying for long distances.

Where the balance is bad IMO is the energy. The kinetic generator keeps the batteries full even when using the jetpack to fly horizontally. I only have 1 hv capacitor and 1 lv capacitor, both set to the minimum and my energy rarely drops from full. The kinetic generator shouldn't create energy while flying. The jetpack should use a lot more energy and generate more heat.

The suit is very over powered and too cheap to max out in tekkit.

Yep, the cooling system on the torso fixes the heat issue. Once I installed that the only way I can overheat is by spamming the rail gun or flying for long distances.

Where the balance is bad IMO is the energy. The kinetic generator keeps the batteries full even when using the jetpack to fly horizontally. I only have 1 hv capacitor and 1 lv capacitor, both set to the minimum and my energy rarely drops from full. The kinetic generator shouldn't create energy while flying. The jetpack should use a lot more energy and generate more heat.

The suit is very over powered and too cheap to max out in tekkit.

I don't have an issue with the suit being cheap to both build and maintain. And when I say cheap, I mean easily accessed really, because you're going to go through a HUGE amount of wiring, which means more copper and silver than you will find for quite sometime.

While it is easy to recharge your pack just by kind of derping around, the mod author obviously wants this mod to be more casual than hardcore. You want harder suits? Install gregtech.

Powersuits were super broken in tekkit lite. Without heat generation you could fly forever with the kinetic generator and actually gain more energy than you lost flying at full speed. It was stupid and they decided to balance it with heat generation mechanics. The upside to this is lava and fire won't directly harm you now, the downside is you have to manage heat. The kinetic generator now produces a ton of heat, even with the cooling system turned up all the way I'd advise against using it because it creates much too much heat. Instead I just resort to charging my powersuit every once in awhile in an energy infuser. If your able to put out the maximum 500mj/tick with your power system charging doesn't take too long, and the charge lasts for a long time.

• 2 weeks later...

The (thermal converter?) does suck heat out of your armor if you have it installed. With that, the solar panel, and the kenetic generator, you can keep yourself well powered. The kenetic generator still produces more heat then the thermal converter uses up, but the rate is now managable and as long as you walk, you can stay cool enough for several minutes to do exploring. Not sure how much faster the heat drops with the cooling unit installed as well, have not tried that yet.

forgot to note, I also have the sprint assist upgrade installed and at half power, which adds more heat to the system but it is still easy to manage this way.

So people are mad because they made power armor less op

I'm not mad about less OP, I'm just a bit mad at how they fixed it. Kinetic Generators are next to useless unless you don't have any of the movement upgrades.

Honestly, if I were looking to make the armor "less OP," I would have just made the weight restriction ramp up significantly until it cooled down...catching on fire when you aren't near water (and haven't had the foresight to carry a bucket with you, etc.) is a bit annoying; that said, I haven't really tried the suggestions in this thread, as I kind of want to wait until Tekkit updates to include more stuff. I'm a bit addicte to Forestry in Big Dig at the moment lol.

The (thermal converter?) does suck heat out of your armor if you have it installed. With that, the solar panel, and the kenetic generator, you can keep yourself well powered. The kenetic generator still produces more heat then the thermal converter uses up, but the rate is now managable and as long as you walk, you can stay cool enough for several minutes to do exploring. Not sure how much faster the heat drops with the cooling unit installed as well, have not tried that yet.

forgot to note, I also have the sprint assist upgrade installed and at half power, which adds more heat to the system but it is still easy to manage this way.

The thermal generator addon does not drain any heat, it just creates charge based on how much heat you have. And the sprint assist doesn't create heat.

Powersuits were super broken in tekkit lite. Without heat generation you could fly forever with the kinetic generator and actually gain more energy than you lost flying at full speed. It was stupid and they decided to balance it with heat generation mechanics. The upside to this is lava and fire won't directly harm you now, the downside is you have to manage heat. The kinetic generator now produces a ton of heat, even with the cooling system turned up all the way I'd advise against using it because it creates much too much heat. Instead I just resort to charging my powersuit every once in awhile in an energy infuser. If your able to put out the maximum 500mj/tick with your power system charging doesn't take too long, and the charge lasts for a long time.

I use the kinetic generator all the time. If I travel long distances, I have to slow down and cool once in a while, true, but the upside is that I never ever have to think about recharging the powersuit again. The cooling system combined with 1 maxed out heat plating provides me with enough cooling and heat buffer to do many strenuous tasks without even approaching half the heat limit.