Pondering the future of Technic

Lear85

So, it's become obvious that Technic and Tekkit will be vastly different from here onward, for a multitude of reasons. 1.3 completely overhauled the code, and brought about the "unification of smp and ssp" that everyone was on about a while back (I'd bet half of them have no idea what that means). We also learned that ForgeBukkit could be dying, which could break Technic's connection with Bukkit. I'd just like to take a moment to figure out what all could happen from this, and discuss the results.

Because of SMP and SSP being merged, it seems obvious that Tekkit would die, to be replaced with just a multiplayer-Technic. But how would this be hosted? As stated many times before, without Bukkit's involvement, many public servers will be devoid of the essential plugins that maintain... Lack of everything spiraling down to chaos (http://forums.technicpack.net/threads/how-to-start-an-infection.22541). So, we'll be rethinking servers entirely... But I'm stating the obvious here. Any deeper thought on what could branch out from this massive change?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course Tekkit will die, there'll just be Technic. But the Bukkit thing probably won't be much of an issue, as I'm pretty sure Forge will be implementing a Bukkit-style API. Things that could happen eventually: the world could explode. Will it? Likely not, but it could. It's better to base on what is LIKELY to happen, rather than what COULD happen. It would be hosted the same way Tekkit is now, just start up a Technic server and have Technic clients join.

rofl, this whole permission thing gets trotted out constantly. a little overused since i believe all that was sorted? Sorta off-topic, but has mojang sanctioned the mod-makers making money off notch's creation? essentially they are selling their mods by hiding them behind adf.ly links, i am grateful for these packs which bypass that. It totally turns me off from donating to any of these guys since they don't leave you the option.

rofl, this whole permission thing gets trotted out constantly. a little overused since i believe all that was sorted? Sorta off-topic, but has mojang sanctioned the mod-makers making money off notch's creation? essentially they are selling their mods by hiding them behind adf.ly links, i am grateful for these packs which bypass that. It totally turns me off from donating to any of these guys since they don't leave you the option.

They get around this little bit because ad.fly is not providing money for the content. it's providing money for links clicked or files served.

you cannot get the content without clicking the link, hence holding it hostage behind the adf.ly, hence charging for the download, so sorry, your argument is invalid, they are selling the mods using adf.ly as a payment processor

you can't call my argument invalid when you don't understand the logic behind it.

The user is not paying for access to the content.

The developer is being paid to provide the content, through a specific service, by that service.

Your logic states that by clicking on an ad, I'm buying the service to that ad simply because google (or whatever adsense type API they use) pays the site owners for providing traffic. When I watch a commercial on basic TV, am I buying access to that show?

not to mention, I've only seen one or two mods that are strictly adfly links. Most have direct download mirrors.

furthermore, ad.fly doesn't pay them if you have an ablock running. Are they still selling it?

you gotta step up your game, son.

you can't call my argument invalid when you don't understand the logic behind it.

The user is not paying for access to the content.

The developer is being paid to provide the content, through a specific service, by that service.

Your logic states that by clicking on an ad, I'm buying the service to that ad simply because google (or whatever adsense type API they use) pays the site owners for providing traffic. When I watch a commercial on basic TV, am I buying access to that show?

not to mention, I've only seen one or two mods that are strictly adfly links. Most have direct download mirrors.

furthermore, ad.fly doesn't pay them if you have an ablock running. Are they still selling it?

you gotta step up your game, son.

ahh, a shill, haven't seen one of you guys on here in a while, who's your backer?

If you think adfly is the reason the modders hate technic you have a lot to learn. As it has a very minor to near non-existent effect on the matter. Since at most adfy is used to help reduce the costs associated with hosting a mod especially if the mod has a wiki or its own website. But will never over come said costs due to how little it makes. In other words they make zero profit from its use so making money is out of the question.

The real issue at hand is a lack of respect towards the mod makers from the technic devs or at least a perceived one. Where over time the devs have pissed off the modders by not getting permission to use the mods in the pack and/or not even telling the modders about said use. As well as a few comments and other things that they have done in the past that the modders took offense of. Which has painted a very negative picture of the technic devs in the eyes of the modders.

Sorry I just hate all the people who keep tossing around the concept that modders are only after adfly pennies.

It's a joke thrown around, usually in an act to make ourselves appear as stupid as others try to make us out to be. Honestly though, at 2 TB bandwidth a day I'm pretty sure KakerMix & Co are a bit more in the hole than the mod authors.

Back on topic: Time will tell, but I have confidence in its healing abilities. As with any project, there are going to be glorious and ugly moments.

It's a joke thrown around, usually in an act to make ourselves appear as stupid as others try to make us out to be. Honestly though, at 2 TB bandwidth a day I'm pretty sure KakerMix & Co are a bit more in the hole than the mod authors.

Back on topic: Time will tell, but I have confidence in its healing abilities. As with any project, there are going to be glorious and ugly moments.

It's happy that Kaker can fill the hole with his gold-plated yachts.

And anyway, just putting that out there, there's a 1.4.x version of Technic, with LAN and all, so ifyou want to start testing such Server-op -ish stuff, you can go ahead.

• 2 weeks later...

the Technic pack is going no where but up and all the mod makers have not announced they have ended the development of there mods. What I think is that there may be some downtime for some mods but I think that this will only be a temporary inconvenience and that we might be stuck with 1.2.5 for some time still.

the Technic pack is going no where but up and all the mod makers have not announced they have ended the development of there mods. What I think is that there may be some downtime for some mods but I think that this will only be a temporary inconvenience and that we might be stuck with 1.2.5 for some time still.

Actually, there are some Indev versions of technic pack for minecraft 1.4.2