Where the balls is IC2?

Kennu2

Hahaha, then stick with Tekkit Lite or FtB Ultimate or whatever it is then you kids play these days. Look:

- Thermal expansion adds a powered furnace.

- TE machines aren't slower than the basic IC2 machines if you power them properly. There aren't advanced versions or overclockers, but regardless. They also don't cost stacks and stacks of iron, so I'm not sure where you go the impression that TE was significantly more expensive.

- The MPS Gauntlet is not as expensive as you're making it out to be. It works just fine in the same mid-game position as the diamond drill.

- Everyone rushing compact solars sucked and was boring, I wouldn't describe it as "real power".

- You know what other mods solves the problems with BC pipes? Thermal Expansion, with energy conduits and liquiducts, and redstone energy cells. And Applied Energistics with ME networks.

Look, if you're not willing to play any mods except the ones you're already playing, Tekkit Lite and Tekkit Classic and Feed the Beast Ultimate or whatever the hell old shit you were playing still exists. You can still play it. If you're not interested in trying new things, then just don't. But don't sit here and try to pretend that this Tekkit build doesn't have all the same features as the last Tekkit build. It does, and this is the direction Minecraft mods are going, unless you find a way to pull al blaka out of mothballs and clone Eloraam.

Again, why is BC even in here then? That Quarry is nice. But lags to hell on servers and makes those holes of death.

I'm always interested in trying new things. Last server I had a AE -> TE -> IC2 system where it would make the TE version of Ingots and then remake then into IC2. Why because I could! And because the extra resources were helpful. But it was only possible because I had massive amounts of Windmills and HV solars to power the factor and keep up with Energy loss from Tesseract.

Also, Nether Quartz GG =D JUST Saw that in NEI.

And no Wrath Lamps... Those were awesome!!!

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In terms of producing power en mass is there anything currently in the build that will enable the creation of a 2030 EU/t engine as my IC2 Ice-fed Nuclear Reactor does? I understand that that's overkill for alot of situations but its mighty easy having one small reactor room rather then multiple floors of combustion engines to produce even a fraction of that power.

P.S. - I understand that whatever power produced at this point wouldn't be EU/t but I'm too lazy to convert it to MJ/t.

I apologize for spending so much more time with NightFire, when it's pretty clear that you've got legitimate concerns and he's just chewing scenery. Here's the deal:

1. Ice-fed nuke reactors haven't even existed in IC2 in a long-ass while, and neither have 2k EU/t nuke reactors. Modern nuke reactors in IC2 require redstone and other materials to keep going for like 300 EU/t. You can get a self-sufficient nuke reactor that pulls about 80 EU/t. So go ahead and temper your expectations first and foremost.

2. The other thing to keep in mind is that there's not any high-end reactors for BC, but there's also not any high-end power sinks. I've seen a small room full of 10-12 magmatics and a couple redstone energy cells provide all the power someone could ever use. It's possible to build fairly compact (and cool looking!) generator setups, but yeah they're gonna be multiblock. And I kinda like that.

And like I said, we ARE on the hunt for more cool generators. This isn't a closed book, we'll have more stuff. It just won't be IC2 stuff.

Again, why is BC even in here then? That Quarry is nice. But lags to hell on servers and makes those holes of death.

Lots of reasons: it provides low level alternatives for TE, the oil it has can be used in galacticraft and I like geysers instead of random oil-filled caves (which is what GCraft's world gen creates), it has the only TE-compatible pump that I'm aware of, etc. I'm not a superfan of BC, but it provides some necessary support for TE, so it's in. I also like Logistics Pipes as an item routing alternative to AE (it'll go in as soon as those guys have a version come out), and that demands BC.

I'm always interested in trying new things. Last server I had a AE -> TE -> IC2 system where it would make the TE version of Ingots and then remake then into IC2. Why because I could! And because the extra resources were helpful. But it was only possible because I had massive amounts of Windmills and HV solars to power the factor and keep up with Energy loss from Tesseract.

