The New Technic Platform and Launcher

KakerMix

• Forum Administrators

I was going to wait until the stream to ask about this, but maybe it's worth saying now. Is it possible to differentiate server specific packs from other mod packs? My pack is designed specifically for a single server and I know there are a lot of other packs just like that. Maybe making some check boxes for pack makers to define their set up could ease in categorizing packs and make searching simpler for users in the long run. Everyone is looking for something different. Some people want to play something cool by themselves or find a fun pack that they can use to make a server on their own. And in the case of my pack, it already comes with the server and you just need to download and log in. Separating these categories could also help make different types of packs with higher quality more visible that might fall under the radar because their scope isn't as grand as some of the more popular packs. Just some thoughts.

We have addressed this in the new Platform. We will go over it in detail during the stream.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have addressed this in the new Platform. We will go over it in detail during the stream.

Oh trust me, I'll be there. I can't wait to see what you guys have in store. It's genius, I am 100% sure!

I'm getting tired of advertising my server on places like planet minecraft, minecraft forums, and FTB, where it mixes with bukkit and people don't understand how modpacks work. Technic already knows the deal. I said FTB because half the time when you advert a server, they delete your post or downvote you to oblivion on Reddit. Real classy gig they have going over there. Most of my best players have come from Technic. I know that increasing the visibility as a "server pack" can only help that in the long run.

You should enlist MrDrKovacic. He can possibly make making custom modpacks easier(as in:1. select the mods you want to put in your modpack. 2.Click ok. 3.enjoy!

What..? I don't even. heh

Posted · Hidden by GenPage, March 26, 2014 - Wrong thread
Hidden by GenPage, March 26, 2014 - Wrong thread

Will you be fixing the latest bug's that are coming with Galacticraft, AOTBT and Voltz? If so how long will this take to fix? and when can we be expected to get the new not so buggy versions or when will the update in the launchers be released?

• Moderators

snip

Wrong thread for this. Skuli and CanVox are working on the pack updates.

Edit. @Technic, no response on the socks?

no?

ok. But you are planning on selling shirts someday soon, I hope?

Edited by Munaus

Sponsored packs:

Either for a flat fee, or weekly bids you could auction off 5 slots to have your modpack always on the top of the page (like minestatus does, but with our packs instead and hopefully not as expensive)

I'd also love to see broken/nonworking packs set to hidden  so they're taken off the list of "top rated" because it's annoying to see so many dead/not working packs with angry players in the discussion. Just some random thoughts/suggestions.

E: Sorry if this isn't the place for it, I saw the post mention costs running Technic and had some ideas of things I'd pay for.

This could be a thing. I'm an old man with steady disposable income. My server has been running since Tekkit v1.1.4 came out 2 years ago and it has some rather dedicated players so I haven't really bothered with the whole "promote my server" thing that much. If I could just take 10 $ from the donations pool, give it to you and get a dozen new players in return I would maybe do it however.

Edited by RebelNode

Punch the Monkey to get a free Diamond!

I can't believe you just...

Do you know how hard it's been forgetting about that kind of stuff?  I'll bet we've got a tiled stars background, little under_construction_men.gif files and one of those dripping blood bar page breaks next!  You see what you're stirring up?

I can't believe you just...

Do you know how hard it's been forgetting about that kind of stuff?  I'll bet we've got a tiled stars background, little under_construction_men.gif files and one of those dripping blood bar page breaks next!  You see what you're stirring up?

Not to mention rainbow text, <blink>, a hit counter, and a hidden midi playing something popular.

State of the art geocities pages for platform entries, that's the way to go.

