I miss Industrial Craft...

UnholyD

RichardG is a hack that broke multiblock structures in other mods with his whole "heat trail" feature, that places invisible blocks around the player as they move about in his own mod. Hell, it broke vanilla nether portals. Saying that RichardG is helping develop IC2 really does not boost any confidence in a usable build being produced ever. :V

You're thinking of "CovertJaguar" there, chief.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Turn on a quarry. Go to work. Come back to lots of shit. ??????

Singleplayer, Niavmai. Just because I enjoy server play doesn't mean I live where I can get an internet connection to do so. :(

And yes, I do have a good internet connection at work. But playing minecraft at work would be frowned upon, to say the least.

Singleplayer, Niavmai. Just because I enjoy server play doesn't mean I live where I can get an internet connection to do so. :(

And yes, I do have a good internet connection at work. But playing minecraft at work would be frowned upon, to say the least.

Why do you need a server to run a quarry?

So a guy I never heard of and a douche who thinks everyone else should accommodate his broken "feature" instead of him just fixing it. A feature that breaks multiblock structures and nether portals. RichardG is NOT the kind of person you should bring when trying to convince people IC2 isn't doomed.

IC2 is dead.

Yeah, RichardG can be arrogant and backwards sometimes.

And IC2 is dead. Maybe someone like GregoriusT will take over, I dunno. But at this point, they're keeping it in a zombie state by updating it to newer versions of Minecraft.

If you want to "go to work and come back to lots of shit", then the map would need to constantly be running. So, either it needs to be on a server, or he has to leave his Minecraft open.

I've generally not found it to be good to leave it running indefinitely. Tends to lock up or I come back to a 'you're dead' screen. Not to mention gobbling electricity down. Maybe I'll try doing that again soon anyway.

Give it it's own power generation if you're worried about power usage - it can really eat up reserves if you plug it in to your main supply and leave it unattended. I'd recommend magmatics for something like that.

Give it it's own power generation if you're worried about power usage - it can really eat up reserves if you plug it in to your main supply and leave it unattended. I'd recommend magmatics for something like that.

REAL electricity. Even with recent improvements in performance, it still pegs the video card pretty hard. Leaving it running like that all the time would give me a non-trivial jump in my electric bill.

REAL electricity. Even with recent improvements in performance, it still pegs the video card pretty hard. Leaving it running like that all the time would give me a non-trivial jump in my electric bill.

Wow, what kind of video card are you running that would use such a vast amount of electricity?

Im envisioning a card the size of a microwave, or small car.

>Close background programs

>Reduce screen brightness

>Other power-saver stuff

Might not work too much if you're leaving it on for ages, but should be enough for any sensible amount.

Wow, what kind of video card are you running that would use such a vast amount of electricity?

Im envisioning a card the size of a microwave, or small car.

It's an embedded laptop graphics card, but if you're playing for a while it gets hot enough to burn unprotected skin. That's a sign that it's using quite a bit of electricity. The adapter's rated for 65W, and that'll run your electric bill up if you leave it on all the time. Plus, then double-hit because the air conditioner has to remove the heat.

Yeah, I'm watching my bills. Sue me.

As I said, I might try it, but by that point it's starting to seem a bit ridiculous.

It's an embedded laptop graphics card, but if you're playing for a while it gets hot enough to burn unprotected skin. That's a sign that it's using quite a bit of electricity. The adapter's rated for 65W, and that'll run your electric bill up if you leave it on all the time. Plus, then double-hit because the air conditioner has to remove the heat.

Yeah, I'm watching my bills. Sue me.

As I said, I might try it, but by that point it's starting to seem a bit ridiculous.

That's a sign that it's a laptop. Not that it is using a lot of electricity. Laptops are notorious for having bad overheating problems. I am using a 600w PSU on a high end custom computer, and it is on most of the time. I haven't noticed a significant jump in my electric bill ever since buying it. Computers aren't like toasters, they don't actually draw a huge amount of power, especially if it isn't a powerful computer. Also, if your laptop is getting so hot that you have to turn on the air conditioner to cool your house down from the heat it generates, you really need to get a new laptop that isn't faulty. On the off chance you mean cool the laptop down itself, then get a cooling pad, they are cheap and REALLY help with overheating.

