Disable MV and HV solar panels

W

• Forum Administrators

People are just going to build tons of LV solar arrays? If you are going to allow LV I don't see why you would disable the higher tiers?

People are just going to build tons of LV solar arrays? If you are going to allow LV I don't see why you would disable the higher tiers?

Very simple. 8EU/block is not as overpowered as 512EU/block. Regular solar panels takes up too much space/EU and MV solar arrays gives too much EU/space.

In the config file of the mod is a setting to decrease the amount of energy they output. this could be interesting if you want to encourage other ways of power generation

It could be interesting. I just don't have much time to fiddle that much :P

• Forum Administrators

Very simple. 8EU/block is not as overpowered as 512EU/block. Regular solar panels takes up too much space/EU and MV solar arrays gives too much EU/space.

So you would prefer hundreds of solar panels all over the place? That's ridiculous. All the compact solars do is shrink down the size. It costs the same either way.

Small solar panels are overpowered, if you are trying to hide a base underground. You can just build a shaft deep down, and cover it on the top with two half slabs, or with leaves. Done correctly, it can be very difficult to spot.

If only normal and LV panels are allowed, it forces people to consider waterwheels instead if they want quiet hidden power.

I don't know the original poster's intentions, but this could be it. There was a very heated debate a while ago on these forums about whether they are overpowered or not.

Personally, I think all solar is a bit overpowered. Even if EE is disabled, you can convert tin to iron using RP2 alloy furnaces, and turn UU matter to coal, allowing you to build giant arrays without much mining. I remember spending hours and hours building a reinforced bunker for my nuclear, and then realizing later that everyone else on the server was just building solar. Nuclear stops being useful when you run out of Uranium, but solar panels produce a steady stream of current forever.

Plus excessive use of too many solar panels is linked to all sorts of nasty things, like poor server performance and lag. So having the higher tier solar arrays is very good for the health and well being of your server.

Also have you ever made a HV solar array the hard way? It takes a insane amount of resources to make the 512 solar panels that are needed plus the transformers to a lessor extent.

Small solar panels are overpowered, if you are trying to hide a base underground. You can just build a shaft deep down, and cover it on the top with two half slabs, or with leaves. Done correctly, it can be very difficult to spot.

If only normal and LV panels are allowed, it forces people to consider waterwheels instead if they want quiet hidden power.

I don't know the original poster's intentions, but this could be it. There was a very heated debate a while ago on these forums about whether they are overpowered or not.

Personally, I think all solar is a bit overpowered. Even if EE is disabled, you can convert tin to iron using RP2 alloy furnaces, and turn UU matter to coal, allowing you to build giant arrays without much mining. I remember spending hours and hours building a reinforced bunker for my nuclear, and then realizing later that everyone else on the server was just building solar. Nuclear stops being useful when you run out of Uranium, but solar panels produce a steady stream of current forever.

Tin buckets can be disabled via the server's IC2 config. This seems like a less extreme option than completely two useful blocks.

As far as the UU matter translation stuff, I can't even comprehend the player escalation levels required to get to that point (esp without EE). You need several metric fuck-tons of copper, rubber, iron, glass, etc to just make a single HV block. How fast can people (semi-safely) crank out UU mater? Are you just running 50 cobble generators into a recycler to get the needed scrap?

This doesn't really make sense. Are you just ignoring the material cost associated with these objects?

The cost of a MV solar array is (pretty much) the same as 512 solar panels. Making LV, MV and HV solars the ultimate choice for _everybody_ with solar panels.

So you would prefer hundreds of solar panels all over the place? That's ridiculous. All the compact solars do is shrink down the size. It costs the same either way.

Why is it ridiculous? This is how it is done in the real world. Yes, indeed, they shrink down the size. Immensely.

The solar panels are designed to be a cheap way to produce renewable energy with two drawbacks: they only produce EU during the day and they take up a tons of space when dealt with in large numbers (leading to more resources put into cables). I don't want to see ONE small little box embedded in the roof of some forest-hut producing more energy than my 3 nuclear reactors. I want to see a big array (a real one) of panels, like it is done in the real world. Now, i believe the standard solar panels takes up a little too much space, making LV solar arrays the excellent choice for me.

You wanna make solar power the only source of energy to your jungle-cabin? Fine, but you better have your backyard filled with them or they are not going to help you.

phoenix-first-solar-panels-photo2536.jpg300px-Solar_panels_in_Ogiinuur.jpg

Small solar panels are overpowered, if you are trying to hide a base underground.

You are presenting reasons for MV and HV solars being overpowered in a competitive PVP scenario. What you are saying makes a lot of sense but it is not the real reason to why i don't want to include the MV and HV solar arrays (see text above).

Plus excessive use of too many solar panels is linked to all sorts of nasty things, like poor server performance and lag. So having the higher tier solar arrays is very good for the health and well being of your server.

Also have you ever made a HV solar array the hard way? It takes a insane amount of resources to make the 512 solar panels that are needed plus the transformers to a lessor extent.

