Lethosos

Kitty Jail 2: You Can (not) Escape

1223 posts in this topic

So.

I have the computer I want on the screen here. All the parts, it's all there.
I have the money, and I have no further commitments coming up that I want to keep it for.

Why haven't I clicked "order" yet?
Because for the same money, I can buy two used cars* (A '97 Opel/Vauxhal Astra convertible, and an '01 Volkswagen Polo, if you were interested). That's quite a bit of money. Which is very scary.

Gonna do it anyway! But it's scary!

 

* Why two used cars? Why not one more expensive used car? Because that's not how my brain works!

 

EDIT: Just did it! It's gonna be built soon.

Edited by Melfice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Melfice said:

So.

I have the computer I want on the screen here. All the parts, it's all there.
I have the money, and I have no further commitments coming up that I want to keep it for.

Why haven't I clicked "order" yet?
Because for the same money, I can buy two used cars* (A '97 Opel/Vauxhal Astra convertible, and an '01 Volkswagen Polo, if you were interested). That's quite a bit of money. Which is very scary.

Gonna do it anyway! But it's scary!

 

* Why two used cars? Why not one more expensive used car? Because that's not how my brain works!

 

EDIT: Just did it! It's gonna be built soon.

So like 600-1200€? More? What exactly are you building here? Kinda curious since I plan on building a rig myself soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kocken926 said:

So like 600-1200€? More? What exactly are you building here? Kinda curious since I plan on building a rig myself soon.

I should have specified, I guess.
I don't mean "junker used". Like, "160,000 km on the odometer, but in really good condition, just one spot of rust that's been fixed properly".

This is a "good for the next decade" build (hopefully). €2800. Which... I guess is pretty dang excessive, but it means I can get on for a good bit.
Here's the parts. It does include a Windows license, and construction costs are included, of course. So, if you're intending on building it yourself, you'll likely end up quite a bit cheaper.

Corsair Carbide Air 540 ATX Cube - silber
ASUS Maximus VIII HERO, Intel Z170 Mainboard - Sockel 1151
Intel Core i7-6700K 4,0 GHz (Skylake) Sockel 1151 - tray
Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H100i V2 Komplett-Wasserkühlung
Corsair Vengeance LPX Series schwarz DDR4-2133, CL13 - 32 GB Kit
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, 8192 MB GDDR5X
Corsair CS-M Series CS650M Modular Netzteil, schwarz - 650 Watt
Samsung 950 Pro NVMe SSD, M.2 Typ 280-D3-M (NGFF) - 512 GB
Western Digital Red, SATA 6G, Intellipower, 3,5 Zoll - 1 TB
Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64 Bit, DSP/SB - DVD (englisch)
Creative Sound Blaster ZXR - Retail

 

Edited by Melfice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Melfice said:

I should have specified, I guess.
I don't mean "junker used". Like, "160,000 km on the odometer, but in really good condition, just one spot of rust that's been fixed properly".

This is a "good for the next decade" build (hopefully). €2800. Which... I guess is pretty dang excessive, but it means I can get on for a good bit.
Here's the parts. It does include a Windows license, and construction costs are included, of course. So, if you're intending on building it yourself, you'll likely end up quite a bit cheaper.

Corsair Carbide Air 540 ATX Cube - silber
ASUS Maximus VIII HERO, Intel Z170 Mainboard - Sockel 1151
Intel Core i7-6700K 4,0 GHz (Skylake) Sockel 1151 - tray
Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H100i V2 Komplett-Wasserkühlung
Corsair Vengeance LPX Series schwarz DDR4-2133, CL13 - 32 GB Kit
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, 8192 MB GDDR5X
Corsair CS-M Series CS650M Modular Netzteil, schwarz - 650 Watt
Samsung 950 Pro NVMe SSD, M.2 Typ 280-D3-M (NGFF) - 512 GB
Western Digital Red, SATA 6G, Intellipower, 3,5 Zoll - 1 TB
Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64 Bit, DSP/SB - DVD (englisch)
Creative Sound Blaster ZXR - Retail

 

How much is delivery/assembly running you? I didn't go and price everything out, so I could be totally wrong, but €2800 seems a bit high.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, TheBytemaster said:

How much is delivery/assembly running you? I didn't go and price everything out, so I could be totally wrong, but €2800 seems a bit high.

Don't quite remember where you're from, so apologies for the first item if you're familiar with it.
1) European prices. Likely a standard mark-up from US/elsewhere prices. Probably. Don't know.
2) This is a mass retailer. Likely a bit more expensive than a local PC shop.
3) I genuinely don't know what assembly costs. Probably, the assembly costs are included with the package price.

While it's a lot of money I can afford it, and regardless of whether it actually is, it seems a fair enough price to me.

Edited by Melfice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bought about 400 worth of computer parts on Friday. Turns out the rx 480 card that I got doesn't want to play nice with the mobo so that's gonna be another ~$100 for a new one + new case. It'll all be worth it though.

 

At least that's what I keep telling myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mooseman9 said:

Bought about 400 worth of computer parts on Friday. Turns out the rx 480 card that I got doesn't want to play nice with the mobo so that's gonna be another ~$100 for a new one + new case. It'll all be worth it though.

 

At least that's what I keep telling myself.

If you're playing at 180p that card'll last you quite a while, depending on what you want to play. Did you get 4 or 8GB with it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TheBytemaster said:

If you're playing at 180p that card'll last you quite a while, depending on what you want to play. Did you get 4 or 8GB with it?

