I miss Industrial Craft...

UnholyD

Not quite everything was replaced though. Frames, nuclear reactors, solar, low-tier energy storage and maybe one or two other things haven't yet been replaced. Yet. Yes, I know many of these things are in the process of being replaced but they aren't in the game right now.

We're still better off without mods which aren't updating though, and I wouldn't say Tekkit without them "sucks".

Nuclear Reactors: A mod called Big Reactors is coming soon that is going to add modular sized multiblock reactors including fission and fusion reactors among other kinds of energy out put. From what the mod author has shown, it will blow away IC2 reactors, not just in how he has them planed to work, but visually as well (how cool is it that you can litteraly see the cooling rods interact in the reactor as opposed to the whole thing being just a giant GUI inventory). You can keep track of that mod here.

Frames: Someone is making a mod that replicates what frames were able to do. I for one am OK with RP2 frames being gone as I know there was a lot of inter-mod issues with that. From what other modders have said, RP2 refused to write any sort of API to work with frames, frames were a very "hackish" implementation that ended up breaking a lot of different things in other mods and frames in general did not play well with other mods. Basically they created a lot of work on other modders to make sure that her frames didn't break peoples games when they combined RP2 with other mods. Between her attitude about them with other modders and the horror stories I've heard, I'd welcome a new challenger.

Solar: I believe King Lemming has said that he is working on a solar array system (which I guess would not just be a single block solar panel, but something like reflective mirrors set up) which will be a lot more balanced than what was presented in IC2. Do not quote me on this, this is just me saying I am pretty sure I remember him posting about this here. He is of course free to correct me on this. :P

Low Tier Energy Storage: I think there is like three or so different people working on new energy storage right now. I am not sure how handy that may be honestly, but who knows.

So yes, as you said, they are being replaced, but I don't think their exclusion right now is all that big a deal. IC2's solar panels were poorly thought out and created more problems than anything. I've gave my statement on frames already and reactors, at least IC2's, were very meh. You also don't even need the power generation output that a reactor would give you, nothing right now has a high energy draw. If you want reactors just for the fun of playing with radioactive stuff, than the mods that are being worked on right now will be well worth the wait since IC2's reactors were so.. boring. Way to easy to get them stable and outputting a stupid amount of energy, not much risk in using them and when it all comes down it it, it was just an inventory organization minigame.

Honestly, if you are unhappy with the state of tekkit right now, I suggest sticking with Classic or Lite for a few months and coming back when these things get implemented. Taking out RP2 and IC2 now were smart moves, because even if they do update soon by some miracle, what happens if they don't update again after that? Or it takes another year for an update, that means Tekkit is either forced to ruin people's worlds by force removing those mods or falling behind as MC updates and mods improve and add new features for versions they cannot update to anymore.

Change can be painful at times, but it is usually for the best in the end. :)

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nuclear Reactors: A mod called Big Reactors is coming soon that is going to add modular sized multiblock reactors including fission and fusion reactors among other kinds of energy out put. From what the mod author has shown, it will blow away IC2 reactors, not just in how he has them planed to work, but visually as well (how cool is it that you can litteraly see the cooling rods interact in the reactor as opposed to the whole thing being just a giant GUI inventory). You can keep track of that mod here.

Frames: Someone is making a mod that replicates what frames were able to do. I for one am OK with RP2 frames being gone as I know there was a lot of inter-mod issues with that. From what other modders have said, RP2 refused to write any sort of API to work with frames, frames were a very "hackish" implementation that ended up breaking a lot of different things in other mods and frames in general did not play well with other mods. Basically they created a lot of work on other modders to make sure that her frames didn't break peoples games when they combined RP2 with other mods. Between her attitude about them with other modders and the horror stories I've heard, I'd welcome a new challenger.

Solar: I believe King Lemming has said that he is working on a solar array system (which I guess would not just be a single block solar panel, but something like reflective mirrors set up) which will be a lot more balanced than what was presented in IC2. Do not quote me on this, this is just me saying I am pretty sure I remember him posting about this here. He is of course free to correct me on this. :P

Low Tier Energy Storage: I think there is like three or so different people working on new energy storage right now. I am not sure how handy that may be honestly, but who knows.

