Why are people so dumb? (blablabla legal)

Teraku

The Minecraft community is better off having both.

Exactly. Competition is good, as it will make both packs turn out better.

There's no place for antagonistic stuff like vandalism or "if absolutepath contains "technic" mod.donotinit()" in this community, whether that be directed to Technic or FTB. Sadly, there will always be mindless haters who just can't accept the fact that modpacks remain a thing of choice and preference.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your ideas of 'them' and 'us' don't jive with what happened last night between slow-of-pokes and Calc of UE, on either legitimacy, foolhardiness *or* hurt feelings.

The legitimacy also doesn't jive with the current FTB policy of including RP2 in private modpacks.

They assume that Eloraam's posted mod compilation policy gives carte blanche for RP2 to be included until she says otherwise.

I wonder what Sengir would say about that.

Blech FTB, I gave up on it after a week of failed downloads. But when you have to download the files from something called Creeper host you should expect it to blow up in your face. If FTB ever gets their shit together and uses a good host for the downloads I might change my mind.

I don't hate anyone until they've earned that hatred. Neither the FTB crew nor the Technic crew have earned any such hatred; I actually have pity for the FTB people. It's been what, 6 months? and their donate to the modders page is nowhere to be found. Their private pack feature is laughable. Their self-righteous smugness? Not making their packs any better. So, whatever.

I will, however, say this, something I said on the FTB forums as well:

Technic is foolhardy; rushing into things and worrying about the consequences as they come. That's fine in my book, and they've got some real innovation there, like the custom zip feature. But, being on the cutting edge, someone's feelings will get hurt.

FTB is cautious: they always double- and triple-check everything, and many times, they take that too far. That means they take time to change, and have a more consistent experience.

The Minecraft community is better off having both. The ideal approach, for me anyway, has always lain somewhere in between; some may disagree, but I think most can agree that both Technic and FTB have done awesome things for the MC community. Technic popularised modpacks, FTB "legitimised" them, and having a crew on either side of the argument means that the science modpacks will get done, the players will have fun, and the world will spin on. There's no place for mindless fanboyism on either side, and not much point in arguing about it.

The only issue inhibiting competition is those damn permissions..

I tried FTB for a bit, spent half an hour fooling around trying to disable GregTech, got frustrated at the Beta pack not starting etc. Apparently, everyone who plays FTB is supposed to be psychic and obviously knows that one certain modpack doesn't work. But apparently it's too much to ask to just have it removed or at least have a warning label or something.

I can see why people like FTB, but I don't like GregTech. And if I disable GregTech, I might as well play Technic.

The only thing I can think of:

A third "perfect" pack that supports both FTB and Technic that is designed to mirror both of them, but remove ALL of the cons.

Impossible. If you mix up all the mods from the two packs, then about 50% of people will not like how invasive GregTech is, or how mod X does Y to the world.

poryy, so in other words, a launcher that launches both packs? :P

I'm working on an awesome system, probably web based, where you pick and choose your mods from a web form and it downloads them and packages you a TechnicLauncher custom ZIP.

That sounds fairly amazing. I'll be waiting to see that.

Sourpowerpete: one thing I'll need some help with on this is the download links. Basically, I'll start keeping a database (read: XML file) with mod names, versions, and direct download links, as a Google Document of some sort, open to the public for edits. My application will get its links from there.

Sourpowerpete: one thing I'll need some help with on this is the download links. Basically, I'll start keeping a database (read: XML file) with mod names, versions, and direct download links, as a Google Document of some sort, open to the public for edits. My application will get its links from there.

I don't think you can blame me much when I say that I REALLY really really want to avoid making a modpack myself. I hope that's understandable for obvious reasons.

I don't think you can blame me much when I say that I REALLY really really want to avoid making a modpack myself. I hope that's understandable for obvious reasons.

You can pretty much be guaranteed that no one will ever give you grief for that here.

FTB is cautious: they always double- and triple-check everything

Oh, then I guess they should have quadruple checked their launcher when it gave out tons of peoples passwords. And maybe Slowpoke was being moderate and cautious in some way I don't understand when he swore at and insulted Calclavia of the EU/Voltz packs, declared he was removing their pack, and rage deleted their TS rooms when Calc expressed his frustrations with how they were being treated over there.

