Where the balls is IC2?

Kennu2

Ah. My apologies. All of the documentation I had seen on MFR to date completely omitted the rednet part to focus on the forestry replacements. You had me worried that we were going back to the bad old days of vanilla redstone dust stairways.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me be 100% clear here: IC2 is not going back in after it comes out. Period. We didn't pull it because we wanted to release quickly, we pulled it because we're done with it. To a certain extent, the same is true of RP2, although we'd probably still be running RP2 if Eloraam was developing timely releases. She doesn't though, and now we're done with RP2. It's not going back in.

Obviously, energy storage exists in the form of redstone energy cells. There are also a lot of great ways of producing power in mass: the two current favorites are nether-magmatics and MFR biofuel. I've been tempting the gods by using combustion engines at their full 10 MJ/t. I understand that people aren't happy with the generator selection right now, and we're taking a lot at some good BC-compatible mods that add generators for future releases, but this idea kicking around that IC2 is the only industrial mod worth using, or is even a particularly good industrial mod is insane. It's an archaic jalopy that a week from Monday will have gone 6 months without a single public release. Even GregT of GregTech is looking at changing power systems because it's pretty apparent at this point that IC2 is dead. We're not going to include it and very shortly no one else will either.

I would agree that IC2 is hurting at this point for a real release... BC has kicked around as long as IC and it's really no more interesting at this point but you gotta base things on something.

RP2 is the real sad case, it is a spectacular mod and it does item transport right (I would argue liquiducts/redpower conduits do liquid/bc energy right)... my biggest concern with the current tekkit release is... it's just boring. Galacticraft adds little... and we've been using ME and factorization on our servers for quite a while. Tekkit in its current form feels like a cut down version of ftb with less to do. Maybe i'm just fried on minecraft-techmods at this point or something.

Tekkit classic really was the epitome of perfect tech modpacks. Haven't played any that played as well prior or since. Hohum.

I would agree that IC2 is hurting at this point for a real release... BC has kicked around as long as IC and it's really no more interesting at this point but you gotta base things on something.

RP2 is the real sad case, it is a spectacular mod and it does item transport right (I would argue liquiducts/redpower conduits do liquid/bc energy right)... my biggest concern with the current tekkit release is... it's just boring. Galacticraft adds little... and we've been using ME and factorization on our servers for quite a while. Tekkit in its current form feels like a cut down version of ftb with less to do. Maybe i'm just fried on minecraft-techmods at this point or something.

Tekkit classic really was the epitome of perfect tech modpacks. Haven't played any that played as well prior or since. Hohum.

While the new Tekkit is fun in my opinion, I have to agree that nothing beats Classic.

I completely understand and support the loss of IC2 and RP2. I will miss frames and, in particular, I will miss energy storage that sends a redstone signal when full. I liked that functionality in the IC2 energy storage blocks. Redstone Energy Cells would be absolutely amazing if only they could be configured to do that (I like to have a signal to shut off my engine room when necessary).

Yeah i don't really even know. IC2 is (kinda') updated to 1.5.1. It is just a beta version and it works fine. I can post the link here if you guys want it.

there's tons of bugs in it. Maybe the tekkit compliers could make a beta release of tekkit with ic2 in it (hint hint).

Question - with IC2 gone, is there any way to macerate ores other than the Grind box that AE provides? It's easy to get, aye, but I'd much prefer a more automatic method if there is one (which would obviously be harder to acquire).

Question - with IC2 gone, is there any way to macerate ores other than the Grind box that AE provides? It's easy to get, aye, but I'd much prefer a more automatic method if there is one (which would obviously be harder to acquire).

Thermal Expansion's pulverizer will cover your needs. It even has a few features that will help with automation (i.e. it automatically outputs products and you can choose which sides on the machine go with which slots in the GUI).

Thermal Expansion's pulverizer will cover your needs. It even has a few features that will help with automation (i.e. it automatically outputs products and you can choose which sides on the machine go with which slots in the GUI).

