Why not give idiots what they apparently need?

LazDude2012

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The idea that there is not a wealth of skilled programmers working on modding is ignorant and imbecilic. I don't know whether you think that somehow playing computer games is beneath intelligent people (which is insulting to those people, at the very least), or whether you think that skilled programmers are some sort of mystic beast not to be found amongst we the rabble.

Are you referring to me?

I'm sure that isn't helping.

The egos and such are largly fueled by the current trends of 'Anti-Entitlement' spawned by idiots, 'Copyright' spawned by curse, and 'pennys' spawned by ad.fly.

Throw in a couple of bad seeds such as Flower Child and Sanguir, and you have a drama fest. A drama fest that would normaly die, but the actual comminity behind it is busy sproating on about those 3 things so instead of going /under/ after /putting malicious code/ into a mod, they're cheered on and it gets worse.

It's..... quite possably the most toxic enviroment ever. I'd be reluctant to partake myself (if I had enough time to do so).

The problem with human emotions is they don't scale. In any similar grouping of people, you will have approximately X% of a group that likes a certain action, which in a normal environment (before the Internet) might be only 0-1 people, and a person would get a clear indication of "this is not socially acceptable".

On the Internet, however, when you suddenly involve huge numbers of people, that X% can suddenly be hundreds of people. It no longer feels like "only X% of people like what I did, and that's really bad", but it feels like "damn, there are hundreds of people who like that, that's great".

There is no correlation between size of mod and ego/emo density of modder: The bigger ones are just more visible. The ratio between "I make a mod and I think you should use it" and "sparklefarts r mine i sue u lol" is fairly evenly-distributed.

I can assure you, plenty of picayune little kids who have implemented yet another ore-doubling furnace block think they are the gods' gift to Minecraft modding, and tell you so at every opportunity.

Ore doubling furnace? I've seen schmucks with another "obsidian tools, lol infinite uses/twice as fast as diamond" or "this mod adds 2 ores, but they don't do anything" mods with incredibly restrictive "license" text.

If I wanted ores that don't do anything, I'd play vanilla; Even Notch managed that one.

Heheh, is that the emerald one? (Or gold, it's fucking useless..)

Even the people who make "dirt to diamonds" (like this search came up with) think they're gods, even though their thread looks like total crap (this.) and "you can make diamond tools out of dirt!"

I don't even know the word for this kind of activity, but it seems horrible.

(And for the final touch, a crap thread.)

Heheh, is that the emerald one? (Or gold, it's fucking useless..)

Even the people who make "dirt to diamonds" (like this search came up with) think they're gods, even though their thread looks like total crap (this.) and "you can make diamond tools out of dirt!"

I don't even know the word for this kind of activity, but it seems horrible.

(And for the final touch, a crap thread.)

To be fair, almost any link to the MCForums will be a "crap thread"

To be fair, almost any link to the MCForums will be a "crap thread"

I've said it before, I'll say it again. At best the MC Forums are a poorly run piece of shit. At worst they can cause you to consider suicide.

Also, the hatred in them is so thick you could cut it with a SPOON!

I don't mind having a good chuckle in the Mod Requests section.

There seems to be a fad of paying modders, but retaining all the rights, ideas, assests, and distribution of the mod.

That's just fucking retarded.

That statement was also not entirely PC, apologies are in order.

Also, some dickwad is impersonating me over there.

Anyone feel like helping me get a rat onto his system so I can have that account for myself?

There seems to be a fad of paying modders, but retaining all the rights, ideas, assests, and distribution of the mod.

Why is that unusual? That's how every non-indie game works: The publisher owns it, and pays the developer to make it. It's a system of commission.

Why is that unusual? That's how every non-indie game works: The publisher owns it, and pays the developer to make it. It's a system of commission.

That seems utterly backwards to me in a modding environment. Considering that most of the requests come from kids who have no idea whether what they ask for is even feasible.

Except these kids are very thorough in making clear that they own everything this modder does for them.

Like the modder's going to bitch them out and steal their ad.fly pennies.

(I am well aware of the system in the flesh, being a musician available for commission)