Curse and FTB partner

SXScarecrow

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

putting this up here because it's hilarious

I saw this and quite literally could not believe what I was reading. I knew about this but for him to come out and straight up admit that he literally turned them down on the basis of they were not offering enough money is shocking to me.

I can say that FTB has not sold its name and we still completely control the content of our packs, which it appears technic were asked for. I can also say that the financial arrangements that we made with Curse were almost the last thing we negotiated. The vast majority of of the time we have spent talking has been about the tools and services we want to be able to offer. Making sure that we were all on the same page as far as ensuring that were going to be able to provide people with a good service.

this is slowpoke on the FTB reddit thread discussing this whole thing. he's referring to the fact that curse came to kaker first and kaker would not play ball. he told them they would have to significantly increase their offer and bring his whole team with him if they wanted their offer to be considered. they noped the fuck out and hit up FTB instead. we're seeing the result of that now.

kaker discussing the buyout offer:

only you could think it was possible to spin someone not taking money as being horrible and wrong as opposed to yourself who did. I think I'll just end this with another post in that same reddit thread that pretty much sums it up:

6gR1Q.png

good luck with your deal, slow. don't say no one told you so when you get the shaft and everything you worked to create falls apart before your eyes though.

I wish you the best with this venture, you have a lot of work ahead of you. I really do hope we get a central place for mods, modpacks, and the end users that is done right. Cheers!

Excuse me while a babble and ramble on for a bit...

I am one of the ones that believes Mojang will accomplish their goals. Their API should make it even easier to mod Minecraft and to have those mods work together without the most basic of conflicts. They have also shown that they wish to have a more open modding community most notably via their recent EULA changes. They have also expressed in the past a desire for a centralized repository for mods. They are also one of two entities within the community the I trust to do right by the end user (Technic being the other). Thankfully Mojang holds all of the trump cards.

Curse's motives, for the most part, are concerned with revenue. They likely desire to continue to be the go to place for minecraft with modding included, and it would seem have their eyes on the repository part of Mojang's goal where they can approach Mojang and say "Look we've already done it for you!" Of course there will be ads and likely some sort of premium service. They will most definitely do what Mojang asks.

FTB's motive, at least the very outspoken one, is permissions. Restricting the end user experience based on wide ranging and often arbitrary rules (which aren't directly FTB's fault.)

Now, all that said...their seems to be at least one major conflict here. Mojang has already stuck down mod DRM for being too restrictive, destructive, and basically silly. Will they not do the same for permissions? How can you enforce permissions without being restrictive, destructive, or silly? How are the modders going to feel about Curse making a mint off of their work if they were so up in arms over others that weren't trying to? Why would Curse expend the energy on something that might not last, won't make them revenue, and likely would restrict revenue?

Or is it all about respect again?

only you could think it was possible to spin someone not taking money as being horrible and wrong as opposed to yourself who did. I think I'll just end this with another post in that same reddit thread that pretty much sums it up:

6gR1Q.png

good luck with your deal, slow. don't say no one told you so when you get the shaft and everything you worked to create falls apart before your eyes though.

I can't find that post in the thread, I assume it's been deleted, or he's been banned from /r/feedthebeast or something. His account is here though if you want to take a gander yourself.

I can't find that post in the thread, I assume it's been deleted, or he's been banned from /r/feedthebeast or something. His account is here though if you want to take a gander yourself.

I checked the permalinks on all his posts in that topic, all respond as Nothing to see here

Looks like slowpoke has hellbanned him a few times. He keeps making new accounts to repost that post and slowpoke keeps taking them down. You guys should quote it to keep it up.

I screen capped the whole area for posterity.

6gXkz.png

If the guy can't play nice with us and wants to go back to slinging mud like a baby, he can deal with the backlash he gets from the community. HIS community no less.

Looks like he deleted it again. Wonder if the guy will put it up a 4th time.

I might just try it myself.

EDIT: Decided not to, but did see some guy post the pic Cheap put up in response to slowpoke. This was of course removed again. I don't see how this is happening since slowpoke is not a moderator there according to the list. Could be working with one of the moderators, it's anyone's guess really.

I might just try it myself.

EDIT: Decided not to, but did see some guy post the pic Cheap put up in response to slowpoke. This was of course removed again. I don't see how this is happening since slowpoke is not a moderator there according to the list. Could be working with one of the moderators, it's anyone's guess really.

I didn't see it that time. Oh well. The internet always remembers.