The energy loss from a tesseract is a flat 25%, it's not all that much. The reason you needed all that power gen is because IC2 draws a lot of power. You can run a bank of 8 pulverizers off 4 magmatics or 3 combustion engines, or a single MFR biofuel generator. Factor a 25% loss rate and it doesn't exactly go up by much. This is a great illustration of something I've been saying for awhile: IC2's biggest skill is at solving problems created by IC2.

It's possible to build fairly compact (and cool looking!) generator setups, but yeah they're gonna be multiblock. And I kinda like that.

Compact?

Pfft. I want massive V12's EVERYWHERE.

I'm not being sarcastic, or anything. I really do want massive V12 set-ups all over my base.

And no Wrath Lamps... Those were awesome!!!

Fun fact: I actually ported the unpowered floodlights from Greg's Lighting to 1.5.1 to be released in Tekkit, but last night during testing we found a pre-existing world corrupting bug in GL and had to pull it from the pack. I'm going to diagnose it soon and it'll go back in as a wrath lamp alternative.

Yeah, IC2 was basically "Get compact solars and shit". You now have to actually utilize other mods. There's a reason why these mods are in a pack: They work okay individually, but they work great when put together.

I wouldn't just get Solars. They were expensive as hell to get and didn't convert very well to MJ. So Is till had those Engine Factories.

Just now I don't have a decent place to store the energy.

Fun fact: I actually ported the unpowered floodlights from Greg's Lighting to 1.5.1 to be released in Tekkit, but last night during testing we found a pre-existing world corrupting bug in GL and had to pull it from the pack. I'm going to diagnose it soon and it'll go back in as a wrath lamp alternative.

Sounds good! Hope it goes well!

Hm, for now I guess use lamps? Haven't checked if those were in.

100k MJ isn't really much... Thats maybe half a set of machienes?

I build a lot of machienes... I'm gonna have to build a lot less now..

There's a couple lighting things in, but for my money, the best one is the glowstone illuminator. It's attractive, bright, has different modes (regular, inverted, I think it has some dim modes) you can switch between with a wrench, and you can use dyes on it to change its colors.

It sounds like people should be mad at IC2 for letting their mod decay. It is unfortunate, because IC2 is what really drew me to Tekkit to begin with.

That said I've got a Tekkit server up and running. It nuked a lot of stuff in my Lite world, so I'll be waiting for a convertor to try it again. Also I'll stick with Lite for now, until Tekkit has a bit more support (forum wise) and more expertise.

I really am pumped for galactic craft, and the new factory based mods sound awesome. Given the sheer amount of effort I've put into my factory and underground lab, I'm in no real rush to convert until I know how and that I can.

Once again thanks Technic team for your efforts!

PS: I do hope RD2 get's their act together and can be readded at a later date.

2d

BC gives a lot of low-level and basic stuff that's necessary. Engines and pipes come to mind.

I wouldn't just get Solars. They were expensive as hell to get and didn't convert very well to MJ. So Is till had those Engine Factories.

Just now I don't have a decent place to store the energy.

Redstone Energy Cells can store MJ's. Just make multiple of them and link them together. Particularly huge setups can benefit from Tesseracts.

BC gives a lot of low-level and basic stuff that's necessary. Engines and pipes come to mind.

Redstone Energy Cells can store MJ's. Just make multiple of them and link them together. Particularly huge setups can benefit from Tesseracts.

Yeah gonna make at least 30...

Know what.. This opens up new areas for a home. An engine room, a Storage room, and a CRAP TON of tesseracts to transfer power, liquids and items everywhere.

Just gonna place the mechs next to each other and let them handle the sending...

For long distances too- conduits have a flat 5% loss on transport regardless of distance. Basically if it's in your home there's no reason not to use conduits.

Yeah gonna make at least 30...

Know what.. This opens up new areas for a home. An engine room, a Storage room, and a CRAP TON of tesseracts to transfer power, liquids and items everywhere.

Just gonna place the mechs next to each other and let them handle the sending...

That's the spirit! Embrace the multiblock insanity.

For long distances too- conduits have a flat 5% loss on transport regardless of distance. Basically if it's in your home there's no reason not to use conduits.

