Favorite Quotes?

When you were born, your mother told me, a hush fell over the delivery room. A great red birthmark covered the left side of your face. No one knew what to say, so you cried to fill the vacuum. I always admired you for that; that you cried to fill whatever vacuum you found. I began to manufacture vacuums, just to enable you to deploy your talent. The birthmark faded by the time you were six, and had gone completely by the time we met, but your fascination with the empty, and its cure, remained. Those islands in the distance, I am sure, are nothing more than relics of another time, sleeping giants, somnambulist gods laid down for a final dreaming. I wash the sand from my lips and grip my wrist ever more tightly, my shaking arms will not support my fading diaries. Reading Donnelly by the weak afternoon sunlight. He landed on the south side of the island, followed the path to bay and climbed the mount. He did not find the caves and he did not chart the north side. I think this is why his understanding of the island is flawed, incomplete. He stood on the mount and only wondered momentarily how to descend. But then, he didn’t have my reasons.

-Dear Esther-

“Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.”

- Cort

“A person’s never too old for stories. Man and boy, girl and woman, we live for them.”

- Roland Deschain

I am reading the Dark Tower series right now... It's simply among the most epic books I've read in my life.

"Teach a man to reason and he'll think for a lifetime"

- Phil Plait

"There is a cult of ignorance in US, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.""

- Isaac Asimov

“YOLO"

-Stupid people of Facebook/Twitter

I believe this is one of the greatest ideas to hit the internet in terms of evolution. It accelerates the process of natural selection by slowly killing off the dumb people who use it. An example of the thoughts running through such a person’s mind; “No I shouldn’t, bath salts are dangerous. YOLO”… “That homeless man looks tasty…” That’s probably inappropriate, please don’t take me seriously. I know there are flaws in my theory but I find it amusing.

“YOLO"

-Stupid people of Facebook/Twitter

I believe this is one of the greatest ideas to hit the internet in terms of evolution. It accelerates the process of natural selection by slowly killing off the dumb people who use it. An example of the thoughts running through such a person’s mind; “No I shouldn’t, bath salts are dangerous. YOLO”… “That homeless man looks tasty…” That’s probably inappropriate, please don’t take me seriously. I know there are flaws in my theory but I find it amusing.

"I'm pretty sure YOLO is Carpe Diem for idiots."

Jack Black

Quote of the year.

I don't smoke, I will never smoke, I have no interest in smoking. But for the record, I am not a non-smoker. That's because I don't label myself based on s**t other people do!

- Hal Sparks, on his comedy album Charmageddon.

• 2 weeks later...

"Steal one dollar, and you're a petty thief. Steal one hundred dollars, and you're a criminal. Steal a million dollars, and you're a government." - Terry Pratchett

And,

"In the beginning God created everything, this made a lot of people very angry and is widely considered as a very bad move." - Douglas Adams

• Moderators

It's going to seem idiotic to say this, but I think that at a given moment we all need a place to ourselves where we can refuge ourselves and cut ourselves off from the world.

- Milla Jovovich

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Gerald Ford - Presidential address to a joint session of Congress (12 August 1974)

Along these lines:

"The bureaucracy is expanding, to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy."

"Atheism flies people to the moon, Religion flies people into buildings"

-Unknown-

I always loved that quote, every time I hear it I chuckle because it's so true (imo) (not trying to start a religion thread)

Along these lines:

"The bureaucracy is expanding, to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy."

"The only thing that saves us from the bureaucracy is inefficiency. "

Eugene McCarthy

I think I somehow already used it once in those forums, don't remember when.

"The only thing that saves us from the bureaucracy is inefficiency. "

Eugene McCarthy

"The bureaucracy must expand to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy."

- I think it was some guy who helped out with Lewis and Clark, during the expedition westward in those days.

Also, I like this one:

Stupid is as stupid does.

I have met some pretty awesome mentally disabled people who are a LOT smarter than some "intelligent" people at my school. Not trying to be a hater. :P