Sweet, thanks. I've not gotten to looking at much of what TE has to offer, but I'll definitely be doing so now that I returned with a backpack full of ore.

For anyone who hasn't tried TE, give it a shot. ;) Yes, there's more on the way. Upgrades, new generation, new machines, new storage, powered tools and armor, and some other things.

For anyone who thinks TE is "too slow", congratulations, you are a caveman and are completely missing the point of a tech mod. A Pulverizer keeps up with a Quarry. For some reason people feel that a single Pulverizer should keep up with 47 Quarries.

Do you sit and stare at your machines and wait to manually pull ores out? Oh what's that, you don't? So why is it such an imperative for your machine to process instantly and then sit idle 90% of the time?

Being honest, I was a little mad that IC2 and RP2 would be pulled. But then I looked at the rest of the mod list, and I think that pulling IC2 was for the best. It forces us to be more creative, figure out new ways to do things. Plus, Logistics Pipes (Soon) AND Applied Energistics? Holy cow!

I think the sentiment expressed when we see people complain that IC2 has been removed from Tekkit is confused. I think those people actually mean to complain that IC2 has been all but abandoned by its author. I have no doubt that IC2 would be essential in any pack if IC2 authors updated IC2 and made genuine efforts to remove long-standing bugs and improve the product. Sadly, IC2 has stagnated from neglect and RP2 updates are unreliable (and perhaps non-existant). Understandably, mod packs will move forward without those mods.

One door closes, another opens. With two of my most favorite mods IC2 and RP2 dying a slow death, there is new fertile ground for modders to fill the void by replacing and improving upon what was lost. Just because one mod makes a drill, jetpack, block breaker, or relay does not mean another mod cannot make a block with that functionality. Redundancy is good for gamers. Competition is good for mod development. I have no doubt we are about to see an explosion of new mod content in the coming months.

PS - I am actually more troubled by the absence of Railcraft and Power Converters than I am by IC2 and RP2. (36H boiler > liquid tesseract > steam consumer > bridge > buildcraft (or other) producer > energy tesseract = all the power you could want and more)

PS - I am actually more troubled by the absence of Railcraft and Power Converters than I am by IC2 and RP2. (36H boiler > liquid tesseract > steam consumer > bridge > buildcraft (or other) producer > energy tesseract = all the power you could want and more)

With the absence of Railcraft, IC2, and RP2, there really is no reason to include power converters.

Only thing I really miss are frames. Those were great. Other than that though, everything has a replacement, and in many cases a better replacement. Although the lack of early power storage bugs me. Battery boxes were starting tier blocks, redstone energy cells are mid tier. Hopefully a mod adds in something to cover that gap. MFR is great though and between it and TE pretty much every possibility from mid tier on is covered great. Its sad to see an old friend like ic2 go, but when the friend starts rotting in the middle of your floor and won't clean himself up, he has to go.

i saw that Modular Powersuits were included, how do we charge them? I thought they could only be charged with an HV power supply from IC2(MFSU, HV charging unit, etc). Does the charge functionality disappear without IC2 installed? i haven't tried messing with them, im still trying to wrap my head around how to setup a stable power supply that doesnt include mass amounts of redstone engines...or whacking a magmatic every minute cause it seized.

Edit: i take that back, apparently theres an Energetic Infuser that should do it...It seems to be from Thermal Expansion, but isn't listed on their wiki(http://thermalexpansion.wikispaces.com)

i saw that Modular Powersuits were included, how do we charge them?

Use an Energetic Infuser from TE.

a stable power supply that doesnt include mass amounts of redstone engines...or whacking a magmatic every minute cause it seized.

The magmatic engines shouldn't overheat unless they're not powering anything, at least in my experience; my current power supply is a series of magmatic engines feeding power to a conduit system to an energy cell storage network and an array of magma crucibles dedicated to producing lava with the excess energy to refuel the magmatics.

For anyone who hasn't tried TE, give it a shot. ;) Yes, there's more on the way. Upgrades, new generation, new machines, new storage, powered tools and armor, and some other things.

