[1.1.8]Resilience Freebuild Server[24/7][Graylist][PvE][Survival][20 slots][Mumble]

ks7

I'm at work until 9 tonight, but I'll take a look as soon as I get home. Did anyone do anything or notice anything before the server went down? It's odd that we've had issues almost exclusively on the weekends...

I'm at work until 9 tonight, but I'll take a look as soon as I get home. Did anyone do anything or notice anything before the server went down? It's odd that we've had issues almost exclusively on the weekends...

Yep i thought exactly the same that maybe someone who only plays at weekends has a build that unintentionally causes issues.

An hour or 2 before server went down lag began to affect several people at different times. But there seemed to be no pattern.

People began to have issues where the actual launcher would close on them which is pretty odd. Not sure how many this happened to but I saw it a few times in chat.

There were a good a mount of people online, around 14 I think.

Apart from the build up of lag there was no real warning or indication of problems when the server gave up.

Edit: to Tub, I started using that pic on a forum when I played Dayz. (zombie apoc' survival game) I kinda just kept using it. But that's the reason for it :)

Regarding Anchors. It is possible that there could be any unknown number still out there on the map for several reason.

Lot's of players who may have placed several each and no longer log on.

But mostly because of the poor particle effect they use to locate them is next to useless unless you happen to be standing on one.

These need to be kept in game for several reasons. But maybe change the id and revert them all to dirt blocks then do a map save. Then re launch and with crafting disabled the admin can place down those that are needed in the places needed.

I think that's the only way your going to clear up the anchors because manual removal is not practical for reasons stated.

This will of course need a scheduled downtime to achieve.

Just remembered also. There was some talk in chat about someone using the watch of flowing time.

I didn't see any evidence of this though while I was online.

Edit: Just thought if it was an issue like undetected anchors, would the problems not be showing themselves all the time ? We have an issue that seems to grow with time untill eventually the server can no longer cope.

If it was too many chunks loaded there would be lag and issues the moment it starts up no ?

Is the server generating Error reports when it crashes ?

So, i did notice a bit of lag throughout the morning. At one point about 4 people dropped the server. They immediately rejoined, but 4 dropping the server at one time is indicative of an issue arising i would think. When the lag became a bit more noticeable, i started shutting my Advanced Machines, and my BlazeRod Loop. Not sure if the BlazeRod Loop actually got shut down though. Before I finally got booted from the server crash, I was teleported back into another room :/. I have no IC Pipes and i was not lagging in my particular chunk.

Errm, I used a buildcraft filler on clear mode for some terraforming, I was getting some lag when i joined, and for some odd reason 2 loot ball's from the ee2 tools, though i could only pick 1 up, and in order to get rid of the rest i had to relog (It appeared as though I was the only one getting this, so this might just be my problem), other than that the only thing I can think of is that the server hates weekends.

V00doocat Said:

Just remembered also. There was some talk in chat about someone using the watch of flowing time.

I didn't see any evidence of this though while I was online.

I didn't know that the watch-of-time worked in SMP. Aswell, the person who made one made it last week (I think, don't trust me on this). If they did work, then that might explain the lagg.

Just a note on TWOFT. Whenever someone does use one, apart from the obvious dangers time never seems to get back to normal again afterwards for a long time.

The sun / moon stutters across the sky, taking the occasional step backwards.

I'm not the only person to have noticed this.

This is different behaviour from the normal smp quirks associated with the movement of the heavens.

The watch is a very commen item to be disabled in servers as it causes too many issues for multiplayer

It puts a massive strain on the server...

I know the server is about trust and freedom.. But with these crashes becoming more frequent and the server struggling i think it is time to maybe start disabling some of the more potent items

Admins can always spawn them in to trusted players for crafting (gem armour in the case of the watch) and other reasons (anchors where needed ect)

These are just suggestions as i really do enjoy this server and its community..

Also another option might be to Get a dedicated host and not run it from home...

Im pretty sure you can get Hosting domains pretty cheaply and also would give some incentive for a donation scheme..

Im pretty sure a few of the members would be willing to make a donation if possible

Anchors shouldn't be required at all.. Teleport Tethers work just as well..

As for the watch, It should be disabled and spawned in as needed.. Far too many problems can be caused for it to be useful..

Dedicated hosts are OK, but even for a 20 slot server it's looking to be $30-$40 a month...

I'd just suggest setting a remote desktop system so the server could be reset remotly.. I think there's a few that could be accessed from Android/Iphones...

I can tell you right now, I definitely won't be switching to a hosting service. As far as controlling it remotely, I actually already use LogMeIn to access my home server, but I haven't purchased the Android app for it yet (it's overpriced :P). I may consider doing that soon though so that I can restart it remotely (the browser version is virtually impossible to use on my phone). I can tell you that I'm strongly considering banning some of the more troublesome items, and I probably will use MCEdit to remove existing world anchors in the near future. I am also definitely going to be building a new server soon, although I have yet to decide if it will be now or if I will wait until Black Friday. I'll update with a little more info when I get home.

There is nothing wrong with home servers. We would have these issues even if it were a paid for host because something is sucking up the resources, and it wouldn't matter if you had the most powerful server going. All it would mean is it would take longer to get to the point where it couldn't cope.

And anyway we are getting ahead of ourselves as those are personal decisions.

We play on a server as invited guests by someone who does what we can't be arsed to do, or afford to do, or maybe both.

The remote starting app sounds ideal but yeah the prices of some of those apps are insulting.

Being able to do restarts would be cool. But in the short term the underlying problem needs to be found.

Getting rid of those anchors is a good start imo otherwise the new hardware KS is willing to buy will go to waste if the problems can't be found. I think we are going to have to admit to ourselves that some in game sacrifices are needed.

Even if a couple of items were removed as far as I can see this server would still have more freedom than anything else out there.

There are some things that cause problems that the fun they give in return can't be justified.

I for one know I would much prefer to be online with a few missing items rather than posting crap on a forum.

There is nothing wrong with home servers. We would have these issues even if it were a paid for host because something is sucking up the resources, and it wouldn't matter if you had the most powerful server going. All it would mean is it would take longer to get to the point where it couldn't cope.

And anyway we are getting ahead of ourselves as those are personal decisions.

We play on a server as invited guests by someone who does what we can't be arsed to do, or afford to do, or maybe both.

The remote starting app sounds ideal but yeah the prices of some of those apps are insulting.

Being able to do restarts would be cool. But in the short term the underlying problem needs to be found.

Getting rid of those anchors is a good start imo otherwise the new hardware KS is willing to buy will go to waste if the problems can't be found. I think we are going to have to admit to ourselves that some in game sacrifices are needed.

Even if a couple of items were removed as far as I can see this server would still have more freedom than anything else out there.

There are some things that cause problems that the fun they give in return can't be justified.

I for one know I would much prefer to be online with a few missing items rather than posting crap on a forum.

Cant really agree more than that....

Sums it all up perfectly

• game name thechuckman46
  • Age13 im more mature for my age
  • Location NE, US
  • Minecraft experience to date I started playing in late May but im really good
  • Why do you want to play on our server? (give me a little detail, 'it looks cool' probably won't be enough to get you whitelisted. I'm looking for more than just a single line.) I want to explore all parts of tekkit and much more but i just want to work with others to maybe build a castle or factory that makes armor or food and much much more

Announcements

• Anything claiming to be official Technic servers are not allowed here, for obvious reasons