Why Mojang info?

Exit151

So look.. My first post, and I am pretty sure this is the forum category it belongs in.

I have seen some cool projects that use the tecnic platform. I was going to come complain about why yet a third branch of modding minecraft was created, it's already confusing, actually, annoying with FML vs. bukkit, and now to throw in a third makes it that much more insane, but really, that's a topic for the official minecraft forums as opposed to any one particular "branch" (for lack of a better word). FOr the record though, and this goes to ALL branches, not just yours, but one unified platform would be so much more efficient than each group having their own, and mods which won't work on b or c, but only a... Again, though, I admit this is a topic for elsewhere and will keep it at that.

My gripe, to me, is huge, though with HOW tecnic operates. I would like to know, in full, WHY it is that the tecnic launcher requires my minecraft/Mojang LOGIN information just to even bring up the interface to see what tecnic mods are available. This seems to me a HUGE breach of potential security. In the days of hacking and ID theft running wild, it seems irresponsible to force people to give information that has NOTHING to do with your organization freely away.

My son wants to play a crafting dead mod on our PC. It's already bad enough that most mods drag you to malware ridden websites and often try and "trick" you into clicking on the wrong thing, but now there a place (yours) that actually expects us to willingly give away our login info? If you were owned by Mojang, I'd say, okay. But, your not. You have no affiliation with Mojang whatsoever, in fact, other than you somehow organize multiple mods for the game Mojang created, and expect us to hand over our account login.

I request a method to access the mods WITHOUT compromising my sons, and ANYONE else who wants to run your mods.

In addition, I'd be interested to see why it is exactly that you require this info, where NO other mod group/system requires it. It's one thing to have a minecraft launcher, and for those who trust you, that's fine, but there SHOULD be a way for people to download the mods without using said launcher.

And before you say, "well magic launcher (not required for other mod systems, but can be handy) requires it, I'll tell you we don't use it, for the exact same reason. The difference being that I can run FML (or bukkit) without the use of any launcher. I cannot with yours. Pleae look into this and consider an alternative.

Thanks,

exit151

To provide a very simple awnser, we do it because it prevents pirated users from playing minecraft illegally. That is the entire reason we require it.

And you can download every. single. mod out there without this. You'd just have to build the packs yourself.

Also, please read the forum rules, Signing posts is against it.

• Moderators

If you believe there is something fishy about the launcher then please take a look through the code, the launcher is completely open-source and has been like that since it was made. If there were any users who had gotten their accounts hacked, don't you think there would be reports of that now? This site has been around for 2 years, almost.

So look.. My first post, and I am pretty sure this is the forum category it belongs in.

I have seen some cool projects that use the tecnic platform. I was going to come complain about why yet a third branch of modding minecraft was created, it's already confusing, actually, annoying with FML vs. bukkit, and now to throw in a third makes it that much more insane, but really, that's a topic for the official minecraft forums as opposed to any one particular "branch" (for lack of a better word). FOr the record though, and this goes to ALL branches, not just yours, but one unified platform would be so much more efficient than each group having their own, and mods which won't work on b or c, but only a... Again, though, I admit this is a topic for elsewhere and will keep it at that.

My gripe, to me, is huge, though with HOW tecnic operates. I would like to know, in full, WHY it is that the tecnic launcher requires my minecraft/Mojang LOGIN information just to even bring up the interface to see what tecnic mods are available. This seems to me a HUGE breach of potential security. In the days of hacking and ID theft running wild, it seems irresponsible to force people to give information that has NOTHING to do with your organization freely away.

My son wants to play a crafting dead mod on our PC. It's already bad enough that most mods drag you to malware ridden websites and often try and "trick" you into clicking on the wrong thing, but now there a place (yours) that actually expects us to willingly give away our login info? If you were owned by Mojang, I'd say, okay. But, your not. You have no affiliation with Mojang whatsoever, in fact, other than you somehow organize multiple mods for the game Mojang created, and expect us to hand over our account login.

I request a method to access the mods WITHOUT compromising my sons, and ANYONE else who wants to run your mods.

In addition, I'd be interested to see why it is exactly that you require this info, where NO other mod group/system requires it. It's one thing to have a minecraft launcher, and for those who trust you, that's fine, but there SHOULD be a way for people to download the mods without using said launcher.

And before you say, "well magic launcher (not required for other mod systems, but can be handy) requires it, I'll tell you we don't use it, for the exact same reason. The difference being that I can run FML (or bukkit) without the use of any launcher. I cannot with yours. Pleae look into this and consider an alternative.