I have a few suggestions for the new launcher. First off, you should seriously re add Technic pack. That modpack was what made the technic launcher what it is today. Second, update Tekkit lite. Third you should readd forestry to Tekkit classic. I know that you're going to say that the Tekkit in 1.6 is the update to tekkit lite but many people don't believe it since you can't really call a modpack "tekkit" that didn't have what Tekkit 2 had. Trust me I love the technic Launcher, it was the first official modpack launcher and Technic ssp or Technic pack was the first Modpack and Tekkit was the first official multiplayer modpack. But you guys took Technic pack out. That was the modpack that made you guys what you are today. Many people are now abandoning the technic launcher and moving to Feed the beast and ATlauncher. I would hate to see this happen to the Technic Launcher. Trust me so here are all my ideas that I hope that you guys take into consideration. Re add Technic pack, leave it in 1.2.5 then make an updated version of it, call the 1.2.5 Technic classic, you can make a lite version but for Technic pack in 1.6.4 replace ee2 with ee3, replace thaumcraft 2 with thaumcraft 4 and redpower 2 with projectred. These mods have to be replaced hence they have not been updated, and readd forestry to Technic pack. For tekkit, readd forestry to tekkit classic, and The Tekkit in 1.6.4 isn't really tekkit, it doesn't have ic2 or projectred or many of the mods that made tekkit, tekkit. You can keep that tekkit but call it something like "Tekkit space" or something like that because it is not the original tekkit. For the tekkit in 1.6.4 keep everything that tekkit classic had but add forestry, and replace ee2 with ee3 and redpower with project red. For the Launcher, Make an option that makes the launcher look like the old launcher, readd the same background. Also re add Voxel to the Technic Launcher. Trust me these are Ideas that can save the technic launcher! Many people are abandoning the technic launcher because of all the changes from 1.2 to 1.3, now if Pahimar (the guy that made equivalent exchange) update ee2 then USE IT! If redpower gets updated than USE IT! For technic and tekkit use matmos and for technic try to get mo-creatures in 1.6 but if they aren't available in 1.6 then dont use them. As I was saying about the launcher, there are people who have abandoned the technic launcher cause of the fact that it has basically taken out and altered tekkit in the wrong way. You can't really call a modpack withou ic2, and everything that tekkit 2 had tekkit and most people feel the same way. No one actually thought that "tekkit" was an update but just a different type of tekkit. We all though that you were going to update tekkit lite. Now I sincerely hope that you follow my advice, cause I would hate to see the technic launcher fall. Remember, this is for the good of the technic launcher! I love the technic launcher, and I'm guessing that the technic launcher is the called the technic launcher is that it launched technic pack and tekkit. Taking out technic and totally altering tekkit, taking out ic2 and the mods that made tekkit, tekkit, is like saying, "Hey lets make a Batman movie without Batman!" That is basically what people feel that you have done to the technic launcher. So I hope you follow my advice. Trust me, changing up the launcher and making it more flashy isn't going to help. So take my advice and consumer advice or else the technic launcher is dead, it will fall if the consumers aren't satisfied. So follow consumer advice and good luck and god be with you! 

Edited by Aci H

• Moderators

"Hey lets make a Batman movie without Batman!" That is basically what people feel that you have done to the technic launcher.

I enjoy the mods that are in Technic pack. Does that mean that I never got the survey? You know, the one you been obviously sending to everyone, asking them if they like the mods in the pack?

When you are done hyperventilating, go try the Technic modpacks with the new mods.

Nobody is "abandoning" Technic. How the hell are bug reports increasing if people are "leaving"? Explain that to me

we're looking at having a single small ad (300x250) within the launcher itself. Nothing is set in stone and we certainly don't want to upset the community, but the reality is things cost money and they have to be paid for somehow. 

I think that's fine as long as these three conditions are met:

1. No insecure flash

2. No audio

3. Usage of the launcher is not interrupted

it will fall if the consumers aren't satisfied. So follow consumer advice and good luck and god be with you!

I'm pretty sure the vast majority of users are satisfied. The new packs are different, which is not inherently bad. As a matter of fact, the new stuff is better.

Technic, Tekkit Lite, and Tekkit Classic were discontinued for a reason- The mods in them are no longer available.

Snip

Someone REALLY doesn't like change. Or grammar. Since when are people running off in droves to join the FTB fan club? FTB has literally nothing on Technic. They have some (poorly made) modpacks and a .. second rate launcher in comparison. They do not have Solder. And they don't have any of the other amazing technology that the Technic team has in store. The mods and modpacks that are a part of this community != the sum total of Technic and its future. Technic is a platform, a launcher; a system designed to bring amazing things to the public in a unique and interesting way that makes it much easier for the people behind the scenes and the end users. If you don't like the modpacks that they put together, seriously, get over it and make your own exactly how you want it to be! That is the power that they give you, and for free. In summation, Technic isn't going to "Fall" as you say. They aren't making a grand display as a last move to save themselves from collapse. They are making progress and forging a new way into the future with even more cool things. If you don't have anything constructive to say, sometimes it's best not to say anything.

Well, I missed it obviously (it was 2 AM (3 AM actually, summer time went in then)), because I was asleep.

Maybe a more Europe friendly time next time you guys do something like this?

So... What big announcements did I miss?

And my question: What kind of modpack are you working on / going to be working on next? Hexxit-like, Tekkit-like or something totally different?

Or are you guys going all in on the launcher and money stuff now? 

Edited by Gio²

• Moderators

my phone waked me, so I did catch some of the stream.

butts

new platform

new launcher

farts

will sell t-shirts, when they do it the "right, proper way"

kakermix got the nickname trailmix

that pretty much sums it up. I did miss the beginning of the discussion, but my main interest was the t-shirts

Edit. they said they were gonna upload it to youtube, havent found it there...

Edited by Munaus

my phone waked me, so I did catch some of the stream.

butts

new platform

new launcher

farts

will sell t-shirts, when they do it the "right, proper way"

kakermix got the nickname trailmix

that pretty much sums it up. I did miss the beginning of the discussion, but my main interest was the t-shirts

Edit. they said they were gonna upload it to youtube, havent found it there...

Also sct is not a Muslim but everyone wants him to be.