Yeah, he'd probably be fine for the next century at 180p, but most games don't support that resolution :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2016-08-29 at 0:46 AM, Melfice said:

 While it's a lot of money I can afford it, and regardless of whether it actually is, it seems a fair enough price to me.

I'd say it's fair, I price-searched the parts on the swedish site prisjakt.se and came up with a grand total of 27179 swedish crowns which is about 2844€.

EDIT: Darn, I double posted. Well, it was fun knowing you all.

Edited by Kocken926
I'm a scrub

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd feel sorry for Kocken, but the lousy bastard deserves the worst punishment we have here.
Double posting like some sort of hooligan. The filthy delinquent.

(Right. That seems about right then, in terms of pricing. Thanks for looking it up.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheBytemaster said:

Double posting? Unthinkable! Who would do such a thing?

Exactly, it drives me postal!

Congratulations on the new PC, Melfice. It looks like a solid build.

Mooseman9, I'm eyeing an RX 480 - how is it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Munaus said:

anyone know a good deal for Xplosive male enhancement?

 

 

<.< asking for a friend >.>

Well, mister or madam Munaus!
Have I got a deal for you, yes sir/madam!

If you will just move your eyes over to the Cafe Lame section, amongst others, you may often find the best offers on Xplosive male enhancement(s)! Hundreds of vendors (not guaranteed; all vendors may be one and the same) offering sharp prices on Xplosive male enhancement(s)!

Order now, and get guaranteed (not guaranteed) luck with the ladies, through our international voodoo dating services!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, TheBytemaster said:

The Ugg life chose me.

I thought it chose Cheap instead?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lethosos said:

I thought it chose Cheap instead?

I merely adapted the Ugg life.

Cheap is the Ugg life incarnate. His very breath gives life to the dreams of Ugg Boots everywhere.

He is unstoppable. He is...

the Uggernaut.

Edited by TheBytemaster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RED TRUCK RED TRUCK RED TRUCK RED TRUCK RED TRUCK

Edited by TheBytemaster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/1/2016 at 7:48 PM, planetguy said:

Mooseman9, I'm eyeing an RX 480 - how is it?

Not too sure, I returned it actually and got a free 770 from a friend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys, look at all the universities we're (presumably) approved for!

St. Francis Xavier! Curtin! New Brunswick!
Amazing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/8/2016 at 8:50 AM, Neowulf said:

Oh internet, never change...

If you watch long enough, you might actually see my father there some day. (He has a second home over on the other side of the Tetons.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Similar Content

    • By paulchartres
      OFFICIAL TRAILER HERE
      Hey guys and girls !
      Do you remember Ultra Modded Survival, that amazing modpack Amaxter made, according to CaptainSparklez's series on it? I do too, and I can tell you I miss it. But hey, in life, everything changes ! That's why UMS has to get a new start : I am proud to present Supra Modded Survival ! This new pack combines the old UMS Pack as well as 30+ more mods, and 200+ quests ! Dive into a netting of mods that range from technology, magic, exploration, rpg and much much more !
      On top of that, you and your friends can play together : I made the server files available on this page, but fear not: new community servers will start to appear. Let's build new communities around what Amaxter has built !
      We will soon be getting an official server, hosted by the amazing community FrozenSoul ! It is currently under development and will be ready sometime this week. Meanwhile, you could try to familiarize with our 120+ mods!
      http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/supra-modded-survival.810800



    • By ShrillBear52
      So I found this thing on my custom modpack server,and I don't know what is this,or wich mod is from,anyone know what is this or to how to deal with it?????
       
      http://www.filedropper.com/2016-06-22-1756-37
    • By SteveBasedGod
      So i setup a mob grinder spawning slimes and i threw in zombie pigmen to grind gold and i came back after a little while to check the chests and i found a random enchanted sign with sharpness 4 knockback 2 and fire aspect 1 and +10 health when you are holding it in your hands. It is jsut a normal sign from minecraft with enchants and health when you mouse over it. Any idea what mod makes these drop? What mob drops them? What the rate is?
    • By Cancro_Senzafine
      Noticing an issue with Modular Powersuits. There are random massive overheats which lead to death. Found a video containing what I've noticed here. Found a server's forums listing the issue here. This started in 1.2.8 and has gotten worse with 1.2.9. I am trying to test what might be causing it, and I would like some help. If you've already figured this out or the answer is somewhere I haven't looked yet please let me know.
       
      Thank you.
    • By TheMrFailz
      UPDATE: I looked into a bit more and tried getting my client to crash and I finally did it. It mentioned that the reason for the crash was something along the lines of "Weak map hash.".
       
      I'll keep this short and to the point. Issue(s):
       
       
       
       
      Other than these issues, the mod pack runs extremely well and so far hasn't caused any noticeable frame rate drops despite the 100+ mods. LAN was run with 1 other person and under most instances both me and the other client were in the same Dimension at all times barring the teleporting sequence. The other client experiences no lag spikes after he/I go to the Nether. I think the random crashes are not crashes at all, rather the game closing it's self for some reason. It's not caused by any one thing and happens randomly.
       
      Edits:
      Added quotes due to editor mashing everything together.
      Sorry if it's hard to read. Every time I make it formatted nicely it adds all the lines into one long one.