What was the best childhood game for you?

MrFly

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Bionic Commando, that game drew me INSANE! But I kept playing it over and over again. Back then, there was no "memory card" for spoiled kids that couldn't handle a little challenge. So if you lost, you lost.

I just watched this speed-run, and wanted to scream obscenities at the gamer. HE JUMPED OVER SEVERAL AREAS!!!! (and advanced further into the game then I ever did :( )

I guess I was young when I played Morrowind too. That game was great. I want to go back to it someday with all the graphic overhaul mods.

They did a complete overhaul in the Skyrim engine, plus, it sounds like the next Skyrim DLC may be set there, or at least Soltheim Island.

They did a complete overhaul in the Skyrim engine, plus, it sounds like the next Skyrim DLC may be set there, or at least Soltheim Island.

Wouldn't Skyrim happening in Morrowind kind of... Defeat the purpose?

Talking about graphic overhauls, I've just tried Mount and Blade Warband with a graphical mod, and it's baffling. Modding really is amazing.

That's just it though, DLC can be set anywhere. There already is the huge racial tension with the Dark Elves being in Skyrim in the first place since Vvardenfell erupted. I'm not going to keep this going off topic though. Come with me, to the Kitty Jail...

imho it was more eyecandy than anything else :( notice how the dragon warrior / dragon quest has never changed their style, thats the way FF should have stayed, but it became a money pit and an interactive movie, more than an RPG style game(again, just my opinion)

But it went up with a swing with 7

I disagree. The best parts about it were superficial. The graphics (at the time) and the music were both 10/10 but the story, gameplay, writing, and immersion were all average at best. A much better experience would have been FFX (which i already like) with the soundtrack replaced with the FF7 soundtrack.

Another game i played a lot when i was a kid was Sonic & Knuckles with Sonic 2 in the fliptop cartridge.

• Moderators

I disagree. The best parts about it were superficial. The graphics (at the time) and the music were both 10/10 but the story, gameplay, writing, and immersion were all average at best. A much better experience would have been FFX (which i already like) with the soundtrack replaced with the FF7 soundtrack.

AVERAGE??

I wouldn't say that 7 had the best graphics, most to blame was the psx limitation, but it was good back then. And yea, the music was great. I have a few of them on my Zen.

Gameplay was fun, but I thought it lacked gamers interaction. Mostly you could just glue down the "O" button (accept) and the characters would simply attack and win any enemy there was. Except a few bosses, of course.

BUT the story!

The story made all that a minor thing. It was the story that gave the game its soul!

The super soldier theme, the way that Shinra corrupted the entire world for domination with Mako. Barrets anger with the destruction of his hometown and his oath to break Shinra. Yuffie's futile attempts to raise her country from the sink of defeat. Vincent's lamentation in the basement, where he hoped for naught but his own death.

Sephiroth realising his true origins, and razing everything in his rage. And of course the emo Cloud and Tifa, the couple that could never be a couple.

All these ingredients is what blew life in 7. It wasn't the graphics, any future game can beat that. Not the gameplay, lets be fair, it wasn't the best. Music? There can always be new music that others like.

No, it was the story. The backgrounds around these characters is what was amazing in this game.

And I bet every gamer played a part in their own minds with the characters backstory. Feeling their hope, anger and sorrow.

Who hasn't had their dreams crushed, just like Cid?

Who hasn't had thoughts of suicide, after failing the ones you love, like Vincent?

Who hasn't had a family member leave forever, to never know the intentions, like Red XII?

/dramafanrant ends

Phew... had to get this outta my chest.

To be fair, Jay, you know way more about the franchise than I do. I can't say that 7 was better than its predecessors. But its future versions, 8 9 10 and so forth?

7 still stands as the best, storywise