Kitty Jail 2: You Can (not) Escape

Lethosos

That said, damnitIwannabeplayingrightnow! I can pull unwavering 30FPS on low settings with DX11 in 1280x720 windowed on my 6 year radeon hd 5700. If I drop it to DX10 it frees just enough memory to do 1920x1080 full screen  low settings according to the settings dialog.

​*Looks up comparisons between my Radeon HD 6800 Series thingamajig and your card*

Shit. Seem like I'm due for an update. BUT. Is there any point in faffing about with crossfire or should I just replace my card altogether? Also, how do I check for compatibility or bottleneck issues? How do I know whether or not it would be cheaper just to replace the whole computer when you take heating issues into account?

Meeh, too much work, maybe I'll give GTA V a pass, for a while at least.

(did get a well paying summer job though, so maybe now would be a good time to invest before I go off to study and waste all my money on Koskenkorva and rent. Decisions, decisions...)

Okay, so the front page shows me as being the most recent poster in KJ, but when I check on the thread my post doesn't show up. Also, sometimes I will get an alert about a reply and said reply won't show up for hours. Anyone else getting similar effects? Maybe it's all the voodoo marriage bots getting revenge by spooking up the servers...

​*Looks up comparisons between my Radeon HD 6800 Series thingamajig and your card*

Shit. Seem like I'm due for an update. BUT. Is there any point in faffing about with crossfire or should I just replace my card altogether? Also, how do I check for compatibility or bottleneck issues? How do I know whether or not it would be cheaper just to replace the whole computer when you take heating issues into account?

Meeh, too much work, maybe I'll give GTA V a pass, for a while at least.

(did get a well paying summer job though, so maybe now would be a good time to invest before I go off to study and waste all my money on Koskenkorva and rent. Decisions, decisions...)

​A single more powerful card is always better than two weaker ones, especially since Video RAM doesn't stack.  6800 isn't very specific, but they all do have only 1 GB of RAM which is pretty tight.

I don't know when you got your card, or the rest of your computer, but if it was around the time the 6000s came out then your PC is pushing 5 years old now, so at this point I'd say get a whole new one if you can afford it.

​A single more powerful card is always better than two weaker ones, especially since Video RAM doesn't stack.  6800 isn't very specific, but they all do have only 1 GB of RAM which is pretty tight.

I don't know when you got your card, or the rest of your computer, but if it was around the time the 6000s came out then your PC is pushing 5 years old now, so at this point I'd say get a whole new one if you can afford it.

​Well apparently someone can still see my posts, but they're still invisible to me. That's annoying. Anyone got any idea of why I randomly can't see posts, and why my own are more prone to disappear on me?

Also, my computer as shown by Speccy:

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Deneb 45nm

8,00 GB Double-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz

ASUSTeK Computer INC. M4A87TD/USB3 (Motherboard)

AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series (ATI AIB)

And a 1TB harddrive.

I'm under the impression that I've got a good enough CPU, at least.

Check the physical card for the full model number, or check your catalyst control center for the hardware specs to get the memory and clock speed. The first 2 numbers denote family and memory (roughly), which tells me your 6800 has a gig of ram just like my 5700. The trailing 2 gives the relative clock speed, which in my case would be 70 (HD 5770) due to my clock speed being 850MHZ.

Checking the performance you could play it a little better than me.

But yeah, a card upgrade is a better idea than crossfire. If only due to the need for another 250W of full load capacity from your power supply.

I seem to having a similar, if not the same problem as Kocken is having.

It's a very weird delay. The notification system is on-time, but the thread itself seems to pull up an old page, and THEN chooses to update. Very weird.

But yeah, a card upgrade is a better idea than crossfire. If only due to the need for another 250W of full load capacity from your power supply.

​Couldn't I try to get a new card (a really good one) and better RAM, plug it into my current machine and see if it works out? (PSU load taken into account, ofc).

Then, when the time comes or if it produces too much heat, I could get "the rest" of a new computer.

Also, I still can't see any of my own posts after the GoT slam one, so I don't know which has come through and which have gotten voodood.

​Couldn't I try to get a new card (a really good one) and better RAM, plug it into my current machine and see if it works out? (PSU load taken into account, ofc).

Then, when the time comes or if it produces too much heat, I could get "the rest" of a new computer.

​Sure.  If it was me I'd feel better about just getting a whole new computer all at once, clean slate and all that, but there's no reason why you couldn't just try a new graphics card.

I seem to having a similar, if not the same problem as Kocken is having.

It's a very weird delay. The notification system is on-time, but the thread itself seems to pull up an old page, and THEN chooses to update. Very weird.

​I think the forum software doesn't like to show a brand new page with too few posts on it, so it waits until there's enough comments to make a new one..  It's cleaner I guess but it's terrible for actually carrying out a conversation.

Edited by dwwojcik

Frozen Synapse Prime is in the weekly humble bundle, and I'm feeling generous, so if anyone here would like to play with me/each other/whoever, I could buy you a gift bundle. Each one also comes with an extra Frozen Synapse key to gift to someone else.

Here's the trailer:

Just PM me your email if you'd like one. :tipshat: (I already bought an extra bundle, so it'd be a waste if no-one took it.)

Edited by TheBytemaster

Check the physical card for the full model number

http://imgur.com/aDTvfJb  Off brand cooling, I can't even see the AMD logo on the parts of the card that are visible.

Or check your catalyst control center for the hardware specs to get the memory and clock speed. The first 2 numbers denote family and memory (roughly), which tells me your 6800 has a gig of ram just like my 5700. The trailing 2 gives the relative clock speed, which in my case would be 70 (HD 5770) due to my clock speed being 850MHZ.

​Thanks for the tip, clock speed is at 1000MHz, memory at 1024Mb. Could always go overdrive, but that won't really solve anything if it's the memory that's the problem...

Edited by Kocken926
Wait, these edit reasons show up in the post now?

Memory will let you add more detail, speed lets you do it with more FPS.

1gig of vram is enough to play at PS3/Xbox360 detail levels. My real problem right now is the input scheme (aircraft are horrible with KB+M) and internet speed (hard to play when everything is teleporting).

Yes, assuming you meant "choir" and not "quire".

Not so sure about folded sheets of paper sounding good, but I'm pretty sure those don't have vocal cords or vocal chords.

Edited by ValkonX11

​I have no idea what you are talking about and I always spell everything correctley.

​Clearly.

In other news, started playing Tekkit on a server today. Nice people, good server. Been running strong for about a week now, from what I can tell. Suddenly everything starts lagging horribly and the server keeps crashing. Nobody knows what's going on until someone admits that they recently found a strange sapling in a jungle temple and had planted it.

The beast known only as the Sacred Rubber Tree has struck again.

​Clearly.

In other news, started playing Tekkit on a server today. Nice people, good server. Been running strong for about a week now, from what I can tell. Suddenly everything starts lagging horribly and the server keeps crashing. Nobody knows what's going on until someone admits that they recently found a strange sapling in a jungle temple and had planted it.

​For a minute I was guessing you were talking about this: http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/04/just-released-minecraft-exploit-makes-it-easy-to-crash-game-servers/

​Clearly.

​That still exists? I thought they removed them

Or perhaps I've just been fortunate not to come across another...

PSA: If your Nginx instance is mysteriously refusing to forward requests to upstream servers, check to make sure it was actually compiled with proxy support instead of just assuming. Took me a freaking day and a half to figure out.

Well actually that... that probably isn't useful to anyone but me. But still. The more you know.