Mooshroom Power! Infinite Free* Clean** Energy

Mangles

Welcome to the latest innovation in power generation. Mooshroom Power. With the recent decline in magma generators and the massive data destruction caused by bugged or exploit methods of power production, Steve's everywhere have been wondering how to produce power in Attack of the B-Team. Look no further!

The Gist:

Mooshroom trophy generates mushrooms for your BioFuel Generator.

The Setup:

You use an Open Blocks Mooshroom trophy on top of 3x3 Mycelium or dirt in a darkened room. Underneath the trophy is an Autonomous Activator. It clicks the trophy and 8 brown mushrooms appear on the surrounding blocks. A Harvester collects the mushrooms and sends it to a BioReactor turning it into Biofuel, which connects to two BioFuel Generators. Place a Null under the Harvestor if you don't use sludge. The only thing that requires power is the Harvestor and that is minimal to upkeep. Whole set up takes up about 9x2x18 and generates ~360 RF per tick. 

Cost:

The main problem here is getting the Mooshroom Trophy. All other materials are readily obtainable and with the manual input of the first 8 mushrooms requires no outside input. An Auto-Spawner or a Breeder/Grinder are your best method of obtaining the trophy. This probably means that it won't be your first power system. 

Pros:

Small self maintained free energry at 360 RF per tick.

Can be used in conjunction with other biofuel farms to get better efficiency. 

Infinite Brown Mushroom if you need it for something. 

Cons:

Hard to get trophy

Probably won't be your first set up

Constant mooing near setup. 

Pics:

The Trophy on the Autonomous Activator.

http://tinypic.com/r/9un98p/8

9un98p.jpg

The Harvester and reactors

http://tinypic.com/r/21kgh86/8

21kgh86.jpg

Note: Space can be saved in the harvester set-up. This is the easiest way to display it. 

The entire set up

http://tinypic.com/r/30x7rtj/8

30x7rtj.png

Edited by Mangles

I haven't had the chance to test this yet...but you are saying that one mushroom produces 360 RF per tick?

So that 8 pieces of mushroom produce enough biofuel to get 360 RF/tick out of it? But...for how long? How much did you really get out of it?

Do you have pics?

Not one mushroom, but one Mooshroom Trophy attached to this system can produce 360 RF per tick infinitely. You actually get a little more but adding a third generator only sort of works. Any additional input would tip this over to a third easily. Three of these set ups could run 7 generators. I'm unsure if 2 of this set up could run 5 or not. 

EDIT: Pics now there for viewing pleasure

Edited by Mangles

@EAS. Not sure how u get free power from those spawners, nor how you are easily going to get them to one location. 

@Islands. Thanks, glad you like it. Let me know if you stumble upon any improvements. 

EAS - do you see how many blocks this takes?  This is a nicely portable and compact system that would only take a few minutes to set up, you could have it in a side-room on a mars base within 10 minutes of getting there.  It's also a useful use for a trophy :D

EAS - do you see how many blocks this takes?  This is a nicely portable and compact system that would only take a few minutes to set up, you could have it in a side-room on a mars base within 10 minutes of getting there.  It's also a useful use for a trophy :D

7*7 room with grinder+observer room+energy room, not that big

@EAS. Not sure how u get free power from those spawners, nor how you are easily going to get them to one location. 

@Islands. Thanks, glad you like it. Let me know if you stumble upon any improvements. 

Im using 8 reactant dynamo with gunpowder/sugar and glowstone/redstone ,each gives me 80 per tick(80*8=640 per tick) and i have infinite source of gunpowder/sugar/sticks/creeper-heads/potions etc.

OK I see how it works now. Thanks for the explanation. I haven't ever found a creeper spawner though. I guess u could use the Auto-Spawner and mob essence but that is another farm that you need to set up again. 

EAS, I've done some screenshots to help explain the size a bit better;

1Ckyj5Rl.jpg

jMzoG69l.jpg

ebz7oZDl.jpg

That's a generator that provides 360RF/tick that fits in 5x3x2 - less than 2 solar panels.  I've added a nullifier on a side to get rid of the sludge (it used to slow the machines down if they filled up with sludge, dunno if that's the case) but on mars/moon you could use sludge boilers to get all sorts of resources that are otherwise not available there too if you wanted (useful if you wanted to actually move there for some reason).  For a big base sure - reactant dynamos are usually what I use (with blaze spawners as they're easy to get and blaze powder is a great reactant) but even the spawning chamber of the design you're talking about would fit 2 of these.