It's amazing how much people have openly accepted some shining image of Slowpoke just because he tells you he is that way. He literally had no track record. He didn't build a reputation. He just told people constantly that he was known for never lying, and he had stores of virtues and moralities non-existent in the loathsome Technic devs.

It's super interesting to see the curtain pulled back to reveal the man controlling Oz. Except I guess that doesn't work because the wizard turned out to be a nice guy.

Hey, Cheap. Just tellin' it as I see it. BTW, I don't see Slowpoke as a "shining knight", but as a slimy politician. (the one time FC's right) I'm saying that both Technic and FTB have their flaws, but their strengths, (combined) make Minecraft a better community.

Meh, I understand your point of view to an extent, but I personally feel it's the opposite. Slowpoke tore the divide in the community further apart to satisfy his need for publicity and to jump start FTB's popularity. He did so at a time when the drama was settling down and we were beginning to bridge things together and bury the hatchet with a lot of modders. There is more too it then "more options are better". He hasn't made MC a stronger community. He has further divided it.

Meh, I understand your point of view to an extent, but I personally feel it's the opposite. Slowpoke tore the divide in the community further apart to satisfy his need for publicity and to jump start FTB's popularity. He did so at a time when the drama was settling down and we were beginning to bridge things together and bury the hatchet with a lot of modders. There is more too it then "more options are better". He hasn't made MC a stronger community. He has further divided it.

Not only that, but he continues to do so. His outburst at Calclavia is just one example regardless if it was a joke or not.

Alright, I think I may have been misunderstood a bit. I don't think Slowpoke made the community a better place (God forbid). No, I'm saying FTB's existence makes the MC community a better place. You may disagree, and that's fine; but here's my reasoning on the matter.

1. FTB provides options. This is always a good thing.

2. FTB provides comparables. Comparing Technic to AMCO or DNS is apples to oranges. Technic to FTB is apples to apples, whether they like that or not. :P

3. FTB provides a different viewpoint. I am not a big fan of their "permissions signed in blood and double-notarized" attitude, but it's a completely valid attitude. The Technic attitude (and I understand, it's changing) has always been something to the tune of "CHAAARGE!". That's OK. It, too, is a completely valid attitude. Again, my personal viewpoint lies somewhere in the middle. But it's good to have packs with people on both sides of the line, because it provides clarity, and in my opinion, foundations. Is FTB's attitude right, or good for the community if it was the only one? IMO, no. Is the classic Technic "CHAAARGE!" right, or good for the community if it was the only one? Nope. But they each have strengths; and the community would be worse off without FTB, just like it would be worse off without Technic.

TL;DR: Neither approach is perfect, but to build a bridge, you need anchors on both sides of the river. :)

(PS. I know, I used, a bunch, of commas. Sorry, about that, it helps me organise, my thoughts.)

Sorry Laz, but I have to disagree with you on FTB's good. Because frankly you cant have FTB and not the baggage slowpoke brought at the same time. Yes, had it come about without any of the drama brought by slowpoke it WOULD have been good for the community. The fact it brought the drama, the password debacle, the donations to fly to Shangri-La, etc etc.... in the end. No. It has not been good.

Depends on how you look at it. When it comes to the modders, they all now hang out on forgecraft to discuss their mods and how they work together with each other. That side if left alone is fine by itself, and is happy talking about the recent changes to mods and modding. If you're talking about the fights between the technic/tekkit and FTB community, then yeah, totally falling apart at the hinges. I can't say I'm happy about the password leak either.

When it comes to the modders, they all now hang out on forgecraft to discuss their mods and how they work together with each other.

This is the problem with that reasoning. It isn't all the modders. Modders that Edit: aren't deemed important enough are denied entry, and modders that dislike Slowpoke aren't there. The voltz/UE modders were very rudely and condescendingly denied access to that collaborative community, one of the reasons the recent drama came about. Those modders were extremely frustrated with their treatment.

Edit: I edited the above to correct myself. My choice of wording was poor and it came off like Forgecraft is specifically Slowpoke controlled. He has influence only. The point about forgecraft still stands however. It does not represent all modders, and not all modders are welcome.

There is a sudo class system that has been established that negatively effects newer modders, which is damaging to a modding communities growth.