changing item IDs ?

For a while, I've been bothered by incorrect item/block names in NEI (not a bug, but just stuff not properly identified in the 'en_US.lang' file, I believe).  For example: in Natura, the Blaze Hopper from the most recent Tekkit version (1.2.8e at the moment) shows up in-game as 'tile.nether.hopper.name'.  I'm currently in the process of trying to make some additions to the 'en_US.lang' file, because it just keeps bugging me when things don't properly identify in NEI or WAILA.

BUT...  while looking up item IDs in Natura, I came across the Flint and Blaze.  The in-game ID is 12715 (I can 'give' myself that item in Creative) and yet the ID in the config is 12459.  Guess I've never needed to know this before, but how does that happen?  What's going on?

Ultimately, that may not even affect what I'm trying to do, as it appears the .lang files only create 'nicknames' for the underlying block/item identifiers, so IDs aren't important for what I'm trying to do.  I just was completely befuddled that an ID number could change like that.

I might have thought that somehow another mod was automatically correcting an ID conflict, but there appears to be no other item in-game with and ID of 12459...  so there's no reason for it to have been changed.

Am I just losing my mind?