EAS, I've done some screenshots to help explain the size a bit better;

1Ckyj5Rl.jpg

jMzoG69l.jpg

ebz7oZDl.jpg

That's a generator that provides 360RF/tick that fits in 5x3x2 - less than 2 solar panels.  I've added a nullifier on a side to get rid of the sludge (it used to slow the machines down if they filled up with sludge, dunno if that's the case) but on mars/moon you could use sludge boilers to get all sorts of resources that are otherwise not available there too if you wanted (useful if you wanted to actually move there for some reason).  For a big base sure - reactant dynamos are usually what I use (with blaze spawners as they're easy to get and blaze powder is a great reactant) but even the spawning chamber of the design you're talking about would fit 2 of these.

Well i have alredy set up witch+creeper spawners, im too lazy to find a moshroom trophy and create that setup.

BUT i used your idea, instead of using moshroom, im using saplings,potatoes and carrots from the tree farm :)

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong - by the time you can make this setup it very likely won't be an upgrade (mooshroom trophy drop is 1/1000 chance by default), but if you're space limited (you play PvP on a factions server and it needs to be in a chunk to be safe, you're in a moonbase and you want to have it inside for some reason, you screwed up your house and only have a small room available etc.) or time limited (you want to get a full system set up on a planet/moon before you run out of air, you're travelling and setting up mini-labs for genetics or processing all over the place).  I wouldn't call it the 'best' overall, but it's probably the best generator I've seen that fits in that space (or can be built that fast).

There are easier methods that take more time to build - a treefarm powering combustion engines for example.

There are more powerful methods that take more time and space - even a treefarm version of this is more efficient and cheaper while being larger and more complicated.

There are more portable methods that don't stand alone - tesseracts can have power flowing in the instant you arrive at a destination if you don't care about it actually being made on location.

Also.. it moos like crazy.  I'd probably want a switch on the bottom of that activator (even though that's making it 3x3x5) simply to shut that up after a while :D

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong - by the time you can make this setup it very likely won't be an upgrade (mooshroom trophy drop is 1/1000 chance by default), but if you're space limited (you play PvP on a factions server and it needs to be in a chunk to be safe, you're in a moonbase and you want to have it inside for some reason, you screwed up your house and only have a small room available etc.) or time limited (you want to get a full system set up on a planet/moon before you run out of air, you're travelling and setting up mini-labs for genetics or processing all over the place).  I wouldn't call it the 'best' overall, but it's probably the best generator I've seen that fits in that space (or can be built that fast).

There are easier methods that take more time to build - a treefarm powering combustion engines for example.

There are more powerful methods that take more time and space - even a treefarm version of this is more efficient and cheaper while being larger and more complicated.

There are more portable methods that don't stand alone - tesseracts can have power flowing in the instant you arrive at a destination if you don't care about it actually being made on location.

Also.. it moos like crazy.  I'd probably want a switch on the bottom of that activator (even though that's making it 3x3x5) simply to shut that up after a while :D

"Also.. it moos like crazy. :D"
This reminds me, please add Extra Utility to the modpack(Sound Muffler) 
Edited by EAS

7*7 room with grinder+observer room+energy room, not that big

Im using 8 reactant dynamo with gunpowder/sugar and glowstone/redstone ,each gives me 80 per tick(80*8=640 per tick) and i have infinite source of gunpowder/sugar/sticks/creeper-heads/potions etc.

Generikb used the same method on his space station. Is that where you got the idea?

It's a pretty standard setup, that or treefarms have been something people have been using in technic packs for what seems like ages.

With the ability to make glowstone these days (energized glowstone meeting gelid cryotheum) that's a much more efficient and cheaper option than mob essence that frees the mob essence up for spawners or enchanting, though you still need to spawn mobs (probably blazes because of how easy their spawners are to find and for blaze powder) in order to get reactants - sugar farms start to get insanely large.

A really early option is sugar farms and sewage - it's easy to convert from the setting up food at the start of the game to that system quickly, and it can be reused mostly in all the later versions of that system too.