That's a sign that it's a laptop. Not that it is using a lot of electricity. Laptops are notorious for having bad overheating problems. I am using a 600w PSU on a high end custom computer, and it is on most of the time. I haven't noticed a significant jump in my electric bill ever since buying it. Computers aren't like toasters, they don't actually draw a huge amount of power, especially if it isn't a powerful computer. Also, if your laptop is getting so hot that you have to turn on the air conditioner to cool your house down from the heat it generates, you really need to get a new laptop that isn't faulty. On the off chance you mean cool the laptop down itself, then get a cooling pad, they are cheap and REALLY help with overheating.

Use an air duster to clean the dust outta the laptops heat sinks, solves 90% of laptop overheating issues.

My laptop is an ASUS N56VZ, and thus is very, very hard to clean properly. I've had it for about a year or so, and it runs way too hot when playing Minecraft and GTA IV. The fan just doesn't blow quickly enough due to all the dust.

But I have to take the whole damn thing apart to clean it.

First off: I don't care if you flame me or not, I have a few things I'd like to put out there. Mainly just a few of my opinions and some (insightful?) commentary from my perspective.

I personally like Industrial Craft. Always have. It was one of the few Core mods to the original Technic series which helped evolve it into what it is today. I like having wires running around and the overall simplicity of the entire mod. It didn't add too many new resources (Tin and Copper). It was based around working with itself and Vanilla to give you the Technical Shizzle Wizzle you all wanted but knew you'd never get with Vanilla. It has Solar Power which you almost never see in the other mods. It was relatively simple to set up and use and didn't feel too OP until you got to the point where you were digging massive holes and turning everything into Scrap to get UU. It adds farms and brewing which is something to be said over Vanilla farming. Nuclear Power is just plain cool in my opinion. Maceration was simple and didn't require much to get it started initially and was always a practical option. And to top everything off, you can add upgrades to, like, EVERYTHING. Overclockers as far as the eye could see, Battery upgrades, and Transformers.

As far as other mods go, they are just trying to pick up the slack that IC on it's own managed to keep for as long as anyone can remember. Modular Power Suits are quite nifty indeed but they just don't have the same feel, especially considering the massive power costs they have. Forestry, in general, the original creator didn't want any of Forestry in the Technic bundle so badly that malicious code was inserted leading to the creator to choose between being a sniveling little baby about a mod bundle (that was awesome) adding in their creation against their consent and blow it all up knowing that people would hate them for it or just give in and at least try to take the high road. And yet Forestry has become staple in Tekkit where once IC used to be. Buildcraft is almost completely standard in all Tekkit stuff which is not a bad thing but in my opinion looks rather ridiculous when you see a million engines chugging away to power things that require MJ. Things that do the exact same things that IC has done for the longest time already. And when you look at a lot of things, they are based around the whole "Universal Electricity" dynamic and become rather rigid. Voltz pack stuff is fun every so often, but it gets incredibly frustrating when you have to get everything just so to get it to function. No to mention all of the tedium to make everything in the first place. IC did just about everything that makes Voltz work without as much of said tedium and has been a staple for Tekkit since before UE was a thought in Voltz's creator's minds. Yet every update seems to be much more UE inclusive and, in my opinion, looks like you'll be seeing Voltz become Tekkit standard which leads me to mixed feelings ranging between dread, fury, and extreme apathy. With IC being there, this would never have crossed my mind as even a remote possibility.

Yes it has bugs, yes it's a bit slow to update, yes it's a bit OP when you get everything up and running, and yes a lot of other mods are doing the exact same thing that it does. But here's the kicker, IC did it first and, at least in my opinion, did it better for the longest time. I'm not saying it's perfect, in fact, if you read any of what I just said, I'm saying far from it. But, I am saying that to say anything else is better and that IC can be easily replaced is saying that every single mod you use in Tekkit is the exact same way. Think about it. Buildcraft to Industrial Craft to Mekanism to Redpower to Equivalent Exchange, they all have their pros and cons.