For anyone who thinks TE is "too slow", congratulations, you are a caveman and are completely missing the point of a tech mod. A Pulverizer keeps up with a Quarry. For some reason people feel that a single Pulverizer should keep up with 47 Quarries.

Do you sit and stare at your machines and wait to manually pull ores out? Oh what's that, you don't? So why is it such an imperative for your machine to process instantly and then sit idle 90% of the time?

TE is awesome and I personally love it. The only reason I say it's a little slow is just because we're used to be able to go at light speed and have one macorator keep up with 47 quarrys. There is nothing wrong with the machines, its just an adjustment we have to make still.

Also I am thrilled to hear more power gen coming! I think that that is the only sore spot of MC right now and needs some more options :)

TE is awesome and I personally love it. The only reason I say it's a little slow is just because we're used to be able to go at light speed and have one macorator keep up with 47 quarrys. There is nothing wrong with the machines, its just an adjustment we have to make still.

Also I am thrilled to hear more power gen coming! I think that that is the only sore spot of MC right now and needs some more options :)

For fully-automated systems, sure. However, I often liked to have a separate 'workshop' space above and beyond the automated processing, with fully-overclocked machines so that I didn't have to wait when doing one-off projects that need specialized processing. So, they were not purely 'unneeded', and a replacement system would be nice.

Just my input here, didn't bother to read the entire comment section but it seems to be that people are just scared of change. They don't want to learn anything new because IC2 is really easy. Just one mans thoughts.

A bunch of 'magmatic engines' and a few 'magma crucibles' will provide plenty of energy, store it in a series of 'redstone energy cells' and you're good to go!

A few trips to the nether might be nessessary though, simply to be able to feed the crucibles with netherrack from time to time..

BioFuel might also be interesting, once some farm's are ready to supply the resources needed..

Let me be 100% clear here: IC2 is not going back in after it comes out. Period. We didn't pull it because we wanted to release quickly, we pulled it because we're done with it. To a certain extent, the same is true of RP2, although we'd probably still be running RP2 if Eloraam was developing timely releases. She doesn't though, and now we're done with RP2. It's not going back in.

Obviously, energy storage exists in the form of redstone energy cells. There are also a lot of great ways of producing power in mass: the two current favorites are nether-magmatics and MFR biofuel. I've been tempting the gods by using combustion engines at their full 10 MJ/t. I understand that people aren't happy with the generator selection right now, and we're taking a lot at some good BC-compatible mods that add generators for future releases, but this idea kicking around that IC2 is the only industrial mod worth using, or is even a particularly good industrial mod is insane. It's an archaic jalopy that a week from Monday will have gone 6 months without a single public release. Even GregT of GregTech is looking at changing power systems because it's pretty apparent at this point that IC2 is dead. We're not going to include it and very shortly no one else will either.

Some people are not ready for change....honestly the more i play the new tekkit, i like it. it takes some getting used to from older tekkit, but hell its a video game....This is minecraft design your own game and quit bitchin.

Props CanVox

Bio Fuel is pretty good. Still haven't figured out how to have one Bio Reactor output to multiple BioFuel Producers, though.

Also, they could use some more item acceptance. All they accept currently is saplings and seeds. No sugar cane, no leaves. So to get max efficiency, you'll need 4 different types of saplings and seeds.

And once Greg's Lighting is in, I think we'll have another alternative for RP2 lighting.

One thing I do miss about IC2 though, is the little things like being able to make snow, ice and dirt yourself.

Bio Fuel is pretty good. Still haven't figured out how to have one Bio Reactor output to multiple BioFuel Producers, though.

Also, they could use some more item acceptance. All they accept currently is saplings and seeds. No sugar cane, no leaves. So to get max efficiency, you'll need 4 different types of saplings and seeds.

And once Greg's Lighting is in, I think we'll have another alternative for RP2 lighting.

One thing I do miss about IC2 though, is the little things like being able to make snow, ice and dirt yourself.

You should check out TE's Glacial Precipitator, it allows you to make snow and ice, as for dirt... Hmm... I can only suggest a quarry at a high Y level.