Thanks,

exit151

to address your main point: because we are not allowed to distribute the game proper, only the mods. mojang provides an API for authenticating accounts that is used by the launcher in order to make sure you've bought the game and then download the minecraft files from mojang's servers directly. we are not the only launcher that does this, either. FTB, magiclauncher (that you mentioned), ATlauncher, as well as others all work the same way. it's no less safe than using the official mojang launcher, because it uses the same API to authenticate. we don't keep that info (other than on your pc in order to enable the "remember me" option, which is implemented the exact same way mojang's is). it's not sent to our site or anything like that. if you want proof, the launcher is an open source project on github. you can look it up and peruse the code yourself if you feel so inclined. there's no subterfuge here.

additionally, you seem to be confused about modding "platforms". there are really only 2 major mod platforms. bukkit, which is strictly server side mods and forge, which is more expansive in its power and not limited to servers only. technic packs all use forge (this is the "FML" you mention. FML is Forge Mod Loader, the part of forge that initializes the mods). pretty much every pack on the technic platform are also based on forge. there isn't a 3rd branch being created here, we're just making it easy to install and use forge mods.

there will never be an option to run our packs without logging in unless there's an extreme shift in copyright laws or mojang policies/licenses. if the launcher didn't require that of you, we would be unable to do a 1 click install and you could not play on any servers that aren't in offline mode using our launcher. if this is a deal breaker for you, then your son is simply not going to be playing the crafting dead anytime soon unless you manually recreate the pack yourself, sorry.

lastly, don't sign your posts, it's in the global rules.

Thanks for all the replies - They were very helpful. Sorry for signing the post - This is the first place I've ever seen where that isn't allowed, lol - Usually it's no banners/sig images, etc.. Apologies for that.

I'm not much into coding, but can appreciate your offer to check out the code, and can somewhat assume possibly others have dug into that and would have potentially called ya out if there was fishy code.

If I was looking for a particular mod, in my sons case, he wants the Crafting Dead Mod, how would I find it? All searches seem to point here specifically, which is why we thought/assumed that tecnic was required. I haven't seen a link in any of the relevent searches that points to a project/mod area that links to anything other than the exe for tecnic's launcher.

Thanks again for your patience.. Being the dad of a minecrafter is rough business, let me tell ya :(

Looking at the page for the mod, it would seem that the Technic Platform is the way the author has chosen to distribute his mod.

Basically meaning, you'd either have to use the Technic Platform or download it from some other, probably actually shady source.

Not sure why he did that.

• Moderators

I thought this guy confused modpack and mod, but it seems that crafting dead is actually a single mod.

That's really weird, why put a single mod in platform? Why didn't he just highlight it on modders metro like everyone else? I mean, if all he wanted was to be under Technic's protective wing?

I thought this guy confused modpack and mod, but it seems that crafting dead is actually a single mod.

That's really weird, why put a single mod in platform? Why didn't he just highlight it on modders metro like everyone else? I mean, if all he wanted was to be under Technic's protective wing?

it's most likely because he thinks everyone is derp and needs something like Technic to host his mod for the idiots who would break their computer by installing it manualy.

as others have mentioned, it does seem that this particular mod is something of an outlier. generally packs on the platform are conglomerations of other, individual mods that have been setup to work nicely together and packaged into a pack on the platform. minecraftforum.net would usually be the primary place to look for the individual downloads, but it seems like that's not the case here. technically, once you have launched the crafting dead pack once, the mod files are on your PC and accessable. you could simply prepare a minecraft install with forge and then move the mod's jar file over to your regular instance and launcher it that way from then on, removing the need to use the technic launcher more than once and allowing you to launch the game with the vanilla mojang launcher from then on. you would still be logging into the technic launcher at least once though, so if you truly do not trust it/us that wouldn't be a very workable solution.

as others have mentioned, it does seem that this particular mod is something of an outlier. generally packs on the platform are conglomerations of other, individual mods that have been setup to work nicely together and packaged into a pack on the platform. minecraftforum.net would usually be the primary place to look for the individual downloads, but it seems like that's not the case here. technically, once you have launched the crafting dead pack once, the mod files are on your PC and accessable. you could simply prepare a minecraft install with forge and then move the mod's jar file over to your regular instance and launcher it that way from then on, removing the need to use the technic launcher more than once and allowing you to launch the game with the vanilla mojang launcher from then on. you would still be logging into the technic launcher at least once though, so if you truly do not trust it/us that wouldn't be a very workable solution.