Ooh wow, leave the computer for a day and slowpoke really starts goin at it. This should crash and burn pretty quickly... Hopefully before any starry-eyed young FTB fans get their Minecraft accounts stolen through Curse's horrible security. Don't make little Timmy cry, Kevin.

Well, this will be interesting. Good to know the reddit is absolutely open to anybody and everybody expressing their opinions. Unless your opinion speaks contrary to their opinion, of course.

Is it sad that I am genuinely more excited to see how this pans out over the next few months, as opposed to the next few months of minecraft updates in their entirety? Because I don't need these new stones blocks, but I'd love to see the end result of Curse burning down FTB. I use it myself, I like it, but if this all goes sour, Platform here will become the main pack pile (Barring any competition, of course) And we may see some opinions about the platform change in the modding community, maybe we will see less "Burn down minecraft if its technic platform" Mods happen in the future XD.

• Moderators

One night off and this shit happens. I did wonder how come Curse didn't contact Kaker first if they wanted a huge userbase, because surely Technic has a wider audience than FTB does.

aaand the mudslinging from the holy knight on his white horse began again... Didn't he learn anything since that youtube troll from his first day in here?

Maybe it's the sleeping pills again, but I don't see how slowpoke could think trying to censor people would work, and be beneficial to anyone, perhaps he isn't to blame for the censoring?

On the other hand, is it common for him to go between reasonable human and mudslinging, insulting, semi-troll?

One night off and this shit happens. I did wonder how come Curse didn't contact Kaker first if they wanted a huge userbase, because surely Technic has a wider audience than FTB does.

I was wondering this as well. I figured that maybe they viewed the Technic pack as too much of a rouge/unofficial force to be worked with, but I'm interested to see that this was not the case.

Curse did contact Kaker, he turned them down. It was mentioned already on a few posts in this thread, including one on this page.

Yes, I know that. I was just saying that before the fact that they did contact Kaker came to light, I wondered why they didn't do that first. And now we know the truth.

Just to be clear I have not deleted anything anywhere. I am not even allowed to be on the moderation team of that Reddit from my understanding as it has to remain totally independant. Thats the first thing, the second is this.

If I have in some way misread the intent of the post that Kakermix made, then I apologise completely. I wasn't in any way commenting at all on the rest of the team or there motives and was purely going on the basis of what was written.

Also I just checked, everything still seems to be where it was on Reddit, thread can be found here

http://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/1ut98s/ftb_and_forge_curse_partnership/

Sort by new and the relevent parts are near the top. Finally and I know again this may be me misreading somehow but there is no mention of Kakermix turning them down, if anything it reads like the opposite is true. The post says

'The best part was I responded to the offer (after talking with Duncan a few times over the phone) with 'dramatic increase in what is being offered'. The response was 'we cant afford that' and thats where the talking stopped. From how I read that, it feels like Curse ended the negotiations and not Kakermix. Again if I have either misread this then I apologise but I can only go off the information in the post.

Sort by new and the relevent parts are near the top. Finally and I know again this may be me misreading somehow but there is no mention of Kakermix turning them down, if anything it reads like the opposite is true. The post says

'The best part was I responded to the offer (after talking with Duncan a few times over the phone) with 'dramatic increase in what is being offered'. The response was 'we cant afford that' and thats where the talking stopped. From how I read that, it feels like Curse ended the negotiations and not Kakermix. Again if I have either misread this then I apologise but I can only go off the information in the post.

Kaker ended the negotiations by giving them on offer they'd obviously refuse. He knew they were looking to get a chunk of the New World away from those savage natives for a sackful of shiny beads.

Considering the description of the first deal they offered to their first choice, I wonder just how rose colored your glasses are when you described how little will change.

Also I just checked, everything still seems to be where it was on Reddit, thread can be found here

http://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/1ut98s/ftb_and_forge_curse_partnership/

Yeah, everything is most definitely not still there. For instance, if you go to http://www.reddit.com/u/handymanjeff and click permalink or context on his comment, it's not there.

Edit: slowpoke, as your pet Vauthil would say, Input noted. I'm going to have to ask, however, that you make that your last for now. About 1 in 15 posts in an almost 100 reply thread is now you saying the same things over and over. You've had your say. Make room for other people now. Thank you. Oh and don't call me out on telling you to shut up or Vauthil will have to ban you.

np, I came here to answer questions originally, done that as best as I can.

ill leave you to your conspiracy theory stuff again.

Aww, don't go, we'll miss you, I was just throwing your moderator's bullshit back at you! I love you, Kevin!