The whole server-performance thing is correct but i don't think greedyness with computerpower shall ruin the gameplay of a server.

I don't really see how the argument fits. It requires (as said) almost exactly as much as 512 solar panels. Either you get 512 solar panels in 512 blocks + the cost of so much cable OR you get a 1-block-ultrahandy-energy-producer which takes a second to remove and a second to place.

Also:

If anybody want to point me in the right direction of disabling recipes for mod-blocks, please do. I couldn't get RecipeManager to remove the recipes.

The solar panels are designed to be a cheap way to produce renewable energy with two drawbacks: they only produce EU at night and they take up a tons of space when dealt with in large numbers (leading to more resources put into cables). ...

What kind of magical solar panels are you using?

If you're looking for people to have large solar farms, just remove compact solars. However, be advised your server will eat more resources when it has to process the information for the transfer of energy from the hundreds or thousands of solar panels people decide to deploy.

If you're going to use the argument that you want people to have to use the space to get their juice, don't leave LV panels in either.

Everyone does have good points here, and honestly the first thing I thought was "why?" but lets take a step back here. Ignore his huge post argument about why it makes sense and blah blah...

He wants to remove MV and HV solars but leave LV in. Why? Because it is his server and that is what will make it more fun for him. Makes much more sense now!

I would just like to add: Oh please for the love of all that's holy and pure (or atleast cheese flavored) do NOT try to justify any opinions base on The Real World.

If minecraft were more realistic then sticking 1m^2 of photovoltaics at the end of a 250 meter tube pointed straight up would produce 50% average output for maybe 8 hours a year, not 100% output for exactly 12 hours a day (barring inclement weather).

What kind of magical solar panels are you using?

If you're looking for people to have large solar farms, just remove compact solars. However, be advised your server will eat more resources when it has to process the information for the transfer of energy from the hundreds or thousands of solar panels people decide to deploy.

If you're going to use the argument that you want people to have to use the space to get their juice, don't leave LV panels in either.

I don't want to remove all of the compact solars. I want to keep the LV because i think they are good. You can fill your roof with them and get a decent amount of EU; Perfect.

I would just like to add: Oh please for the love of all that's holy and pure (or atleast cheese flavored) do NOT try to justify any opinions base on The Real World.

If minecraft were more realistic then sticking 1m^2 of photovoltaics at the end of a 250 meter tube pointed straight up would produce 50% average output for maybe 8 hours a year, not 100% output for exactly 12 hours a day (barring inclement weather).

I really don't want to dive into the comparing-with-real-world discussion.

The reason a lot of people treat you like you're stupid (Which I'm not going to deny) is because we have told you multiple times how to disable it. Simply disable crafting those things with RecipeManager or DisableCraft. If you don't want that, then fine. Someone was even nice enough to give you a link to Disablecraft. It's either that or disabling Compact Solars altogether.

The reason a lot of people treat you like you're stupid (Which I'm not going to deny) is because we have told you multiple times how to disable it. Simply disable crafting those things with RecipeManager or DisableCraft. If you don't want that, then fine. Someone was even nice enough to give you a link to Disablecraft. It's either that or disabling Compact Solars altogether.

What a stupid comment. If you read one of my previous posts, you will see that i couldn't get RecipeManager to disable blocks from mods. I therefore asked for a punch in the right direction (guide, tutorial, another mod, etc.) and i have only been "justifying" my choice of removing the MV and HV recipes since j2ther's post containing a link to DisableCraft.

I haven't noticed anyone treating me like i'm stupid. Perhaps i'm just socially retarded?

By the way:

I really don't want to dive into the comparing-with-real-world discussion.

You brought it up, so if anyone is going to eat a dick about this, it's going to be you.

SCT has a valid point. If you're going to limit the amount of power someone can derive from solar power, or rather limit their ability to be more efficient in space consumption and overall lag in the world, then make sure you add "I'm a real big idiot and when the server lags, it's because I didn't listen to someone who's been running a Tekkit server and can forsee the folly of disallowing the ability to pack up 8 panels for 1, giving relief to the server hardware and everyone who logs in and plays on it."

Glad you found something that works. Eventually you'll re enable them. When you do, please come back and apologize for wasting everyone's time.

You brought it up, so if anyone is going to eat a dick about this, it's going to be you.

SCT has a valid point. If you're going to limit the amount of power someone can derive from solar power, or rather limit their ability to be more efficient in space consumption and overall lag in the world, then make sure you add "I'm a real big idiot and when the server lags, it's because I didn't listen to someone who's been running a Tekkit server and can forsee the folly of disallowing the ability to pack up 8 panels for 1, giving relief to the server hardware and everyone who logs in and plays on it."

Glad you found something that works. Eventually you'll re enable them. When you do, please come back and apologize for wasting everyone's time.

With a great servercomputer, lag won't be a problem at all. As i said earlier: i don't think greedyness with computerpower shall ruin the gameplay of a server.

