I miss Industrial Craft...

UnholyD

Hey all,

I am hoping you guys can share some info so I can convince my roommate to start playing the Tekkit pack versus the Tekkit Lite pack. We started playing Tekkit Lite as that is what I was playing ~9 months ago when I first got the game (which I only played for about a month, just now starting to play again as my roommate was interested in giving it a try). We both love a lot of the aspects that I am now learning is part of the Industrial Craft mod (I read this entire thread yesterday), which is not in the Tekkit pack.

After reading this thread yesterday, it seemed this pack not having the Industrial Craft mod was no big deal, as almost all it offered has been replaced by like if not better mods. However, I am having a hard time convincing my roommate, as he immediately notices that there are only 16 pages of recipes versus 38 (I believe) pages on Tekkit lite. We both love complexity, and when you see such a drastic reduction in recipes, it’s hard to see how Tekkit could offer the same experience as Tekkit Lite.

So, I would appreciate anyone who takes the time to tell me what the equivalent is on the Tekkit side for the stuff we have both come to love on the Tekkit Lite side.

A quick easy question, is there no Marble or Basalt in Tekkit? We both noticed that almost immediately, as we both used a combination of the two to make our places on the Tekkit lite server.

Now for the main concern, we loved the fact that you start with furnaces, you upgrade them, etc. Then you want a Macerator, a Compactor, an Extractor, etc. We love that kind of stuff, that you keep building more and more and more. I did notice that Tekkit has lots of new machines, do they replace everything IC offered, or are there some holes?

Finally, if you have a general comment of why a change in 38 pages of recipes to 16 wouldn’t be a bad thing (maybe Tekkit Lite is just bloated with stuff that we would never use, again, I have not played this game much, so I am still very much a newbie).

Thanks for your help in advanced! I want to switch over to Tekkit, as my understanding is that Tekkit Lite will never be updated again and Tekkit is the new supported version.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Things to tell your roommate:

1. There are some holes where IC2 was, but only a few and not very big ones.
  2. Marble and Basalt have been replaced by White and Black stone from MineFactory Reloaded. Both colors come in much more varieties than Redpower's did.
  3. Tekkit Lite was somewhat bloated, and while Tekkit is a little slimmer there is so much more to do. You couldn't go to the moon or build your own space station in Tekkit Lite.
  4. Part of the challenge of the new Tekkit is learning to do the same things in new ways. For example, you can't craft a jetpack, but you can add one to your very own custom PowerSuit.
  5. The new Tekkit does not rely on Mods that are no longer updating. Eloraam has far to much real life stuff going on to maintain RedPower, and Abalaka is burnt out and is no longer developing IC2.

I also know that the NEI recipes were shrunk by omitting a bunch of 'basic' recipes for microblocks that took up a lot of space.

And there's definitely a progression from stirling/steam engines to combustion and/or magmatic engines, not to mention trying to automate them; on top of that there's a progression from standard furnace to Thermal Expansion machinery and then eventually working up to an Applied Energistics network which is awesome but resource-intensive.

Besides all of that, there's Galacticraft, Dimensional Doors, and Mystcraft for exploration. I still haven't really figured out Mystcraft more than a few highly screwed up 'Ages'.

And then MFR farming, getting a BioFuel setup running (for crazy amounts of power)... and the new Atomic power stuff sounds fun, even if it doesn't seem to compete with BioFuel for energy production.

The list keeps going...

Things to tell your roommate.

1. Marble and Basalt have been replaced by White and Black stone from MineFactory Reloaded. Both colors come in much more varieties than Redpower's did.

One quick question about this one. I personally loved Basalt as it was indestructable in regards to creepers. Is black stone as well? Is there any type of building blocks that are indestructable (by creepers) in this version?

to the best of my knowledge, there's not much that's Creeper-proof. I feel like there was a thread a long ways back where somebody was testing the various materials... you'll have to look for it.

Obviously Obsidian, and maybe Hardened Glass???

So, I was just wondering; has anyone figured out an alternative to scaffolding yet? That is hands down the one thing that's missing that's getting on my nerves. I liked them when building, and I build a lot! It's just that it get's annoying building bridges without them...

It's best of you just stick with the recommended version, since that one will have fewer bugs.

If you must have the latest because of new features in updates mods, or whatever reason, be aware that the build might be unstable and may crash or corrupt your world.

It's best of you just stick with the recommended version, since that one will have fewer bugs.

If you must have the latest because of new features in updates mods, or whatever reason, be aware that the build might be unstable and may crash or corrupt your world.

I find 1.1.5 has fewer bugs (it fixed phase pipes and airlocks) than 1.0.6.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

anybody recon they will put it back in now the new updte for IC2 is coming out with all these new features?

Link?

All I could find was Alblaka's old release for MC 1.4.5 on his forum. And that was december 13th 2012

Scratch that, I didn't look up. Guess RichardG been busy... The mod is still the same though, just an added boat.

Link?

All I could find was Alblaka's old release for MC 1.4.5 on his forum. And that was december 13th 2012

Scratch that, I didn't look up. Guess RichardG been busy... The mod is still the same though, just an added boat.

Nope, in Direwolf20's Forgecraft2 series on 1.6, there's a whole boatload of new features. revamped recepies, new generators, etc. I suppose it's a possibility if a public release is put out, but I wouldn't count on it.

My guess is the IC2 team managed to contact Albalaka, and he told them to do what they wanted with it.