Kitty Jail 2: You Can (not) Escape

Lethosos

I think the shifter might actually be slightly broken, it really shouldn't have shifted even if something fell on it. I'll have to have that looked at.

So far, I think I have spent approximately way too much money on steam, thank goodness it's almost over.

​i haven't spent like any money on steam. in part because of finances and wanting to get a tv for my PC, ive got other things i can spend it on, a new warframe prime acess is coming soon...and i don'y really want any new games....got enough already i haven't touched. 

EDIT: bought dungon defender, might buy gray goo because i have a lack of RTS games

​anyone here watch NCIS? season 12 just ended (yes i know it was actually a month ago, but time is relative)  and it was an emotional feels trip for  me. 

a reminder to everyone, it is father's day tomorrow just so you all know (providing you live in the US/Canada) 

Edited by holymage!

Manual or automatic?

Because an automatic should be able to shift quite easily into neutral from drive. It's a safety requirement, so no matter what you can cut power to the wheels.

Pretty sure a manual will to, though it's worse for the transmission.

I think the shifter might actually be slightly broken, it really shouldn't have shifted even if something fell on it. I'll have to have that looked at.

So far, I think I have spent approximately way too much money on steam, thank goodness it's almost over.

most gear shifts come on the side now don't they....i don't have a car so i don't REALLY know...i just think that is how it is. 

​i haven't spent like any money on steam. in part because of finances and wanting to get a tv for my PC, ive got other things i can spend it on, a new warframe prime acess is coming soon...and i don'y really want any new games....got enough already i haven't touched. 

a reminder to everyone, it is father's day tomorrow just so you all know (providing you live in the US/Canada) 

​Just spent 5 dollars on Banner Saga. Almost made it without spending. Almost!

Alright, nerds. I have three copies of Uplink to give away to those who somehow don't have this glorious game already.

(It's essentially Old Cheesy Hacking Movies: The Game. It allows you an impressive amount of freedom in the game though, I once had someone arrested for 3rd degree jaywalking.)

Either post here, PM me, or message me on steam if you'd like one.

Edited by TheBytemaster

Does anyone else get windows telling  you it's low on memory when playing Grey Goo?

it could be because I'm only on my APU until I can claim warrenty on my GPU...but still I've got 8gbs of ram...shouldn't be getting a memory issue error

I like my explanation better. ;)

​I once had a guy hack a hacking game so that we could discuss hacking a different hacking game without being listened in on by the admins.

(Uplink has a working IRC client you can buy in-game. He hacked uplink to give himself enough credits to get it without having to play through the game.)

MOD QUESTION:

The creators of Uplink, (Introversion Studios), are giving away the soundtrack to the game, but it's in really old weird formats. I took the liberty of converting them to .mp3s, filling in most of the metadata, and making/embedding some album art. Would it be okay for me to link it here?

Edited by TheBytemaster

It seems like the Fury X didn't quite pan out how AMD was hoping.  They released benchmarks showing it soundly beating the GTX 980ti, but when reviewers made their own generally the two cards only tied at 4K and the Fury X lost at lower resolutions.  Of course that's reasonable, Nvidia's 900-series drivers are mature while AMD's Fury-series are brand new, but that doesn't explain AMD's pre-release benchmarks.  They had to have known the hype would crash.  And, at least at this time, both cards are $650 and the 980ti offers slightly more performance, so it's clear which is the better buy.

It seems like the Fury X didn't quite pan out how AMD was hoping.  They released benchmarks showing it soundly beating the GTX 980ti, but when reviewers made their own generally the two cards only tied at 4K and the Fury X lost at lower resolutions.  Of course that's reasonable, Nvidia's 900-series drivers are mature while AMD's Fury-series are brand new, but that doesn't explain AMD's pre-release benchmarks.  They had to have known the hype would crash.  And, at least at this time, both cards are $650 and the 980ti offers slightly more performance, so it's clear which is the better buy.

Looking around, it sort of bounces back and forth depending on the game being played and who's reviewing it. Even when it does win though, the Fury never wins by all that much. I have to agree, it's a little underwhelming. I do have to wonder what a new set of drivers and DX12 will do for it, but it probably won't be enough to make a substantial difference.

Regardless, I'm sincerely hoping that AMD can become the overall better option though, and quickly. (Relatively speaking.) If they end up exiting the GPU market, Nvidia will have no real competition unless Intel goes off the rails and decides to make discrete chips.

I know I probably don't have to tell you this, but monopolies are really bad.

Inactive or no, as a Kitty Jail user, I obviously have to leave a mark on our prestigious secondary Kitty Jail thread.

​*salutes*

Edited by TheBytemaster

Looking around, it sort of bounces back and forth depending on the game being played and who's reviewing it. Even when it does win though, the Fury never wins by all that much. I have to agree, it's a little underwhelming. I do have to wonder what a new set of drivers and DX12 will do for it, but it probably won't be enough to make a substantial difference.

Regardless, I'm sincerely hoping that AMD can become the overall better option though, and quickly. (Relatively speaking.) If they end up exiting the GPU market, Nvidia will have no real competition unless Intel goes off the rails and decides to make discrete chips.

I know I probably don't have to tell you this, but monopolies are really bad.

​As you know Intel has been doing a lot of work on Integrated GPUs, as I understand it they could simply scale their chips up.  So it wouldn't be totally unreasonable to expect them to step into the discreet market.

Also, apparently a lot of reviewers were using an old driver.  The new one helps the Fury a fair bit.  It's pretty consistently giving the 980ti a run for its money at 4K, if AMD can get the CPU overhead of their driver down they could win at lower resolutions as well.  Additionally there is the general expectation that the Fury will simply be a air-cooled Fury X (Same performance, just with less overclock headroom) so considering its $550 price tag, would certainly be a 980ti killer- slightly less performance for a lot less money.  If that is indeed the case though AMD really botched the launch, the air-cooled version for $100 less should have come out first.  Or at least had the water-cooled version voltage-unlocked for the reviewers so they could see if the overclocking is worth the $100 water cooler.

I do expect drivers to make a substantial difference.  AMD has a history of fine tuning its cards via the drivers after launch.  Many of their cards move up a level compared to Nvidia over their support lifespan.

So overall a poor launch, (This generation's version of the 290X flamethrower stock cooler incident.) but the card has potential.  I'm cautiously optomistic.

That seems good enough to me!
Currently have a GT 430, so that's going to be a considerable upgrade regardless. And at the current price, it's within my budget. Of course I'd have preferred a completely new system with all the horns and flashing lights, but...

It was either this, or a PS4. And a new card seems to be the better investment, considering I'm slowly losing interest in consoles, it seems.

Edited by Melfice

It was kind of slimy how Nvidia conveniently forgot to mention that two of the RAM chips had to share a controller, resulting in awful performance if you needed that last 0.5 GB... apparently it was buried in the spec sheets but nobody noticed it. 

It's still a good card regardless, the issue rarely comes up.  Most people never even notice.

And yeah, really consoles are irrelevant, and have been for the past few years.  The only compelling reason to purchase one is for the exclusives, a PC can do everything else a console can, but better and usually cheaper.

Edited by dwwojcik