Maybe I'm nostalgic, maybe I'm a fool, maybe I can't let it go. But, Speed, Utility, Simplicity, and Fun. These, and more, are how I remember IC and IC2. And to everyone that says it is complete and utter crap by comparison to every other mod in Tekkit today is even more a fool than I and has probably never truly appreciated any mod for what it has done for them. If it gets updated, I'll be happy again and can hold my head high. If it doesn't, then I hope more modders out there get their asses in gear and give me what I'll surely be missing since without IC there is much in the way of content that needs to be replaced (namely solar and nuclear power and brewing, my GOD the brewing).

So in short, R.I.P. Industrial Craft: Sleep Well Sweet Prince For We Barely Knew Ye.

I love these mods (IC2, RedPower, BuildCraft, EE [NOT 2 or 3!], and Forestry). However, I feel like Tekkit modders think they can strip down Tekkit and add GalactiCraft and everything's fine and dandy.

I love these mods (IC2, RedPower, BuildCraft, EE [NOT 2 or 3!], and Forestry). However, I feel like Tekkit modders think they can strip down Tekkit and add GalactiCraft and everything's fine and dandy.

If you don't like it, make your own pack, that's all this is to them, a pack for minecraft which they are sharing with us

They could just as easily say "screw you guys" privatise their pack and run/shutdown platform

Also, 3 of those mods don't work on 1.5.2 (IC2 (likely dead), RedPower (likely dead), EE2 (officially no longer developed!) and one doesn't want to be included in Tekkit nor do the Tekkit devs have had any plans in a long ass time to include it again (Forestry). But BuildCraft is still in the latest Tekkit, so there's that.

Something tells me you haven't even given the new mods a chance at all. Especially with how you seem to indicate that those mods were replaced by GalacticCraft, but failed to mention AE, TE or MFR let alone a ton of other great mods that have improved this version as well. :P

Yes, the Technic team CAN strip down Tekkit and add GalactiCraft. It's THEIR pack.

Honestly, nothing was lost. IC2 is dying, RP2 will take a very long time to update, so what do you want? I'm willing to bet you haven't even tried Thermal Expansion, which replaces a lot of IC2's functionality. RedPower's Wiring and Logic has been replaced by MineFactory Reloaded's RedNet. Everything has been replaced. And it's not like they added GalactiCraft just to shut people up.

Also, 3 of those mods don't work on 1.5.2 (IC2 (likely dead), RedPower (likely dead), EE2 (officially no longer developed!) and one doesn't want to be included in Tekkit nor do the Tekkit devs have had any plans in a long ass time to include it again (Forestry). But BuildCraft is still in the latest Tekkit, so there's that.

Something tells me you haven't even given the new mods a chance at all. Especially with how you seem to indicate that those mods were replaced by GalacticCraft, but failed to mention AE, TE or MFR let alone a ton of other great mods that have improved this version as well. :P

I like those mods, yes. But there's something about Tekkit without RP or IC2 or EE that makes it suck.

Not quite everything was replaced though. Frames, nuclear reactors, solar, low-tier energy storage and maybe one or two other things haven't yet been replaced. Yet. Yes, I know many of these things are in the process of being replaced but they aren't in the game right now.

We're still better off without mods which aren't updating though, and I wouldn't say Tekkit without them "sucks".

Nothing to see here folks, this guy is door-knob tier stupid.

That's very offensive, you shouldn't say stuff like that.

What have door-knobs ever done to you to deserve that?

I like those mods, yes. But there's something about Tekkit without RP or IC2 or EE that makes it suck.

That "something" is probably your personal preference. I have to agree that IC2 gave the game a certain feel, but Thermal Expansion's feel is just as good, IMO.