That's the spirit! Embrace the multiblock insanity.

Exactly!!

Just need the server I'm on to get some land protections, else I'm stuck in my little hidy hole.

I just hope some guides will be made soon. I'm relatively new to Technic in general - only started using Tekkit Lite a few weeks ago - and I freely admit that I relied on IC2 a lolt. Now that it's gone, I'm at a bit of a loss of what to do in starting a new world. I'm no genius, and figuring things out for myself only gets me so far. Even with a guide to follow, I had to restart one of my worlds after screwing up my first base (In Tekkit Lite, that is).

So yeah. I'm willing to learn and use the new pack, although I hope it won't be all on my own. There's a LOT to absorb, especially for a non Technic-vet.

I was pretty pissed at first when i saw that IC2 and Redpower were gone from the mod list, but when i saw that it had TE, AE, and MFR, i got excited. I've never messed with any of them, because redpower and IC2 took there place, but now i have good incentive to play around with them and they look really cool. Give them a shot if you haven't, being resistant to change means that when we have flying cars in the future, you will still use your cheap ground based one.(Resistant to any change, not just in mods)

hmm, personally, I'm really sad about IC2 and RP2, they were old but they were the base of my operations, sure compact solars were expensive, but nothing can beat the 512 EU/t and the 10 mil EU storage in my book. I was mostly excited about galacticraft and AE, but I can live without galacticraft if that means transfering to Tekkit lite, where I can utilize IC2 machines in my builds. I know they are old, but they are good too. TE isn't as powerfull as IC2 or RP2, it's an OK mod, but has plenty of work to be done there. For now, ComputerCraft doesn't work either, that too is a big minus for me.

Let me be 100% clear here: IC2 is not going back in after it comes out. Period. We didn't pull it because we wanted to release quickly, we pulled it because we're done with it. To a certain extent, the same is true of RP2, although we'd probably still be running RP2 if Eloraam was developing timely releases. She doesn't though, and now we're done with RP2. It's not going back in.

Obviously, energy storage exists in the form of redstone energy cells. There are also a lot of great ways of producing power in mass: the two current favorites are nether-magmatics and MFR biofuel. I've been tempting the gods by using combustion engines at their full 10 MJ/t. I understand that people aren't happy with the generator selection right now, and we're taking a lot at some good BC-compatible mods that add generators for future releases, but this idea kicking around that IC2 is the only industrial mod worth using, or is even a particularly good industrial mod is insane. It's an archaic jalopy that a week from Monday will have gone 6 months without a single public release. Even GregT of GregTech is looking at changing power systems because it's pretty apparent at this point that IC2 is dead. We're not going to include it and very shortly no one else will either.

Jalopy. Saving that in my mental dictionary!

What I miss:

Redpower frames

IC2 power gen

IC2 endgame equipment. (Quant [forgot about MPS], mining laser mainly)

What I love:

AE (Completely replaces and surpasses redpower tubes)

TE (Completely replaces and surpasses processing mashines)

Galacti craft (A brave new world and a universe to conquer)

Lots of mods I have never gotten into

1.5.1 > 1.4.7

Moddular Power suits

The fact that I am now forced into change has lead me into finding new mods that makes it so much better! Sure there are things to be desired but on the whole it's a vast improvement!

Not to sound like a hater or whiner, but RP2 was much, much more than just an alternative to buildcraft pipes. Does this contain anything that even approaches the functionality of red alloy wire? Bundled cables? Frames? Logic gates? I get why you dropped IC2 in light of the other mods more or less replacing a lot of the functionality, but RP2 is still the gold standard for redstone wiring and moving placed blocks.

• Forum Administrators

Not to sound like a hater or whiner, but RP2 was much, much more than just an alternative to buildcraft pipes. Does this contain anything that even approaches the functionality of red alloy wire? Bundled cables? Frames? Logic gates? I get why you dropped IC2 in light of the other mods more or less replacing a lot of the functionality, but RP2 is still the gold standard for redstone wiring and moving placed blocks.

MFR replaces red alloy wire, bundled cables and logicgates.

As of right now there is no replacement for frames.

efb