"move the mod's jar file over to your regular instance"

that wouldn't be the case.

this guy has his mod in the modpack.jar along with a modded version of a old forge 1.5.2 build.

"move the mod's jar file over to your regular instance"

that wouldn't be the case.

this guy has his mod in the modpack.jar along with a modded version of a old forge 1.5.2 build.

welp. that's really odd and a rather obtuse way of going about it. if it makes you feel any better, OP, this is the first and only mod I've ever heard of doing something like that for distribution.

• 4 months later...

I had almost exactly the same reaction as Exit151 when I saw the requirement for my son's mojang account details - so many thanks for the explanation - it's just a shame that I couldn't find that information in the "About" page (http://www.technicpack.net/technic/about) nor on the privacy policy page (which I did read :o ).

If someone could add a couple of lines to these pages to cover that off explicitly that would probably help a lot - your privacy policy in particular is a fairly stock in trade website privacy policy, so adding a specific comment about not storing the users account details on your servers, and only using them against the Mojang API would probably cover it...

On the FAQ, perhaps add some details too:

Q: Why do you require my Mojang Account Details?

A: Because the Technic Platform builds a custom instance of Minecraft for each ModPack you use, we need to ensure that you have a valid Minecraft product on your account. We do this through Mojang's APIs, and never store your account details on our servers

Edited by Zhaph

• 8 months later...

Zhaph, that's a good suggestion. I'd also add that we cannot launch minecraft without your login details. The Mojang launcher requests your login details, confers with the mojang auth servers, and passes the resulting data to the minecraft executable when launching. We have to do the same or else it won't be possible to play on multiplayer servers, etc. I actually really miss the days when Minecraft had you login within the game itself, it made things much simpler for us.

The main things to understand are:

- We always store a randomly-generated key called the "Mojang Client ID" on your harddrive so that we can use it for all auth attempts. We do this because the first time you log in with a new client ID, Mojang logs you out from all other client IDs, so it would be annoying if we generated a new one each time.

- When you log in, we will send your Mojang Client ID as well as your username and password, to Mojang's servers to auth you. If you have logged in previously and checked "remember me" we will send your Mojang Client ID & Mojang Access Token to Mojang's servers instead.

- If you check "remember me", we store your username and the Mojang Access Token that Mojang gave us after you logged in. We will store them to the hard drive but will NOT store your password. Unless your Mojang Access Token expires, we will continue using your username, client ID, and access token to log you in on subsequent visits. If the access token expires, we will prompt you for your password again, so we can request a new one.

- We will NEVER send your password, Mojang Client ID, or Mojang Access Token to our servers or anyone but Mojang.

- If you choose not to check "remember me", we will not store any data except your Mojang Client ID

- We DO have a Technic Client ID that is generated in the same way as the Mojang Client ID but has nothing to do with your Mojang account. We use it to identify your install and you can give it to a friend who has a Solder-enabled modpack to see hidden builds & be a beta tester. We send your Technic Client ID around to a few different places, it's not really secret.

- In the past, we've also sent your Mojang user's display name to our servers when checking packs. We used this to allow us to give Attack of the B-Team early to people who had donated to Child's Play charity. We like doing stuff like this, so it's probably not gone forever, but it's hard to know the best way to do it.

I hope that answers your questions about how we use your Mojang information. As always, we're open source. We also sign our jars and executables as "Syndicate, LLC" so you can check that individual files actually come from us.

• 2 weeks later...

It ask for your login info because if you dont buy minecraft you cant play it :D Also i dont believe that history of your son, you are a cracked user trying to play mods.

Also any mod can stole your login info so you should view the source code of every mod you intall.

And i hope that you dont thinks that the oficial forums are "minecraftforum" because that forum is only a cheat comunity

And Technick is the best Launcher in the world.

Edited by Endermage93

The login information is required to stop piracy. Also, FML is completely different from Technic. Technic is a modpack platform, FML is a mod API.

It's already bad enough that most mods drag you to malware ridden websites and often try and "trick" you into clicking on the wrong thing

Most mods aren't doing that anymore. Are you sure that you are downloading the mods from the original author? Copyright infringment is sadly very normal in modded Minecraft. In general, using MCF, Curse or NotEnoughMods should be fine. Do not use any sites listed here, as they are stealing mods from the modders, and often adds malware to the mods.