So yes, as you said, they are being replaced, but I don't think their exclusion right now is all that big a deal. IC2's solar panels were poorly thought out and created more problems than anything. I've gave my statement on frames already and reactors, at least IC2's, were very meh. You also don't even need the power generation output that a reactor would give you, nothing right now has a high energy draw. If you want reactors just for the fun of playing with radioactive stuff, than the mods that are being worked on right now will be well worth the wait since IC2's reactors were so.. boring. Way to easy to get them stable and outputting a stupid amount of energy, not much risk in using them and when it all comes down it it, it was just an inventory organization minigame.

Honestly, if you are unhappy with the state of tekkit right now, I suggest sticking with Classic or Lite for a few months and coming back when these things get implemented. Taking out RP2 and IC2 now were smart moves, because even if they do update soon by some miracle, what happens if they don't update again after that? Or it takes another year for an update, that means Tekkit is either forced to ruin people's worlds by force removing those mods or falling behind as MC updates and mods improve and add new features for versions they cannot update to anymore.

Change can be painful at times, but it is usually for the best in the end. :)

Anything could blow away IC2 reactors. I'm glad to hear about new solar panels. Could we also try to get some improvements for EE3, please? Because, frankly (And I'm SURE there's no other possible opinion on this), it sucks SO bad.

EE3 "sucks" because It's in development. Did you think the Minium stone was all that was being added? The new features will (probably) eventually be added and it'll be more expansive.

If you think it sucks so bad, go play Tekkit Classic or Tekkit Lite instead of whining about it here. They exist, it's not like they were replaced and retired when the new Tekkit launched.

Seriously, I do not get the mindset of people who whine about new things when what they want still exists.

I'm not whining. It'd just be nice to have a Tekkit Classic updated.

It has been updated: that's what Tekkit is. Tekkit Classic as you know it isn't being updated anymore because some of the core features of it aren't being updated anymore. You can't update those when there's no official update available to apply.

By the way, does anyone know if there's a replacement or one in the works for the lamps and inverted lamps? Stained glass doesn't quite cover it.

Yeah, you kind of are. You are asking for something impossible, the Technic team can't just wave their magic mod-wand and upgrade all of the mods included in Tekkit Classic to newer versions so minecraft core can be updated.

There IS an updated Tekkit Classic. It's called "Tekkit Lite", and has everything apart from EE2. Is it really so hard to grasp?

• 4 weeks later...

umm, i believe that ic2 is updated with a like beta or dev version cause i just made a 1.5.2 pack in the technic platform with ic2 in it. As far as i can tell, ic2 is not dead, just still working on a mostly bugless release for the newer versions. Thats just what im thinking, but i whenever i install ic2 its always for the latest version of minecraft wether its 1.4.6/7, 1.5.1, 1.5.2, or why one 1.6.1, cause its updating, I know it. To me it appears to be updating for all current versions of minecraft with beta or dev releases that have all of the things in ic2 we love.

umm, i believe that ic2 is updated with a like beta or dev version

What Magicthize means to say is, yes. There are beta and indev versions of IC². There have been for over half a year.

Note, however, that there hasn't been a stable release?

Yeah. Until somebody releases a stable, public release it's safe to say IC² is dead. What you're seeing is a desperate attempt to keep it alive, for a given value of alive. It's like keeping a brain-dead person on life-support because "miracles happen, right!?".

Uhmmm, if I may share my opinion, from the point of view of someone that's pretty much new to tekkit main, I get these 2 feelings in the general "vibe" of the mod:

-Tekkit classic/lite is steampunk industry

-Tekkit main is modern industry

When I first started using main (mainly because I did think EE2 made things waaaaay too simple) I didn't really expect much and I knew I was going to open a whole new can of worm, now I am extremely glad I did so.

I moved from buildcraft pipes to conveyors and ME cables, created my ME network, started using power armors instead of nano/quantum (and yes, power armor may give the same abilities of nano/quantum, but it's more difficult to put togheter and you can still disable what you don't like and customize it, on top of being VERY expensive to make).

I mean, I could automate pretty much everything in classic and it was even easier.

But in main it's more... stylish.

Like, using the EE condenser or a molecular assembler leads to pretty much the same result, but damn, the setup and logistics needed to use the ME network and make the assembler work are much more fun and satisfying.

Personally I think that main has taken away a lot of stuff, but it was the only way to be able to put MORE stuff in it and have a release that could actually grow with time.

I mean, seriously, try mystcraft O_O

Just mystcraft is awesome!

I'd say Tekkit Main is more steampunk than Tekkit Classic, if you want to go down that route. Just look at IC2, and compare it with Thermal Expansion and Buildcraft's practical way of doing things.