I WON'T enable the MV and HV because i don't like them. And i guess that makes me an idiot?

With a great servercomputer, lag won't be a problem at all. As i said earlier: i don't think greedyness with computerpower shall ruin the gameplay of a server.

I WON'T enable the MV and HV because i don't like them. And i guess that makes me an idiot?

100 solar panels generates a noticeable amount of lag on my server. Unless you're running a PvP server, I can't see why you don't like MVs and HVs. Enjoy the lag!

And i guess that makes me an idiot?

Yes. Because you don't have the foresight to understand that if people want mass amounts of solar, they will build mass amounts of solar. Right now you're only saving grace is that you're allowing for LV arrays. However, you're going to see that people will still want a massive amount of power derived from solar energy. For example lets say half of your pop gets to the point where they want 25 LV arrays to generate power for their various machines. 25 arrays multiplied by, oh, let's assume your population is 20, so that's just 10 people. That's 250 LV arrays right there spread across your server. By enabling MV/HV arrays, they can compact that number down and still produce the SAME AMOUNT OF ENERGY. Let's do some math.

8 LV Arrays + 1 MV Transformer = 1 MV Solar Array. 8 goes into 25 3 times, leaving us with a remainder of 1. We've effectively reduced the amount of solar panels from 25 to 4, or if you take the total population, 250 to 40. As the draw increases per person, that number may be reduced even further to where people just have 1 HV array to power their various things.

So yeah, you're an idiot. Not only are you an idiot, but you're a selfish one. Just because you don't like something, you're willing to punish the patrons of your server. I mean, at least I can understand the argument between whether or not to nerf EE. There is some logic behind it; however, despite people telling you that it would benefit you NOT to do this, you're just being a headstrong moron because you don't like them.

I changed my mind. When your server blows up and the people leave, just go curl up in the corner of the internet somewhere, where the rest of the idiots go. http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/"]This is a great place for idiots. Enjoy!

Yes. Because you don't have the foresight to understand that if people want mass amounts of solar, they will build mass amounts of solar. Right now you're only saving grace is that you're allowing for LV arrays. However, you're going to see that people will still want a massive amount of power derived from solar energy. For example lets say half of your pop gets to the point where they want 25 LV arrays to generate power for their various machines. 25 arrays multiplied by, oh, let's assume your population is 20, so that's just 10 people. That's 250 LV arrays right there spread across your server. By enabling MV/HV arrays, they can compact that number down and still produce the SAME AMOUNT OF ENERGY. Let's do some math.

8 LV Arrays + 1 MV Transformer = 1 MV Solar Array. 8 goes into 25 3 times, leaving us with a remainder of 1. We've effectively reduced the amount of solar panels from 25 to 4, or if you take the total population, 250 to 40. As the draw increases per person, that number may be reduced even further to where people just have 1 HV array to power their various things.

So yeah, you're an idiot. Not only are you an idiot, but you're a selfish one. Just because you don't like something, you're willing to punish the patrons of your server. I mean, at least I can understand the argument between whether or not to nerf EE. There is some logic behind it; however, despite people telling you that it would benefit you NOT to do this, you're just being a headstrong moron because you don't like them.

I changed my mind. When your server blows up and the people leave, just go curl up in the corner of the internet somewhere, where the rest of the idiots go. http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/']This is a great place for idiots. Enjoy!

Your logic is really retarded. If people want mass amounts of solar panels, they can build mass amounts of solar panels. I disabled some blocks that prevents mass EU production in a very small area. In what sense does that make me a selfish idiot? This was something we all agreed upon. If you have nothing remotely useful to say then please don't bother.

Your logic is really retarded.

Coming from the guy who's disabling blocks for no reason.

If people want mass amounts of solar panels, they can build mass amounts of solar panels. I disabled some blocks that prevents mass EU production in a very small area. In what sense does that make me a selfish idiot?

What? You just wanted to disable these blocks. Now it's just in a small area? Throughout this entire thread, you haven't mentioned just in a small area. So if you mentioned it previously and I didn't notice it, that's my bad.

With that said, you're not preventing ANYTHING remotely related to mass EU production. If there is one theme in this entire thread, it's that you have no idea how these panels work. They don't give bonuses when you compact them. They put out the equal amount of energy it requires to make them, so you're not preventing anything other than potentially creating unnecessary lag on your server. That's what makes you a selfish idiot. You have the chance to proactively reduce lag on your server and instead you're willing to continue to be stubborn about something you feel will create massive EU farming. Well shit son, that can happen with a buttload of LV's or normal solars. It's the lack of planning by a server owner/op that makes you a selfish idiot. Or maybe that's wrong. Maybe you're just a stubborn ass, or to quote Gordon Ramsey, a donkey.

This was something we all agreed upon.

So there's an entire server full of morons who flunked out of simple arithmetic? Classy.

If you have nothing remotely useful to say then please don't bother.

Says the guy who created this thread. I'm not going to stop until you learn that what you're doing is dumb, or stop posting.